which anti-virus should i go for on a fresh install?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iceni60, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i just installed XP and i was going to reinstall AntiVir as i really like it, but i know there are some good trial AVs. what is the best option, or what are the options, as my on-access AV? thanks.

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am an antivirus nut and have used just about everyone out there. I just dropped all of my antivirus programs and got the trend micro internet security and I use bit defender 7.2 free as a backup and am very happy with the resources use and the protection is good I will never use all of the modules available in TMIS but it is the av that i have decided on. And did I mention It is not hard on resources ;)

bigc

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

BigC,
    I need to replace my ZAP (expired) someday and I am running Bit Free 7.2 too Would like to keep it. I am currently using the EZ AV 12 mo. trial which is up in August. This is on my Compaq now the Emachine is fine for now with other products.

1. If I uninstall ZAP and EZ AV and replaced it with TMIS would resource useage be less or what?

2. Would my protection be improved? Does it get all roped up in your system the way Norton does?

3. Hows the firewall, is it a knockoff, or their own product?

Thanks Pal. ;)

5. bigc73542

It is a trend in house firewall, it doesn't have a ton of settings but seems to work just fine. It blocks spam ip addresses works on wirelessnetworks ant it is pretty easy on resources I imagine it is lower than what you are useing. it has an antispyware module also. it actually is a pretty good product. i won't say it is the best in the world but it is as good as they are imo.

bigc

here is a short list of some of the components

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thanks BigC for the quick reply. I have most of the stuff turned off on my ZAP. I am behind a FW router and really just want a solid firewall in that department a bunch of complex settings is really not for me. And of course (AV resident expert) a solid AV goes without saying. Even tho I do not currently use there AV. I get their Virus email alerts, sounds like they are on top of things. I will give them a look and serious consideration. Thanks again. :)

7. bigc73542

I also use a router and trend recognizes it immediatly if you activate the home network protection. and the virus protection is great. And I have had three updates today alone.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

id like to use the TMIS but the trial is too short, and i like kerio firewall. do you think McAfee will go well with ewido and A2. is the Mcafee trail the full AV for one year?

9. bigc73542

I have used mcafee and ewido and a2 plus all of javacools apps and they play well together The mcafee trial is you pay for it and you get the full amount in a rebate. you get your money back but you have to buy it first if you are talking the deal at microsoft.

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, i think im going to try McAfee then :) . it is the normal full version is it?

11. bigc73542

yes it is the full version, the same as if you bought it from the mcafee site.

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

oh, i think ill stick with AntiVir, i dont really want it, but i'll have it if i can get it without any bother, i dont want rebates. i'll go and get AntiVir and BitDender now. thanks for the help :)

13. bigc73542

anytime iceni60

14. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I was going to use McAfee before I found out that their auto updates only occurred once a week. Kaspersky updates at least once a day and sometimes more often. They must have a bunch of signature crazy guys in that company.

I tried KAV 5.0, but at the time there were too many problems with the builds. I ended up getting KAV 4.5 form ICE Systems (you should check out their KAV forums). So far I am very happy. KAV 4.5 together with ProcessGuard 3.0 and FireFox 1.0 create a very tight environment. I use other products for backup on-demand scans (e.g. NOD32 for heuristics) - but so far this configuration has held tight. I only run Ad-aware on a regular basis to catch some tracking cookies.

Rich

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

my Mum's in the US at the moment and she said she'd get me a Christmas present :eek: i know it's abit late, but it's true. is there anything good i can get in the US now? AV-AT wise

16. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Kav is great if you're not paying .... or try getting that extendia single (KAV) engine 10$ economical AV....
    it's great.
    Or you could do what a distant cousin of mine did... buy NOD32 and the free 12 month license EZAV + EZfirewall lite from http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/ ... and use optional install to run only the AV.
    If the offer isn't available anymore, PM me... I may be able to help one person...

17. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

If you want KAV, email ICE Systems and request a competitive discount for switching antivirus applications. It worked for me, and I got a very nice discount.

If they email you back with the discount price, and the price is right, call them on the 800 number, and then place your order, and you will get receipt and license key in an email. Make sure you tell whoever is taking the order the persons name that gave you the discount. Took less than two hours to get my license key once I placed the order over the telephone.

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

At this site there are results of tests of 10 AV.
    http://www.anti-virus-software-review.com/

The Bit Defender was rated tops, and was less expensive than most of the others.

I had not considered using Bit Defender as my main AV, but this test makes me wonder. I notice that the Virus Bulletin rated it 100% for Windows XP Pro.

With a price of $29.95 isn't this a good option compared to NAV and McAfee? I had planned to get either NOD32 or Kasperesky.
    On my present computer I have used NAV through 2003 version. However, because if its size I do not plan to continue to use it on my new computer.

Any advice?

Jerry

19. bigc73542

20. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

AVG Pro better than NOD32 that comment I take with a pinch of salt.

21. bigc73542

it would take more than a pinch salt, probably hypnotism ;)

22. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

Reading through the reviews suggest that the reviewer simply did not fully understand what he was doing, as some of his remarks contradicts the marks given.

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I note that Virus Bulletin shows several that are 100% for Windows XP. If that is what one has, then why should he care if it is not 100% with Windows Server 2003, for instance?

I also wonder why one 100% AV is better than another rated the same. It would seem that if a person chooses one that is !00%, the free one is as good as Kaspersky. What makes the difference that causes sometimes hot arguments? All I want is AV protection.

This is a question and not a question for argument as such.

Thanks,
    Jerry

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I went to the site, and am dl EZArmor but I am not sure what it is. Is it a combination AV and firewall?

Thanks,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.