download problem with IE 5.5

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snapdragin, Dec 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

This is probably an old question asked before, and i know i came across this problem once before, but for the life of me i can't remember how i fixed it, or what it took to fix it.... o_O

i can d/l zip files but when i try and d/l exe files this symbol comes up in IE (this is on my Win98se - IE 5.5 SP2 with all current updates)

i can't download the update for PortExplorer (ver 3) or ie-spyad (exe version)...or anything that has the .exe extension.....all other updates like NOD32 or TrojanHunter update ok, with the exception of TDS-3....that i seem to have to manually update now.

....could someone please tell me what this li'l symbol means?? :doubt:

thank you,

snap

edit - yep, it would help to add the symbol...

Attached Files:

2. controler

controler Guest

Did you try setting things to default in IE tools?

3. snapdragin

hi controler! (sorry..i was in javacool's forum reading)

i have tried everything...set IE to default settings....even have the sites i was trying to d/l from set in the Trusted Zone....still got that li'l icon thing....i went back in and set everything to enable....but nothing seems to work.

i did a google search and the only thing that seemed to come close to what i am experiencing is something about needing a "viewer" ?....(not sure if that means i NEED a viewer or i have uninstalled a viewer...or what exactly)....there was something else i read that caused similar problems with IE just showing a ActiveX symbol in the upper right hand corner of a blank screen, and that was related to QuickTime...i think :doubt:

this li'l icon (box) is also on a white blank screen but in my IE's upper left hand corner.

it only seems to show up when i need to d/l an exe file. :(

snap

4. controler

controler Guest

Hi snap

You must have either used a program to clean your registry or another program you are using is conflicting with your browser.
    I am still not sure if you are saying Windows is messed up or your browser. A good way to fix IE is to first download the full browser, NOT just the usual download manager file and then uninstall IE, then reinstall it. If that don't work, you know it is Your OS.

5. snapdragin

i have jv16PowerTools...but i haven't really cleaned anything that much since i am still stepping slowly through the registry...the only files i cleaned with RegCleaner (in jv16PowerTools) was very old one's i knew i had uninstalled and RegCleaner had a green mark to indicate ok (i didn't see or touch any red marked ones).

my IE was working fine awhile ago....since i was able to d/l PortExplorer and other exe files....then tried to update them over the past few days and just getting that icon thingie there. i remember in the past when that happened i would just use my Netscape (that is my default browser on this computer) but even with Netscape i wasn't able to get more then the heading at P.E.'s member's page.

i have the full version of IE and just updated the patches for it tonight hoping that would help...but it didn't.

~sigh~ maybe i will look at some of the files and see if any are outdated...i am sure some are.

thank you controler....(i hope it isn't the OS....this pc isn't used for much now...i just keep it as updated security wise as i can)

snap

6. controler

controler Guest

if it worked with netscape before, it was the browser at that time.
    If you are trying to get updates right from the rpogram , that doesn't have anything to do with IE.
    two things. Removing IE and reinstalling works when all else fails
    next...... Powertools and regcleaner still can mess the resistry up , even those greens ones can cause some wierd stuff. I love Powertools
    but also know it is a two edged sword. The program can fix some problems and can also cause a few if not careful. I am sure you are doing it cautiously though ;)
    you can always use the restore funtion in regcleaner or Powertools.
    to see if that helps. Sure can't hurt.
    I have been seeing some pretty wierd problems with the newer IE updates and older machines running ME

If you haven't checked this by now, go to Tools, internet options, Security, custom level, scroll down to see if File Downloads is enabled.....

7. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

It's a familiar issue, and it's usually due to an ActiveX control on your computer having been uninstalled or deleted, while entries for the add-in program or ActiveX control still remain in the registry.

Quicktime or Netzip plugins are the main culprits.

Go to start/run, and type 'Regedit'

Navigate to the following subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins\Extension

Highlight this subkey 'Extension', and choose 'delete'.

Please don't confuse with the 'ExtensionS' key further up.

See the illustration.

Close Regedit, and reboot.

Good luck,

8. TonyKlein

9. snapdragin

~drops head on keys~

Tony - thank you!! LOL!
    it's almost 5:30 am here and i JUST found exactly what you posted and came back to get the instructions from this pc off the webpage i found....and peeked in here and saw your post.

You just confirmed it for me...thank you!

Can i ask one question though - do i delete that whole folder "Extension"?

snap

(i found it here....it seemed to be the closest to my problem)
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win98/Q_20187801.html

10. TonyKlein

Yup you can.

Cheers,

11. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Thnxs for the compliment Tony. Mine was only 8 minutes slower :D
    There was nothing in there you hadn´t mentioned and explained more clearly. That´s why I deleted it.

Regards,

Pieter

12. snapdragin

Well you BOTH got karma cookies!! It worked!

i made a registry backup just in case (nervous with the registry i still am)....then deleted the folder (Extension) and rebooted....and i was able to d/l ie-spyad.exe and also version 3 of Port Explorer! Whoo Hoo!! Now i can go to bed! LOL!

thank you both ((hug)) ...it made me less nervous about doing it when i saw your posts here. :)

warmest regards and thanks!

snap

(edited to add - it had to be QuickTime since i don't have the other's that were mentioned....either way, i am gonna bookmark this thread in case it happens again)

13. TonyKlein

Hey, you're welcome! :D

Now go and get yourself a deserved good night's sleep! ;)

Cheers,

14. controler

controler Guest

I can see not wanting to reinstall IE if you are a dialup connection BUT
    if you have broadband, and you don't I am thinking you be wasting your time.

1. Time spent looking for a specific answer. 8 hours
    2. Time verifying the fix. 8 hours. Why ? well from past experience, if you encounter a problem such as this, there is most likely more problems lurking in the background. Ask Jooske, she has been down this road before.

Unless of course you enjoy finding out what the current specific problem is. :D
    As most of us know, The best policy is to reformat LOL

15. snapdragin

LOL controler! - i didn't spend an entire 8 hrs. looking for the fix, specifically, there was a few "scans", updating, defragging and replacing going on in those 8 hrs (plus a li'l laundry since i was already awake) LOL! But to reformat that pc now....well, it's not something i would want to do since it would take me more than 8 hrs to find and redownload and install all the programs i still have on it (i keep most of them as backup).

the Win98se is 2 yrs old, so there will always be problems in the background....but i haven't received a BSOD in a very long time, just the odd li'l problem popping up now and then, like this one!

yep! i do! it's a learning experience, i just like learning it one problem at a time. LOL!

thanks for your help controler!

(pops a cookie in napsack)

snap

16. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I'm still learning the system here. What are those karma cookies all about anyway? Was there something in the Help about it, if so, I overlooked it, thanks.

17. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

This thread should explain most of it: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=1747;start=0

Regards,

Pieter

18. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Holy heck, as much help as I've gotten from this group, I owe a bunch of you a bunch of cookies, including you, Pieter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.