Securing WMP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bethrezen, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi all

I know WMP has a few questionable functions that should be disabled and with that I'm mind I'm trying to work out how best to configure it for maximum security and privacy how ever I’m a lil stuck and not really sure what I’m doing

and I was wondering if any one can advise me

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The EASIEST way to do this would be to get SafeXP (http://www.theorica.net/safexp.htm), click "recommended settings" and "apply" - and that's it! The added bonus is that it will also help secure the rest of Windows as well :)

3. Bethrezen

hi

I am aware of safe xp but I really don't want additional programs beside I have tried safe xp before but it caused me problems which is why I was asking if anyone could tell me how media player should be configured

now what I have so far is everything on the privacy tab unchecked but I'm wondering if there is anything else that should be disabled/enabled ??

4. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

You might want to look at Javacool's WMP script. fix, it's a huge 10 kb,
    at www.javacoolsoftware.com/products.html, scroll down to Misc.Tools.

Regards.

5. Bethrezen

hi

again I am aware of Javacool's WMP script fix and I already have applied this fix but i still need to know how WMP should have its options configured for max security and privacy

what should be disabled what should be enabled and what can be left as it comes by default

6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

This setting is quite secure IMO.

Attached Files:

• WMP.JPG
      WMP.JPG
      File size:
      55.1 KB
      Views:
  7. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I thought WMP was a function found on router firewalls?

Jimbob

8. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Guest

nadirah

GOOD GIRL!!!! You did just fine......hey. a reminder... as you were previously told a few months ago.......SOMEDAY YOU ARE GOING TO BE A COMPUTER SECURITY WIZ..........very nice job nadirah...some people are "naturals" stick to what you enjoy doing nadirah.....an you will never fail.........

9. Bethrezen

hi all

ok this is what I have come up with so far in regard to media players settings is it sufficient ?? or are there any settings that need to be changed maybe something I have wrong or a setting iv missed

also I noticed that in that screen shot you have a DVD tab which isn't present on my copy of windows media player as I'm using windows 98 is there any settings on that tab that need configuring ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.