USB Bootable Rescue Media Help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by angusct, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angusct

angusct Registered Member

I recently purchased and installed TI8. I would like to be able to create the Bootable Rescue Image on my I/O Magic GigaBank 4GB USB drive as well as store the image files on the same drive, but on a different partition.

When I have the drive plugged in, the computer recognizes it, but when I try to create the Bootable Rescue Image, it only shows me the internal CD burner as an option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

2. angusct

No ideas on this ?

It's not showing my USB pen drive as a Removable Device. I've read the posts on how to make a USB drive bootable, but how do you then make Acronis start so that you can restore an image ?

o_O

3. mareke

mareke Registered Member

You could try copying and pasting the contents of the rescue CD to the USB drive. Try having this as the only thing on the drive to see if it boots into Acronis the same as the rescue CD. It probably wont but you never know until you try. I might try it with my little 512 MB flash drive.

Later: It didn't work even after I put the contents of the Recovery Manager file outside the file. I guess you have to use a CD.

Still later: Even creating a Rescue Disk choosing the Flash drive which is offered as an option with build 786 of True Image, doesn't work. All I get is a message saying non system disk remove and press any key. A boot CD is the way to go.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  4. angusct

I just bought version 8 today (I've been using version 6) and I don't get the option to make the bootable rescue media on anything except my internal cd burner, even though I can see my USB drive in Windows Explorer.

5. dRag0nMa

dRag0nMa Registered Member

you cant, floppy or cd, no USB key.
    @mareke
    btw. booting from USB key is not so easy as you think...

6. angusct

Anyone else have any thoughts on this ? Acronis Techs o_O

I'm getting desperate :(

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I have no problem creating the "Full" boot recue media on my pendrive (Captiva 256MB USB v2.0 and Class Definition for Mass Storage, Bulk-Transport v1.0 compliant) using TI 8 build 774 or 786.

However, the pendrive must be formatted using FAT not FAT32 or NTFS otherwise you will get the Non System Disk error mentioned by Mareke. Also, set the motherboard's BIOS to boot from USB HDD even though TI says it has successfully created a bootable floppy disk. My system initially boots into the Acronis Linux command consol and I just click "O.K." to continue booting into TI rescue mode.

Regards

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  8. angusct

I've switched over to SanDisk Mini Cruzer 128mb. I am now able to create the Rescue media on it using build 774, but when I try to boot from it, I get the message "Cannot find the operating system". I've tried both full and safe versions. I'm now in the process of installing the 786 update and will try again. If this doesn't work, I'll try doing it from Windows Safe Mode. After that, it's sledge hammer time unless anyone else has any suggestions o_O?

9. Menorcaman

As mentioned above, don't forget to preformat your flash drive as a FAT disk not FAT32.

Regards

10. angusct

Already did it, still no luck. Just tried Full mode with build 786 and I get the same thing... "Operating System not found".

11. Menorcaman

Hmm. Can only surmise that your Mini Cruzer isn't fully compliant with the "Class Definition for Mass Storage, Bulk-Transport v1.0" standard. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.