MJ Registry Watcher

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Graphic Equaliser, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis L

Dennis L Registered Member

Thanks guys, simple solution.

2. Graphic Equaliser

Graphic Equaliser Registered Member

I have just uploaded a new version of MJRW at http://www.jacobsm.com/mjsoft.htm#rgwtchr with the following changes :-

Changes 1.2.5.3 to 1.2.5.4
    1) Now loads up large files into the viewer faster.
    2) Re-organised menus to group the "Engine Tuning" parameters together. Spruced up menu item descriptions, prompts and help file.
    3) Slightly eased CPU usage by making the filespec inspections more efficient.
    4) Made some tweaks so that it is now Vista-compatible. For example, the Regedit button goes to the correct key under Vista, whereas 1.2.5.3 always went to the registry root, whatever key you picked. MJRW needs to run with for Admin privileges in order to work properly with Vista.
    5) Changed default "Hook Release Time" (fast sweep frequency) to 3 seconds. People who run applications that constantly change the registry, will have to either put up with higher CPU usage, adjust this value upwards, or switch off registry hooking by setting the "Registry Hook Throttle" timing to zero. Users of 1.2.5.3 will retain whatever settings they had with this new version, so this will only affect new users.
    6) System tray hint displays what OS you're running. Either Win9x, Win2K/XP or Vista.
    7) Changed the way the status bar displays text, so that MJRW (and all my other stuff too) works properly under Windows Blinds.
    8 ) Added exemptions
    %system%drivers\fidbox.dat and
    %windir%tasks\schedlgu.txt
    to the Exempt Keys and Filespecs list for Vista.

I have laboured long and hard on this one, and I'm absolutely brassick, so any contributions are going to be a Godsend for me. Use the Paypal button on the mjsoft page or use my email form to get my address. Here is a screenshot (note the transparency in the menus if you have Vista - gorgeous!) :-

http://www.jacobsm.com/RegWatcher.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

GE, thanks for the update! I especially appreciate the engine tuning menu improvements! :)

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Good job GE as always. You really have something useful and especially unique here GE because registry coverage is most important of all system concern IMO. Everything mostly has to inject in the Reg and it's critical that vital areas are monitored for suspicious as well as unintentional bugged entries.

ALL THE BEST!

EASTER

5. Graphic Equaliser

Bad news. I am now charging for MJRW. It costs 4 GBP. The new version 1.2.5.5 is now registered through email, and I send a licence file back to you to deposit in the MJRW directory. Financial constraint and software VFM have made me take these steps. For version 1.2.5.5 I need 4 GBP and your Registered Name and Organisation for your copy of Windows (from the "Control Panel, System" Screen). I will then send you a licence file to put in the MJRW directory to activate it. Thankyou.

6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

GE: Will the licensing install anything or will it just be a file we will need to have in place for RegWatcher to run?

7. Graphic Equaliser

HAN, I encode a small licence file with the Registered Name and Organisation for your copy of Windows (from the "Explorer, Help, About" Screen). I will then send you that licence file to put in the MJRW directory to activate it. I won't send the file until the 4 GBP payment has been received.

This way, batches of PCs with the same Registered details on the Computer Properties screen will all be protected by the same licence file and can be copied to each PC (as in an Internet Cafe). Also, network-installed (on a file server) MJRW will only need one licence file.

HTH,

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Sounds simple enough... :)

I'm glad you kept the program's concept basic as before.

9. Graphic Equaliser

I just posted version 1.2.5.6 which allows 5 minutes of unlicensed usage before timing out. Otherwise people cannot try it out! ;)

10. Get

Get Guest

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Some may say capitalism has got you by the throat, but thanks to the 5 minutes trial proving otherwise, they won't fool me! :D

11. Graphic Equaliser

I have just released a new version of MJ Registry Watcher at http://www.jacobsm.com/mjsoft.htm#rgwtchr (version 1.2.5.7). Changes are :-

Changes 1.2.5.6 to 1.2.5.7
    1) Fixed bug with quarantining directories.
    2) Logging flag is now stored in the configuration file, so the setting is remembered next time.
    3) Alerts can now be emailed to, say, a supervisor. User and PC information is included with the email alert, so that the originating machine can be identified.
    4) Files and directories can now be manually quarantined, if so desired.
    5) The trial period has been increased to 15 minutes, so that deeper investigation of the program's features can be done.
    6) Fixed a bug with the padlock remaining red after "OK" type alerts. Other minor bugs fixed.

Check it out! ;)

12. Dennis L

I updated from 1.2.5.4 to 1.2.5.7 and did the above requirements. I included the license file sent to me from Mark. But MJRW continues to time out. My path address is C:\Program Files\MJRegWatcher\MJRegWatcher . I have the license file in the same folder as the program resides. For convenience, I included a jpg attachment view of path / directory.
    Any suggestions??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  13. Graphic Equaliser

There seems to be some invisible spaces in your username or organisation. Use Regedit and go to the following key :-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

There are 2 strings under that key called RegisteredOrganization and RegisteredOwner. The RegisteredOrganization should be completely blank. For each of these can you check that there are no extraneous spaces or characters, and that the case matches. The licence I sent you is registered for

RegisteredOwner=Dennis
    RegisteredOrganization=

so you could change these strings to be as above and the licence should work.

P.S. Do not post the licence file contents on this forum. Thanks.

14. Dennis L

Data fields displayed as stated above.. I did NO editing.
    Owner had no spaces and had correct case.
    Organization field was empty, contained no data.

15. Graphic Equaliser

I sent another copy of the licence to you.

16. Dennis L

Hi Mark

Thank you for sending another license. Unfortunately it did not resolve the problem.

The answer to both questions - YES
    This includes with license1 and license2

To eliminate any unforeseen program or folder issues I decided to create a new test directory for MJRW, download a new 1257 MJRW program file and create a fresh/clean install. Using license1 or license2, the problem continues.
    I again check registry via regedit and both required fields display properly, never requiring any editing / correcting (license1 or license2). Sorry Mark, but this problem remains a mystery to me. My only "stab in the dark" suggestion, does your program ... or ... have you tested if one of the required "Owner / Organization" fields, if blank, allows the licensing routine to function correctly?

17. Graphic Equaliser

The mystery deepens. I have supplied a licence to someone called Russell and his licence worked with a blank organisation field! The only thing I can think of is that your email client has somehow changed the licence file on receipt. What is the exact size of the licence file in bytes? It should be 24.

18. Dennis L

Both L1 and L2 files are 24 byte. Both are image copies of each other. Each contain one long string. It would appear no clipping from email client (TB 2.0). If you would like to send another license file, we could use my gmail account and I can pick it up via web/browser view. Use the same email "address Name" just drop the ISP portion and replace with gmail.com.

19. Dennis L

Hi Mark

Received your email containing the string value for my license file. It was identical to value previously sent in L1 and L2. Both files had proper edit values per "no CR/LF at the end of the line". Following your instructions, I deleted the contents of my license file (L2) and copy/pasted in your string value. Made sure no CR/LF edit was included past end of string and saved the file. Unfortunately, the same results continue ... program times out.

20. Graphic Equaliser

I can reproduce the problem my end, and I am investigating it now. I'll post back shortly. Thanks for your patience.

21. Graphic Equaliser

Found the problem, and emailed you the correct licence this time! My mistake. Sorry. :oops: :( :'( :doubt: :blink: :ouch: :blink: :gack: o_O and eventually :)

22. Dennis L

THANK YOU Mark - Everything works just fine. No problem about the file issue. I knew you would get it figure out.
    I call it a good day when I find the right house at night. :rolleyes: :eek: :D

23. dyylllan

dyylllan Registered Member

Hi

I have a question about operating two user accounts at the same time on one machine.

From previous threads, it is possible to set up two copies of Registry Watcher in different folders for two different user accounts. The person indicated that he did not use User Switching to move between the two accounts.

I want to be able to operate the computer using the Terminal Server like capability on Windows XP while another peoson is logged on locally. This means that the two different copies of RW would be running at the same time. I am concerned that they would interfere with each other.

Is this configuration workable? Can RW be configured so that it protects two different users at the same time?

Thanks for making a great program!!!

24. Graphic Equaliser

Certainly, you can run 2 (or more) copies of MJRW simultaneously. The interference between them, as far as I can tell, would be non-detrimental. If both copies spotted a change and prompted to fix it, the first one would fix it fine, and the second would also fix it (although it is already fixed, so it wouldn't really do anything), so this would not be a problem. The only time it may cause misinformation is when they both prompt you to quarantine a file. One will quarantine it, and the other will find it has gone, and attempt to quarantine it at next reboot. However, again, this is not harmful, so nothing will happen and the file will have been safely quarantined.

25. dyylllan

dyylllan Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.