Installed Kaspersky and now it won't auto load on startup

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Msladybug02, Dec 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Msladybug02

Msladybug02 Registered Member

Installed trial Kaspersky and now it won't auto load on startup

I had a hard time with NAV and finally took off as much as I could. I downloaded the trial of Kaspersky 5.0 AV and everything seems to be working fine except....even though I chose load on start up, it does not load. I have to start the program manually. Kind of defeats the purpose.
    So I copied a shortcut into my "start up " folder and now it starts up, but now it opens up the whole user interface and won't minimize. So I have a huge open KAV window covering my desktop. Any suggestions?
    Could it be that the trial version does not have all the same components as the paid for version? :oops: o_O

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

What can i say, Norton be a pain both on & off the computer. ;) :) Now to your problem, i've attached a screenshot, are these two by chance not checked? :)

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      52.8 KB
      Views:
  3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If Don's suggestion does not work, the problem may be due to a incomplete removal of your previous AV.
    There are known conflicts with the 'debris' left over from a NAV uninstall and KAV. Did you try the Symantec Removal Utility for this AV; http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

I would try Rnav.exe first, then double-check with a good Registry Cleaner ( RegSupreme) that you have removed all traces of NAV, then uninstall/install KAV again.

You may also think about posting or carrying out a search over at the other KAV forum; http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=41530eb03feaffff;act=SC;c=1

4. Msladybug02

Thank you guys for responding..OK I looked at your screen shots and I had them both checked. Before I had only the "load on startup" checked and it would not even load. I would ctrl/alt/del to see if maybe it was running in the background, but it wouldn't even be there. Only when I clicked on it, would it start.
    So I just now went and made sure that the 1st box was checked and the 2nd box unchecked. Removed the shortcut that I put in the startup folder in order for it to even load, then rebooted.
    Nothing.
    Went and checked the 2nd box on loading options so they BOTH were checked, Rebooted. Nothing.
    Put the shortcut back into the Start up folder that wasn't there in the 1st. place..Loads now, but with the interface screen open, even with the 2nd box unchecked, rebooted. Same thing. Loads with the shortcut in the start up folder but whole program is open and won't minimize.

OK, the second response :)
    In my desperation I 'did' use their removal tool Rnav.exe, more than once, and did then add/remove programs of "any and all' Symantec and update programs. Also used the Windows Install Clean up, Rebooted. Went into MSCONFIG and there were files still in the system for Symantec...
    Went into program folders deleted common files "Shared Symantec", and the "Symantec folder" itself.
    Rebooted.
    Went to Symantec's site and look for MANUAL removal with registry editing, (Not feeling to comfortable with that) and followed their directions even though most of what they asked me to look for seemed to be already missing, maybe due to using Rnav.exe.
    Rebooted and I still see info in the TASK manager of a NAV32 program.

I "did not" however use a registry cleaner tool which I will do as soon as I'm finished writing this.
    I AM scared of removing KAV from my system because of all of the problems that was caused my trying to unistall NAV from my system.
    I've hear that KAV is almost as bad when it comes to getting the files off.
    My last resort is to format my harddrive.
    I've already ordered a 160 Gig external hardrive that should arrive by Friday to use between the 3 computers since my hubby's XP was having the same problem when I tried uninstalling NAV 2002 and installing NAV 2004. His seems fine now, but after all of the research I was doing on new AV software, it seemed like NAV still lets through some trojans.
    I just don't want Kaspersky to freak out and mount itself permanently on my system.

5. Blackcat

Compared to a NAV uninstall, most others are a piece of cake :D

The new KAV 5 has a good uninstall ( I have used it several times ) and Kaspersky have more confidence in this uninstall compared to the one in previous versions, as they have not produced a specific registry cleaner for KAV 5.

You can use the trial version of RegSupreme to clean up your registry.

You could also try the free Total Uninstall, to monitor any software installs in the future.

I would however, recommend a system restore point/ registry backup/disc image before you try any major changes to your computer.

6. Msladybug02

OK, I ran it but I didn't remove anything..So when this program scans the registry, it only find useless and non existent registry keys? It found quite a bit on mine, programs that I took off years ago, still on there.
    I did see the common files/shared folder that I manually removed. Guess it didn't work.
    OK, now because this is new to me....do I just check off EVERYTHING that showed up as non existent, or just do it in groups for Symantec only? :oops:
    I've never created a backup before on my system either...only restore points, which can be useless at times.
    I'm following your advice though, it can't get worse than where it's at now. :doubt:
    I'm going to look for that other program mentioned also.
    ;)

7. Don Pelotas

Yes, rightclick and choose "select all", rightclick again and choose "fix", a backup will be made in case something goes wrong (never has in my case). :)

8. Msladybug02

OK, I was too chicken so I went thorugh all 1500 files and just looked for anything that had Symantec or Norton in the name.
    Before I unistall KAV I decided to check something out and it's strange.
    Has to do with NAV...I used that program to get rid of the registry keys. After I rebooted, I decided to to run MSCONIG and I saw "NAVAPW32" in the startup area. I unchecked it. Restarted and it was there again. This file is pointing to an exe. I then went into the registry and found the file under HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/run
    I deleted it, and I exited, came back and it was there! Removed again, rebooted, it was there!
    It may be the reason that my AV program is not being able to start.
    Any suggestions? I don't want to uninstall KAV and find out that this one file is causing all of my problems, and it won't delete, it won't go away. YOu can see in the photo that there was another one below that I unchecked a day ago and it does not re-check itself like the one I'm pointing to does.... :'(

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  9. Don Pelotas

Have you deleted the Nortonfolder in programfiles? there might be a nortonfolder in "documents and settings > all users > application data" too, if so try to delete these (you may have to reboot before being able to). After this you may want to use the search-function in windows to see if there are more, then run RegSupreme again and see if it finds more. :)

10. Blackcat

11. Don Pelotas

You are too kind Blackcat, i see myself as your apprentice. :D ;)

Unfortunately i will have to go to bed now, but i will be back tomorrow. Good luck Msladybug02. :)

12. Msladybug02

That's too bad, you've been the most help. I've already done the functions that Don mentioned 2 days ago, so it really doesn't help me. None of those files and folders exist on my system. It's clean except for the registry modification bit. It's only this 1 file now.....

Blackcat, I'll try your 2 links and see what happens. So far everything you've mentioned, I've tried and it has really helped. I now have programs that I will use and keep on all systems.
    Thanks so much for your help Blackcat, you're a Genius! LOL

13. Msladybug02

You both have given me exceptional advice. I will try everything to get rid of the "last" remnant of NAV before I uninstall and reinstall KAV. I will post my findings.

You guys ROCK! :ninja:

14. Blackcat

Don and his 'assistant' will be back again tomorrow to offer you further help if you need it.

Keep us posted about your progress. Good Luck!!!!

15. Msladybug02

No luck. :( That darn NAVAPW32 will NOT get off of my system. I had to email KAV and they responded with asking for more information on what's running on my system.
    I tried the Dr.Delete, but I had a hard time trying to get it to find that registry key from the search options...
    Also I ran that registry fix and I've ran it 6 times now, and the same files keep popping up. Weird. NAVAP32 is one of them, that will not go away. When I run that registry fix utility, should I choose "remove" instead of backup? Does backup just make it inactive or does it take it off of the system and save it in a smaller backup file?
    If I knew that Norton was this much trouble I would have thought twice. :doubt:
    I guess if KAV tech support can't help me after they give me their findings, I guess I'll have no choice but to save all of my important files on the external hardrive, them format my disk.
    I hate Norton...... :p

16. muf

muf Registered Member

Here's an idea.
    Download hijackThis from here. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155
    Next run it and click on config.
    Make sure the option 'Include list of running processes in log files' is ticked.
    Next click the back button.
    Then click scan.
    Then click save log and save it somewhere convenient.

Now as they don't like HijackThis log files being posted here i suggest you copy and paste the contents of your HijackThis log file and post a message over at the DSLR forum. http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/security,1 Describe the steps you have attempted so far and ask for help. They will analyse your log file and will hopefully recommend steps to take to remove this Norton remnant. Here is an example request just so you get the idea. http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,12085238~mode=flat

muf

17. Msladybug02

Wow! Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and follow the steps and see what happens. I've never tried running that program so I'll make sure to take my time and do it right.
    I will post my finding on these steps. Can't hurt, right?. :doubt:

It takes 1 little problem to make a person feel stupid.

18. muf

muf Registered Member

HijackThis is a clever little application that shows you all the processes that are running on your pc and everything that autostarts at bootup. It has the facility to check some of the items and remove them. If used correctly it is invaluable. The folks over at DSLR have a lot of experience with this application. I'm quite possitive there's peeps over here that are experts in it's use as well, but they are more receptive to HijackThis logs over at DSLR.

muf

19. Blackcat

20. Msladybug02

You guys are too much! I really appreciate the help! :D
    I'm going to follow Muf's directions....Kaspersky tech support emailed me asking for me to run a utility and cut and paste the text file into my reply to them. I can't believe they actually emailed me back because I'm still using the trial. I do plan on buying though, I'm really impressed with the in-depth scans.
    It does use quite a bit of RAM, maybe I should go from 512mb to 768 or 1 gig to help my now slowed down system, but first things first. I need to get that darn NAV off.
    I'm going to quickly download the WinTASKS pro trial and see what it can do. :)
    I'm hoping and praying. :p
    Please, please, please work. :(

21. Blackcat

Yes, let's try and remove the parasitic navapw32 first, then we can suggest some tweaks for KAV.
    Let's hope the trial version will let you remove unwanted items!

Other possibilities include the free scanner;
    XoftSpy ;http://www.tasklist.org/task_navapw32_exe_2174.html
    and another spyware scanner here; http://www.2-spyware.com/file-navapw32-exe.html

Apparently this Norton Antivirus agent is not related to spyware but its name can be used in spyware and adware programs to mislead the user!

This post may also be useful;

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...882567d3004f8656?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  22. Msladybug02

That's a good one too.....I downloaded that Wintasks and I have no idea how to use it. Kind of scared to damage my system further.. I "m right now at the last link posted on your reply,...the symantec one. I did "disable" the executable so that it would not interfere with my KAV. Maybe that is one of the reason I can't get it off, it's showing up but not enabled. Good article, worth a try in my book.

I'm going to enable NAVAPW32 and run a scan to see if it will come off now.

:doubt:

23. Msladybug02

I'm right now running Spyhunter..I hate to even think about it..I may have to just wait until the 20th (the external hardrive will arrive)and see how many of my files I can move over and save.
    The thought of formatting my currently Norton infected drive gives me the willies, I've never done it to an existing, used harddrive. I've only performed it when I built my hubby's PC 2 weeks ago and installed the new hard drive and Windows Pro. I hate to say it but that Norton Auto Protect does not want to go. :-( It's interefering with the KAV startup and I would want KAV to run at it's optimal performance and not hindered by some, (as you correctly described it) Parasitic executable that is just hanging on for dear life.
    Still scanning though.... :(

Just finished, didn't find the NAVAPW32 file :'(
    Ran Wintasks, figured it out, tried to delete the file, would not delete, came back on reboot. :doubt:

What is wrong with this picture?? This should not be this hard to remove.

Ok, so I will have to format my drive on start fresh..I guess I will bug you at that time unless you have more help to give...
    About that tweak. Care to give some advice since by next week, I'll be starting all over? :doubt:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  24. Blackcat

Formatting should be the last resort.

Did you try HijackThis?

Maybe worth uninstalling KAV, and installing NAV again but this time monitoring the install with Total Uninstall! Then try and remove as much of NAV as possible with the normal Add/Remove Programs then use the remove with TU!!!

Maybe worth you posting over at DSLR; http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/security,1
    where they have a number of expert NAV users. Or you could try and send a pm to Randy Bell here who again is a very experienced user of NAV.

Sorry I was not much help.

Good Luck again!

25. Msladybug02

I'll give both options a try. Seems I'm seeing more strange things happening with the default Windows Security in XP. You know the area in your control panel where you can choose to have your AV monitored, use their firewall and have automatic updates?
    Ever since this problem with the auto protect from NAV not coming off of my system, today I noticed that even though I had the box chosen for "NOT" using the windows firewall, since I use Zone Alarm and did not want problems, it is saying that I have it in use. Windows is also stating that I have 2 AV program running but only 1 is up to date. KAV is up to date and NAV is the other program that it claims is on my system. So it's also intefering with the Windows security. Besides that, Windows disconnected me from my Broadband connection with a warning message about checking my network connec. or checking my internet options (the other computers were fine) and when I went to reboot Windows stated that I had two options, "click turn off to install updates or click a link in that window to reboot without installing updates.
    I wouldn't mind the NAV issue so much if it didn't interfere with my KAV and now Windows security.
    I did uninstall and reinstall NAV a few times when I first noticed problems, but I did not have an uninstall tool that I do now because of your recommendation. It's worth trying for sure.
    I do feel that all of my problems are because of this one file... :doubt:

"another sleepless night, another long day"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.