Minimize Bitdefender 7 free system usage?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by halcyon, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

I've searched for this here, but I have not found any solutions:

How to ìdentify/disable unneeded Bitdefender 7 Free components?

By default the following system processes are run by BD 7:

1) BDMCON.EXE - BitDefender Management Console / 2,1 MB used
    2) BDSS.EXE - BitDefender Scan Server ?? / 12,8 MB used
    3) XCOMMSVR.EXE - BitDefender Communicator Server (Manages communication between BitDefender components) / 3,4 MB used

The memory amount used are from my system and may vary from system to system.

Now, based on what I've tried, I think that:

- If I disable 1, I don't get automatic updates (?)
    - If I disable 2, I lose the ability to request a scan with right click: "Scanning Service is not available!"

Questions:

- Can 3 be disabled safely (still on-demand scanning and updates)?
    - Can 1 be disabled somehow while still ensuring automatic updates?

All help is welcome.

regards,
    halcyon

PS Elsewhere in this forum:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12316&highlight=xcommsvr

2. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

I run Bitdefender Free without BDMCON.EXE (service) and it does stop automatic updates. I only use it as a back up so it's not a problem because I update as and when required.

Yes, that's what happened when I tried it.

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I have Bit Free on my old compaq and it is very light on RAM useage on my system. EZ AV as primary resident with BoClean and ZAP 5.1.

However, on my Emachine I run AVG 7 as a backup to Command AV with Norton Personal Firewall 2004. AVG 7 resident scanner and email modules not loaded. Both machines are 256 RAM and run with the Celeron processor the Emachine process speed is much faster being the younger machine.

Emachine total ram useage is 205 at idle speed. :doubt:

Compaq total ram useage is between 145 and 160 at idle speed. :)

My point is I find Bit very light anyway on my system. It could be the Norton PF is being a ram hog and not AVG at all. I will need to examine this closer. I have not had these back up AV's on my systems long. I would caution about turning things off sometimes this can cause instability. Interesting ;)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  4. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Thanks. I've disabled console and am setting up AutoIT to do updates and kill Xcommsvr as well.

5. lrtrees

lrtrees Registered Member

As several have done I just downloaded Bit Defender to use along with Trend Micro which I have been using for several months now.
    I use Trend as my resedent/always on scanner. Hope I said that right. I want to use BD as a backup as others here appear to be doing.
    After installing BD I see two entries when using msconfig/startup. They are bdmcom and bdnagent. When looking at task manager/processes, I see bdmcom and xcommsvr.exe, as was mentioned earlier in this post.
    My question, which has been partially answered here already, is what if anything do I need to keep running and how do I shut them down?
    I know how to keep bdmcom from running at startup, but I am not sure about bdnagent and xcommsvr.exe?

Thanks,
    Lon

6. ZZZ7

ZZZ7 Registered Member

Type services.msc in the run menu and stop any service you don't need!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.