Outpost Pro or Look 'n' Stop

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jon_fl, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Which should I choose for ease of setup and use, app control, low resource use,
    best overall security and support etc.?

RegNow.com is selling Outpost for 20% off. Has anybody purchased from them?

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Look 'n' Stop is by far cheaper and as good as, if not better than Outpost.

LnS costs 39 for ever
    Outpost: a sum of money per year.

LnS is low on cpu, Outpost the opposite.

And the help you have here on LnS is not available on Outpost. The makersof LnS are even here to hear about problems and solve them. Agnitum is far heavier...

Hope this helps!

3. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Thanks Edwin. I also understand you can use one license for 2 computers with LNS. Is that correct?

4. Edwin024

Just try it ;)

5. Robertbb

Robertbb Registered Member

I've got both Outpost and LnS. LnS is by far the best on resources. I was having a problem with Outpost using up to 35 meg of mem that their support department has yet to find out why. LnS stays around 8 meg or less and getting support for LnS is allot easier/better.

6. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

To activate the paid version of LNS, do you enter a license # if you are using the trial version or do you uninstall the trial first, then download the paid version?

7. Edwin024

You just enter the license number that you get!

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

9. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Def. L 'n' S.
    Way better on resources, both have great support though.
    Outpost has too much extras for me, which I like to use other freeware for(content filtering).

Both are great firewalls, but L 'n' S wins in my book(and is a one time fee).

10. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I do agree that Lns is a good firewall and low on resources, but for me I prefer outpost pro and it does not matter to me if outpost uses 35 meg of memory because I have more than enough installed to run all my programmes, but if memory is an issue then Lns for low resources is a definite first choice to go for.

THE MUL ;)

11. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Outpost does have a very good support forum http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/

I've trialled both OP and LnS but decided on OP because if it's ease of rule configuration and it's fantastic logging capability, plus the other features such as script blocking etc are quite useful. I also find OP very low on resources usually between 1.5 to 8 meg. It only jumps up to 30 meg when you launch the main program.

12. Edwin024

With the hep I meant what we see here on this site about LnS. The creator itself is helping here. And that is what you don't see at Outpost.

And the price is also a main point, looking at the differences between these two in my oh so humble opinion :)

13. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Yes u do have a point there, but what price do u put on having a great security programme like outpost, if u want qaulity u have to pay for it and I am not saying that Lns is not a good firewall either.
    As for have some expert advise, there is [paranoid 2000] over at the outpost forum who has vast knowledge of outpost and u just need to ask anyone and he is your man for any problem solving, there are also many other good experts as well.
    But at the end of the day It is up to each induvidual to decide on what firewall he or she chooses to install.

Your friend

THE MUL

14. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Well said. ;)
    I've had NIS2004 & Sygate, but after I tried OutPost I knew I found the one I wanted. So many firewalls to choose from. Keeps you busy, isn't it! :D

15. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

While some of the statements here come down to personal preference, there are several major inaccuracies here.
    Outpost does not require an annual payment. The official price of $39.95 (the same as LnS) includes one year of free upgrades. Upgrades after this period can be purchased at a 50% discount but are optional - the original copy of Outpost will continue working indefinitely.
    LnS is lighter than Outpost here but that is because it does less - LnS does not do Stateful Inspection by default, and if you activate it you are limited to 128 network connections in the current version. Outpost has no such restriction but having lots of active network connections will require more processing. Outpost also provides far more logging information but this can increase CPU utilisation if your antivirus scanner is not configured to exclude the logfiles (which it should be).
    As others have pointed out, there is a separate forum for Outpost (though posts here on Outpost will get answered in most cases). As for the "makers" of LnS, I would point out that LnS is written by one person only, Frederic Gloannec. While this makes LnS a more noteworthy achievement, it also places greater limits on what improvements and features can be added. Also many features that are unavailable or currently in beta in LnS (e.g. running as a service to provide protection right from Windows startup, stateful inspection of UDP connections, the option of popup alerts when a rule is matched, the ability to block IP addresses) are already present in Outpost (via a third-party plugin, Blockpost, for the IP address blocking).

Both firewalls have strengths and weaknesses and their respective forums are the best place to check them out. However more (accurate) information on Outpost can be obtained from the PDF Manuals downloadable from Agnitum's website and the Web-Hiker's Guide to Outpost Firewall (while it covers version 1, most of it applies to version 2 also and it provides a useful insight into Outpost's interface).

16. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Why not rial both , i believe both have a 30 day free trial.
    ellison

17. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

^Smartest thing said in this thread :p

18. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thanks Paranoid for the corrections. I must admit that I have not looked at LnS carefully. I do really rely, as a start, on what members say here. So please lets try to be accurate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Edwin024
    LnS costs 39 for ever
    Outpost: a sum of money per year.
    [Paranoid]
    Outpost does not require an annual payment. The official price of $39.95 (the same as LnS) includes one year of free upgrades. Upgrades after this period can be purchased at a 50% discount but are optional - the original copy of Outpost will continue working indefinitely.

Big difference between those two statements. :eek: No hard feelings just make sure before you say. O. K. ;)

19. nameless

nameless Registered Member

20. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

On the Look 'n' Stop hompage it clearly states "Unlimited licence (no yearly renewal)." at http://www.looknstop.com/En/looknstop.htm

Once you buy LnS you get Unlimited updates and will never pay for yearly renewal or need to buy a new license for any reason.

It clearly says that it "Automatically updates new releases." right above the Unlimited license statement.

Frederic must have changed the policy since his posts in the above linked threads.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  21. Edwin024

Exactly...

This is also from their site:

Code:
     Is the Look 'n' Stop licence a yearly or unlimited licence ?
    Unlike many other softwares, the Look 'n' Stop licence is unlimited !

In addition, all 2.0x to 2.0y updates are free and automatic.

For example, Look 'n' Stop 2.01 users who purchased the licence 3 years ago could upgrade to 2.02, 2.03, 2.04 and the current 2.05 for free.
    So: different then Outpost!

22. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

"In addition, all 2.0x to 2.0y updates are free and automatic." contradicts "Unlimited licence (no yearly renewal)." and "Automatically updates new releases."

I Purchashed L 'n' S after reading the information on the page I posted above. If I was not under the impression that ALL updates are 100% free, then I would not have purchashed it. It does say Unlimited license and Automatic updates to new releases.

23. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I take "unlimited license" to mean that the license you buy never expires, not that all updates are free. If you buy version 2.05, for example, you can forever use version 2.05.

But "unlimited license" is a somewhat vague term to use. Maybe someone should ask a very direct question to Frederic in the LNS forum.

24. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

As nameless suggests, if there are questions, it is best to ask the definitive resource in the LNS forum for clarification.

That said, I see folks confusing (and there IS a lot of room for that here) updates (within version) and upgrades (across major version releases).

Blue

25. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

The page says "Automatically updates new releases." right above where it says "Unlimited licence (no yearly renewal)."

If you have to pay for Major releases than the page is Very misleading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.