Trojan alert with cybersitter

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by rollers, Dec 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Hi there, I have installed cybersitter to keep the kids safe when online but I did a tds full system scan today and it threw up an alert for a trojan with this software. Is this because of the stealthy way that cybersitter works or because the file is infected?
    The alert window shows
    Scan Control Dumped @ 11:08:43 12-12-04
    RegVal Trace: Monitor.CyberSitter: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    File: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run [C2K=C:\WINDOWS\Cyb2k.exe]
    I am hoping it is a false alert, as the cybersitter software is brill.

Looking forward to your views.

2. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

It warns you about it because cybersitter and all similar programs can be used for remote monitoring and can therefore be used for bad purposes as well as good

That is why TDS is better than many others because it leaves you in charge and let's you decide what you want to do with files rather than automatically deleting them

3. rollers

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Can I take it that it is ok to ignore the file and it has only been recognised as it spys on users usage so to speak as well as filtering content.
    If so, can I exclude it from future scans.

Thanks

Rollers

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Rollers,
    The simple answer is yes. The more complicated answer is you might want to skip the exclusion.

TDS-3 exclusions (set by selecting Scan Control>Scan Exclusions>Add) are set at a directory level. The default location of cyb2k.exe is the Windows main directory (C:\WINDOWS). You don't want to exclude this entire directory.

It's been a while since I ran Cybersitter, but I seem to recall either an admonishment to not change the default install location for sake of stability of updates or that the install location could not be changed. Either way, when I used Cybersitter, the same question occurred to me. Ultimately, I decided to simply ignore this flag.

Blue

5. rollers

Thanks very much, I shall do the same. Nice to know that TDS is so sensitive, peace of mind.

Rollers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.