Different Drive Letters on Boot CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bgw2002, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgw2002

bgw2002 Registered Member

True Image 8 (build 785)

When installing XP (sp2) on my system if rather kindly handed me the following setup;

C:\ my spare drive for data (13gb)
    D:\ DVD-R
    E:\ CDR-RW
    F:\ System Drive (81gb) i.e the one where XP decided to reside.

Ok at the time I considered this was strange, but then Microsoft has always done unexpect things!

Well the scenario or problem is that when you test the full boot disk (CD-RW)I get the following setup recognised

C:\ System drive (81gb) i.e the one where XP decided to reside.
    D:\ my spare drive for data (13gb)
    E:\ CDR-RW

In fact the E:\ drive depends on which CD I boot up from in the bios, but alas it will only find the one.

The the important question is that if I've taken and image of F:\ from the windows True Image running, I cannot rescue it to F:\ drive when the boot disk is run o_O

Does this mean this image is usless? would a image taken when the the DOS application is running be a better option? but again all the drive letters differ to the drives presented when XP is running?

Guess you see the dilemma, don't wish to sit here smug thinking I've got my bases covered when the harsh reality of a system crash will provide good evidence that I haven't!!!

PS I guess cordless mice are a bit difficult to get to work from the boot CD as well, not that tabbing won't get you around, just not used to it these days?

2. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

When booting from the CD, just restore to the "System Drive" (in your case the C drive when booting from the CD). Different platforms will give the drives different letters - it really doesn't matter, as long as you recognize your physical drives. If the restore works, then when you boot back up you should see the lettering as you are used to seeing it with XP.

More info here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=59253

3. bgw2002

bgw2002 Registered Member

Thanks jimmytop,

muddy waters have now been cleared and it all makes perfect logical sense, just needed to think of partitions and not drive letters.

cheers mate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.