Missing mouse cursor

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mareke, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mareke

mareke Registered Member

It's not a major problem but annoying; when I use the Acronis boot CD I don't have a mouse cursor. I use a Logitech MX-700 cordless mouse. Having to navigate by keyboard is annoying. This happens each time I use the boot CD and has happened with previous Windows installations. I'm using build 768 of Acronis True Image 8.0. I'd like to see this problem solved in some future update. Who knows it may already be solved (I suspect not) but I can't update to the latest build because the Acronis server seems to be perpetually unavailable with the web page timing out each time I try.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mareke,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Could you please contact support@acronis.com and send us the boot log of Acronis True Image rescue CD:
    Please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc (the full version) and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears. After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word and click on the OK button. As the startup messages stop scrolling, you can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys in order to scroll the screen manually. Please use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens and send the captured information to us.

Thank you.

3. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

THAT's what I call support... :D

Wow! :-D

Even postings in a external forum are recognized....

4. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

I have that same mouse, and mine works fine. How do you have it connected to your PC? If USB, try PS2, if PS2, try USB.

Tipton

5. mareke

mareke Registered Member

I normally use it as a PS2 mouse and the same thing happens if I use the latest Logitech MX1000 but I resolved the problem by using the logitech Mouseware software instead of the default Windows detection of the mouse. It is a consistent problem for me if I don't install the Logitech software but easily resolved.

I didn't realise until now that Acronis had replied. I could do as requested by removing the Logitech software and taking a picture but seeing that the problem is so easily resolved by using Mouseware it probably isn't worth the effort. However I still maintain that Acronis should see the mouse without the Logitech software as the cursor shows up without the Logitech software in other situations even when not in Windows such as when doing a new install of Windows. It's only after using Acronis that I have been forced to use Logitech's bloated software rather than Windows detecting the mouse like any other one.

6. Acronis Support

Hello Mareke,

Please clarify if you really use the Acronis bootable rescue CD in order to boot your computer. The thing is that if you use the bootable CD from Acronis then there should never be the drivers from Logitech that you have installed under Windows (cause there will never be Windows, your computer will be booted into Acronis Linux from the bootable CD).

Thank you.

7. mareke

mareke Registered Member

Yes I use the Acronis bootable rescue CD when I experience this problem. I just uninstalled the Logitech Mouseware software and deleted some remaining references to Logitech in the registry that were to do with the Logitech mouse software and used the Acronis Boot CD made using the latest version of True Image 8.0 build 774 and without the Logitech software for the cordless mouse installed there is no mouse cursor when you are in the screen that comes up when using the Acronis boot CD. This happens with both the Logitech MX 700 cordless mouse and the latest Logitech MX 1000 cordless mouse which uses a laser. If I install either 'Logitech Mouseware' or 'Logitech Setpoint' the latest software that comes with the Logitech MX 1000 cordless mouse I get the mouse cursor so it is essential to install the Logitech cordless mouse software if you want to see a mouse cursor when using the Acronis Boot CD and a Logitech cordless mouse. Strange as the Logitech software should not be operating when using the Acronis boot CD but nevertheless that is what happens.

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Mareke

Are you by any chance using a "Safe" version boot CD? This uses a combination of DOS and BIOS functions to access the hardware rather than Acronis Linux.

Regards

9. mareke

mareke Registered Member

No. It happens with the full Boot CD.

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hmm. Very strange indeed.

11. Acronis Support

Hello all,

mareke, thank you for the clarification.

This problem is really strange. The only thing we can do is to reproduce this situation in our Testing Lab. I will ask if we can do it. However, this problem is not the major one and we do know the solution now.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

12. Peter S.

Peter S. Guest

Hi,

the same happens with other DOS software e.g. PartitionMagic in DOS mode?

Try to get an update for your Bios. For my board (Leadtek NCR18d-pro) there was a bug in the Bios resulting in no mousecursor in DOS mode, the next version fixed this.

Peter S.

13. Ryb

Ryb Guest

I have the problem quite often with not having a mouse curser, can someone please tell me how to get past the comment screen so I can run the image. I hit the tab key and it only moves the curser over, how do I get it down to next button?

Thanks,

14. mareke

mareke Registered Member

One solution is to do what I do and install the Logitech mouse software which is free and can be downloaded from the Logitech web site. I'm almost certain it works with any mouse not just a Logitech mouse and it should solve the problem for you as it does for me.

15. Ryb

Ryb Guest

I am referring to when I use the Boot CD. I don't think you can install drivers that will effect booting from the Recovery CD.

16. WYFR

WYFR Registered Member

I experience the same problem. After I bought an upgrade to version 8.0, I lost my mouse when booting from CD. Must be one of the new features in version 8, because I cannot find any other (at least not in the "Home" version).

I tried your recommendation. But I can press F11 as long as I want, I do not get the "Linux Kernel Settings" on the screen or any prompt. I do get something like "^[23]" with every F11 keystroke I make. Any other recommendations?

Well, I can use Acronis even without a mouse. I use the CD only in an real "emergency", when I have to make an actual restore. However, since Acronis TI is not freeware but has cost me money, I really would like to see this bug fixed ASAP. Are there any upcoming upgrades in the line that will correct this bug?

WYFR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.