Restricted sites not restricted

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by AN.D.M.A., Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AN.D.M.A.

AN.D.M.A. Registered Member

Hi there.

I have been using SpywareBlaster and also IE-SPYAD for a while now but now they don't seem to be working.

I noticed that when I went to a known restricted site, IE no longer displayed the restricted site message at the bottom of the window.

When I checked in my internet options there were no sites listed in the restricted sites list at all, when it used to be full o_O

I have enabled all protection in SpywareBlaster but those sites are not restricted.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing them both but its still the same. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Thanx.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey AN.D.M.A.,

Did you happen to switch recently to the IE-Spyad2 version ?

3. AN.D.M.A.

Hiya.

No I'm still using the original. I created a shortcut that links straight to the download of IE-Spyad. I have just checked and it still links to the same version.

I did not know there was another version until reading your reply.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thinking out loud here....

What operating system and if NT family(2000,XP)....and as far as you know....have any changes been made that would effect being able to right to the Current_Users reg key.

If you add a site manually to the Restricted Zone of IE and visit that site....does the restricted site message show at the bottom of the window ?

Have you considered repairing IE ?

5. AN.D.M.A.

My operating system is XP SP2. I have recently installed Winpatrol and QuiK-Fix but I am not sure if these would prevent the registry being written to. I don't know exactly when this started happening.

I also have Script Sentry which will stop the registry from being written to. I came up with an error when I tried to merge the IE-Spyad .reg file into the registry manually. I was able bypass Script Sentry but the sites still did not appear in the list.

If I add a site manually to the Restricted Zone of IE then visit that site the restricted site message does appear at the bottom. If I visit a site from the SpywareBlaster restricted list the message doesn't show.

Oh and no I havent tried repairing IE. By that do you mean I would need to re-install it?

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Well....I doubt if you need me to tell ya something you have installed is preventing a simple .reg file(IE-Spyad) from merging in to the registry....which in a way is all SpywareBlaster is doing.

As for XP SP2....I'm not knowledgeable of how to repair IE SP2 but I'm sure Google would help.

7. AN.D.M.A.

Ok thanx, I'll have a look on google. I've had Script Sentry for a while and I have not noticed this before. I will try uninstalling that to see if that helps.

8. AN.D.M.A.

Thanks I was still looking for a solution o_O Thought I was the only one with this problem!

I've uninstalled QuiKfix but things haven't returned to normal. :doubt:
    I'll try reading through all the posts cos I still don't know if the IE-Spyad sites are restricted.

Cheers for your help :)

9. Dave2

Dave2 Guest

I didnt use qwifix, though i have the same problem after playing around with another tool. I think i figured it out already though.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Please do share with us if you don't mind....since any additional aid with some of these problems helps us all o_O

11. Dave2

Dave2 Guest

Well as you surmised it's a matter of reseting the Security_HKLM_only key.

I deleted it, or set it to zero, and all is back to normal.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=182569 helped a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.