Chat Section

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Jimbob1989, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Have the admins or mods ever thought about introducing a chat section to the forum?

Just a suggestion.

Jimbob

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

This is a forum, if you wanna chat send Private Messages to each other.

3. Jimbob1989

Some forums have chat sections to allow real time discussion. It is also useful for admin staff to talk to each other.

Jimbob

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Why don't you send a Privte Message to the admins in this forum, then you can voice out whatever suggestions you have for Wilders.

5. Jimbob1989

Email sent.

6. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Do all the other Forums that you 'Mod' on have Chat sections Jimmybob? :cool:

Cochise, :cool:

7. Jimbob1989

8. dog

dog Guest

Ooooo ... Could anyone handle dog in real time? LOL puppy* :ninja:

9. dog

dog Guest

Wilders' Fantasy Chat

Users Online - 2

<dog> ... Hey There
    <Jimbob> Heya dog :)
    <dog> Hmm ... What's new in the chatroom?
    <Jimbob> Nothing; it's not too busy ATM ... What's new w/you?
    <dog> .... bored silly ... Why won't they come and play?
    <Detox> :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:
    <LWM> Beware of dog err cat!

-end of session-

LOL - Just bored and dream'n

Beware of dog! .... (But my boy is cute isn't he :) ;) )

10. Jimbob1989

Should think this is ok.

Reply From Site Feedback on Chat Section:

Actually, we have thought about it at times in the past, particularly when we were providing a large amount of spyware cleaning assistance in our HijackThis forum. Ultimately we decided against it as real time chat is a very different thing from bulletin board posting, and it isn't needed to achieve our primary goals here.

This forum is mostly a place where people post hopefully well thought out and helpful things relating to computing security, privacy and support. Those posts are meant to help not only the original poster from the thread, but any visitors that read those threads in the future.

Chat is real time and lost once it goes by. (Almost no one would read archived chat logs, which is more boring then watch a slide show from someone else's vacation, so that doesn't really help with that issue.) And frankly, chat contains too much "chit chat". Our main goal is computing security not social chit chat. We maintain the ten-forward section for social interaction, and yes many fun and entertaining things are posted there, but that is not our main goal here. It's all the other forum sections and the technical discussions that go on in those sections.

Best wishes,
    Mike

11. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Would definitely have to have an age limit and more than a "few" mods!!:D :D, Jimmy!!

Marja:cool:

12. Jimbob1989

Why an age limit, forums like www.futuremark.com/community dont have an age limit, and they have about 4 or 5 mods logged into the chat section at a time, however its really for show, a lot of the time, they are not really looking whats happening.

Jimbob

13. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Hi Jimmy!

First of all, my comment was a "joke"? I have no REAL idea what this forum would do or not do in regards to a "chat-room"!

I DO know the moderators would definintely BE watching, so don't kid yourself that they are not - at least here!

I spent a very small amount of time at your futuremark, it is a very different kind of forum compared to a security forum, like Wilders'.

I am not sure you see the difference yet, but I am sure with the amount of time you spend here, sooner or later you will. :)

Good Luck on your moderating, I can see you need alot of jobs to keep you busy! Who knows?? :D

Marja:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.