Netcraft release an anti-phishing toolbar

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by gottadoit, Dec 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Looks like its well worth a look for those still using IE for banking...

Have a look at it at here at toolbar.netcraft.com

They are working on one for firefox as well

Terms of use include advertising and sponsorship in the toolbar

<snip>
    8 Advertising and sponsorship

Part of the Toolbar may contain advertising and sponsorship. Advertisers and sponsors are responsible for ensuring that material submitted for inclusion on the Toolbar complies with relevant laws and codes. We will not be responsible for any error or inaccuracy in advertising and sponsorship material.
    <snip>

This version's HJT entry on my computer is

O3 - Toolbar: &Netcraft Toolbar - {D554D8FC-B36D-4BB4-93DB-4A3394D505E3} - C:\Program Files\Netcraft-Toolbar\nctb.dll (filesize 0 bytes, MD5 D41D8CD98F00B204E9800998ECF8427E)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Uh oh, they seem like spyware... :(

3. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Nadirah, that was a very quick turnaround from "cool" to "spyware"
    I'd imagine the adblocker that you have in use would take care of any sponsorship....

But to be fair netcraft have been around for quite a while and do provide a very good free service (while collating data for the people that pay for their commercial services)

By its nature the toolbar app will be connecting to a central website/database to get its blocklist and you must be posting information to one of their servers when you report a phishing site

There is no real reason to believe that they are going to be spying....
    No trust is required here just run up ethereal or your favourite 'doze snooping application and have a look
    Its certainly what I will be doing sometime in the next few days

4. muf

muf Registered Member

5. iwmfs

iwmfs Registered Member

I tried Netcraft on IE6 for about a month and found that it really bogged down my browser considerably. It would take the initial opening of the browser about 10 seconds to load up and slower than usual in opening pages when browsing, and that's with a 2.4 Gig processor and on cable modem. I didn't think it was really worth the slowdown so uninstalled it.

Now Firefox has it's own extension called SpoofStick or something like that and it works fine. I can't tell any noticeable difference in speed with or without it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.