Look n Stop problem. Please help!!

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by jon_fl, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Before I installed LNS on my computer I shut down ZAF, but didn't remove it. I uninstalled LNS and when I tried to re-install it I got the following; "failed error code: 0X80070002" and after it installed, but didn't work, I got; "unable to load the LNSFW driver (error 0)". I'm running XP with SP2.

Please if anybody has had this experience and has the fix, please let me know. I've looked all over the website and tried all the suggestions, so please help! :eek:

2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Could you confirm the installation worked once, with za still installed ?

We know there are some install/uninstall issue sometimes with za installed.

This 0X80070002 error means that a file can't be found, but unfortunately I don't know which one.

Do you remember if you are installing Look 'n' Stop in the same folder as the 1st time ? if it is different you can try to use exactly the same folder as the 1st time (I suspect eventually a kind of Windows internal cache for some files).

Frederic

5. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Yes, the installation worked once, with za installed. I uninstalled za after I tried to re-install LNS. After I uninstalled LNS, with Total Uninstall, I had 2 drivers in device manager that were flagged relating to LNS. I deleted both and they both gave a warning that the drivers weren't able to be uninstalled and if I uninstalled them it could cause problems elsewhere (don't remember the exact wording). When I clicked OK, the drivers were uninstalled anyway.

I did a restore point prior to installing LNS but I guess it got corrupted because my computer wouldn't go back to the restore point. I restored a registry backup by ERUNT and LNS could be installed but my computer developed other issues. Thankfully before I did that, I turned off and on System Restore and did a restore point before I restored the registry and I'm back where I was. At least my only issue now is LNS.

Look 'n' Stop was installed in the same folder as the 1st time.

I am able to re-install ZAF and Outpost Pro with no problem. I just can't install LNS any more.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  6. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Frederic, I just wanted to emphasize that my problem started when I uninstalled LNS. After that, the drivers would not install anymore even though lnsfw1 showed installed on my computer. I am very interested in LNS but I notice that this problem is not something new. I would hope that there would have been a solution by now.

Waiting for your reply, thanks.

7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Did you try a manual uninstall of the driver with the following procedure:
    http://www.looknstop.com/En/faq_problems.htm#driver_remove

You need to uninstall with the standard way first, and then apply this procedure.

Perhaps the uninstallation is not complete and so, the installation refuses to work again.

Frederic

8. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Frederic, please read 3 posts up. I also followed those directions on your website.

9. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Hasn't anybody else had this problem? This problem dates back for some time. Anybody who has had this problem, please let me know. Thank You!

10. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

I reproduced the issue by using Total Uninstall.
    So, no other choice than solving the issue now :)

By the way, Total Uninstall doesn't perform a good job on Look 'n' Stop :-(
    Actually another user reported exactly the same issue after using Total Uninstall, that's why I tried it. He solved the issue with a registry backup done with ERUNT before.

Frederic

11. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Actually the problem is not only the Look 'n' Stop installation: all the network configuration is completely mixed up.
    When I ask for the property of a network adpater I only see "Microsoft Network Client", other protocols/services/client are no longer there and especially TCP/IP is not displayed...
    And when I try to add a protocol I get an error "file not found" which is the same error as the 0x80070002 one.
    I suppose all the bindings in the registry for the network components has been completely mixed.

I don't know what to do next. Probably a reinstall of Window :(

Frederic

12. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

13. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I have the same problem as Frederic; I only see "Microsoft Network Client", other protocols/services/client are no longer there and especially TCP/IP is not displayed... I do have an internet connection. Will the LSP fix work for me?

I had backed up my registry with ERUNT. When I restored the registry, Microsoft Network Client and the other protocols/services/client were there and I could re-install LNS. However, my system restore and my start-search page was blank along with more things I'm sure. All other restore dates did the same except for today's in which I restored today's registry and was able to go to the restore point that I made. If anybody knows about this I would appreciate some advice.

14. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Phant0m,

Thanks for your suggestion but unfortunately it didn't work :(
    I think this program can repair bad configurations at LSP/Winsock level but not at NDIS one.

Re-installing Window at this time.

Frederic

15. Phant0m

Yea, it wasn’t meant to recover it all, just repair the basics the rest would have had to be manually fixed. At least you and everyone who reads here will know not to use Total Uninstall Software…. :p

16. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Total Uninstall can be used, but only after Look 'n' Stop uninstaller and a reboot (and eventually after a verification there is no longer Look 'n' Stop drivers in the Windows driver device list).
    The problem occurs when attempting to remove Look 'n' Stop by using directly Total Uninstall.

I think this problem is not specific to Look 'n' Stop, but to any application using NDIS IM drivers.

Frederic

17. Phant0m

Hi jon_fl

I’ve been pecking away trying to re-encounter that anomaly, and I had finally succeeded, without the use of secondary software firewall which is what made things more difficult. The error doesn’t necessary mean a file that was, is no more, doesn’t mean a file had been removed, what it really means is bits of the registry resources been deleted/mixed up and nothing is being pointed or pointed to the right thing. A fix is a possibility but since this problem is rare on the forum and normally occurs when installing Look ‘n’ Stop on a machine with other third-party software firewall installs, or installing other third-party software firewalls while having Look ‘n’ Stop installed, and also uninstalling causes this, I would not show support to this by offering a solution. And so if users going to trial Look ‘n’ Stop, uninstall all other third-party software firewalls firstly, re-boot, Install Look ‘n’ Stop, re-boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.