Opinions on F-Secure Internet Security

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by kdcdq, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hello all,

I am soliciting opinions on the firewall "robustfullness" of F-Secure Internet Security 2004 and/or 2005. The F-Secure website does not appear to give my any clue as to the origin of their include firewall component.

The 1/2 price offer on F-Secure's AV 2005 and Internet Security 2005 via the Microsoft security center makes me think that $39 for IS is a good value...

KDCDQ, Security Freak

2. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

I've used FSIS 05 and also looked in to the $39 promotion. My early observations are both good and bad. The good is that you can enable protection against application spawning and application manipulation. This really helps if leaktest performance is important to you. The only thing I really don't like so far is that the default rulesets (normal, high, etc.) are greyed out and unconfigurable. You can add your own custom rules to the rulesets but you can't adjust the ones that are there. I haven't really had a need to adjust anything yet, but I'd like to have the flexibility to do so. Even so, my opinion is that F-Secure has the best many-in-one package available.

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

yes, I do believe it has one of the best there is. but what firewall is it using? still zonealarm? I think you mean the open process feature. that would be very nice indeed.

cheers

4. se7engreen

I'm not sure what firewall it is. It doesn't look or "feel" like zone alarm... I'd be interested to know what it is.

5. Infinity

Can you please post some screen shots of the firewall and advanced features?

thanx

6. se7engreen

Certainly.
    This is the basic fw interface.

Attached Files:

• fw1.JPG
      fw1.JPG
      File size:
      52.5 KB
      Views:
  7. se7engreen

Here's the unconfigurable default ruleset for the High setting.

Attached Files:

• fw3.JPG
      fw3.JPG
      File size:
      62.4 KB
      Views:
  8. se7engreen

Here's some settings for application control.

Attached Files:

• fw4.JPG
      fw4.JPG
      File size:
      57.7 KB
      Views:
  9. se7engreen

An example of application launch control at work.

Attached Files:

• fw2.JPG
      fw2.JPG
      File size:
      46.3 KB
      Views:
  10. se7engreen

An example of application manipulation control at work.

Attached Files:

• fw5.JPG
      fw5.JPG
      File size:
      41.9 KB
      Views:
  11. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

1. Mucho thanks to Se7engreen for his "most-welcome" input, efforts and excellent FIS screen shots.

2. Thanks to INFINITY his valued input.

KDCDQ, Security Freak

12. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

hmm...
    looks like a decent firewall.
    Does it block PCAudit? It looks kinda like PCInternet Patrol http://www.pcinternetpatrol.com/ with the blue theme, but I guess not much else is common.

13. se7engreen

kdcdq: No problem, always happy to help.

no13: Yes, the app manipulation stops PCAudit 1 & 2 before they can install api hooks. In fact, the only leaktest I've tried that got past it is DNSTester.

Also, about the unconfigurable rulesets, I've found that when you add rules they take precedance over the preconfigured rules. So if you don't like a rule you can create your own to change or cancel out the existing one. For example, Explorer.exe is allowed all inbound connections by default. You could add a rule allowing explorer inbound connections from your local network only, overriding the preconfigured rule.

Although, I'd prefer to modify or delete the existing rules. I guess it's designed this way for those who don't want to mess around with the rules.

14. Infinity

Thanx a lot Se7engreen, I guess F secure internet security is the best combo there is. and it allways had a nice interphase. I just saw they implemented Adaware into their suite. I guess you could save money buying this program.

regarding the dns tester: I heard that if you disable the preconfigured rule for dns and make a advanced rule only for dns on port 53 it would block that leaktest. but I am not 100% sure of this.

bye

15. no13

hey, this looks like a decent buy (KAV+fprot as AVs, adaware, one beautiful firewall)...
    just one question...
    does it have as much configurability as NOD32 (or even NAV - highly configurable)??

16. se7engreen

Yeah for $39 USD it's a great buy, especially considering that it is the Adaware Professional edition included in the suite.

INFINITY: Thanks, I'll give it a shot & see how it goes.

no13: About the AV being configurable, it's not quite as much as some others. You can set your exclusions, scan within archives, & other basic things. Otherwise you just set the AV to Normal, High, etc. There is a custom setting where it allows you to fine tune to a degree. Heuristic settings are not adjustable, but heuristics are always on (the third engine is dedicated to them).

I know this is getting a bit off the firewall topic, but I want to post one more screen shot.

Attached Files:

17. no13

[senti mode]
    It's a thing of beauty, this suite is sweet.... *sniff* *sniff* *sob*
    [/mode]

Before I add it to my "must try" list
    1. What about the firewall config... is it absolutely configurable on a per app basis? (I assume it is, seeing the tabs in the screenshot above)
    2. What about system load compared to other AVs?
    3. Do I need a net connection to install it (the "trial" installer I got is only 7 megs - is it standalone for all components?)

18. se7engreen

I know, it just about brings out the nutcase in me too... ;)

1.) You're right, it's configurable through the tabs.
    2.) Mem usage is high, I'd estimate about 50Mb. CPU drag is low. For me, I don't notice it's there ("feels" fast), but you may want to try for yourself.
    3.) The small installer needs a net connection for a long download. The full redistributable installer is about 56Mb.

19. no13

shame about the redist. installer... where is the full one? Anyone has it? [i can't be installing off the net all the time you know]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.