URGENT !! Problem with Process guard Start !!!

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Zobie, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zobie

Zobie Guest

I am getting "Ordinal 943 could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll". I am runig it on Xp pro. Please help...

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

HI Zobie, Did you follow the installation instructions properly?
    After install you must reboot.

What other security software are you running or was running when you tried to install ProcessGuard?

Thnaks. Pilli

3. zobie

zobie Guest

I did the restart. I have nortan antivirus and have spyblater & spybot, adaware installed but they were not running. Is it an application bug or do i need to upgrade my XP. I have sp1 but i dont want to upgrade it to Sp2. Please let me know.

4. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

hi zobie,
    due to its low-level nature, PG has to use some undocuments methods of referring to OS functions. I would think that adressing routines in kernel32.dll by their ordinal number (and not by a name that they are exported under) is one of them. Then, it could be the case that your kernel32.dll is not as PG does expect it to be. Which could either be because of some windows version unknown to DCS (and bypassing ways to make sure that the ordinal numbers are correct), or because of some corruption.

Could you post as much information about your windows installation as possible? Service Packs? Patches? Language/nationalization? Corporate version etc.

Andreas

5. zobie

zobie Guest

I have WinXp Sp1. Nothing extra loaded. What is the ordinal 943 that its looking for

6. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

The functions ProcessGuard uses in kernel32.dll should be available on all systems. Any functions which aren't are dynamically loaded and handled OS to OS. I would suspect you may have a corrupt or malicious kernel32.dll .

When are you getting this error, upon the load of which EXE?

7. onnking2003

onnking2003 Guest

the process got problem

hi
    when i download it is say must install it on nt window can some one tell me how to do that

8. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

Re: the process got problem

onnking - what version of windows are you having on your computer (Windows 95/98/ME/NT 3.5/NT 4.0/2000/XP/2003/etc.) ?
    (It should be possible to find it out at least by watching the bootup screens.)

I hope I'm not misunderstanding your posting.
    Andreas

9. earth1

earth1 Registered Member

Perhaps it could help to run sfc.exe (system file checker).

10. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

This issue is to do with a bad cracked executable version of ProcessGuard floating around. Just be warned that any crack you run can contain malicious, undetected code, not to mention it being illegal.

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

o_O Ain't that just wonderful :mad:
    Anybody using cracked security software deserves what they get IMO

12. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Zobie,

Using pirated software is like injecting yourself with a drug you've never heard of that you obtained from somebody you've never even met before - you don't know how dirty it is or what you're putting into your system, or how harmful it will be. What you've done is also illegal and no different to shoplifting, and deprives developers of their rightful income for their work. There's no need to use ProcessGuard illegally anyway as we also provide a free version...

There's no point running security software though if you're going to take that sort of risk - you've now allowed code to execute on your system, code that you have no idea about, written by somebody you don't know ... somebody who is devious enough to write cracks - not somebody you'd usually trust. If there's any malicious code in that crack the damage has already been done, and your system is probably backdoored. In other words you've shot yourself in the foot, and you probably deserve anything that happens to your system - you know that. I'd be very surprised if you aren't infected - we often search crack sites because they're a huge breeding ground for trojans. Some come with a trojan physically bound to the crack (making it seem like youve just run the crack while the trojan silently installs in the background), while others are 100% trojan code. Sometimes there are different variants of the same crack - some clean, some infected.

You can obtain ProcessGuard legally by purchasing here - it's very inexpensive, and a free lightweight version is also available.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.