Trend Micro Internet Security 2005

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Chuck57, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I was looking around for something else to play with and found Trend Micro at the Microsoft site with a 90 day trial and half price ($24.97US) to purchase. It comes with their antivirus, a firewall, spyware check, some kind of security check that checks for MS security vulnerabilities or something like that, and looks pretty good. It's a big download (50MB).

Does anyone use it? Do they have their own firewall or use someone else's? I know that for the past few yrs, Trend Micro has done well in with the VB 100 tests. Before I settle down for a 50MB download using dial-up, I'm curious to hear what others say.

I know antivirus and firewalls are personal choices, and I've bounced around from one to the other for years. Haven't tried PCcillin yet but the guy who built mine and my wife's computer says it's his first choice.

However, I'm currently with Kaspersky, and he says he's never heard of Kaspersky which makes me wonder how much to trust him. He does build great computers though.

2. Kristi

Kristi Registered Member

Where did you find the offer for Trend Micro Internet Security 2005 on the Windows website? I was not able to find the offer. I would appreciate your posting the url.

3. Chuck57

They don't make it easy to find, but here is the URL. There are 6 available for download.

EZArmor offers a 1 year license.

FSecure is has a half price offer and gives a 3 month trial for either their Internet Security Suite or 6 months for the antivirus package;

McAfee is free (after mail in rebates);

Panda is 90 day;

Norton is 90 day;

Trend Micro Internet Suite 2005 is 90 day and half price if you buy. I don't know if the others offer a price break.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/viruses/default.mspx

4. Kristi

Kristi Registered Member

To Chuck57, Thank you so much for the Windows url. Trend Micro offer is half off OR 90 day free trial. I was hoping that it was 90 days free trial plus half off but it's a good deal. I have been reading that Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 is very good and easy to use.

I also have been reading that NOD32 is excellent anti-virus but that it's for more advanced computer users. As for firewall software, Outpost is rated very high.

You will get a lot of different opinions depending on whether someone wants free software or paid software, on dial-up or cable/DSL, hard disk size, and level of computer expertise. I am willing to purchase software that is easy to use and I'm on cable and have 2/3 free space on my 74GB hard drive.

Thanks again Chuck 57 for the Windows url.

5. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Registered Member

The F-Secure is a nice package also. Uses the Kav engine (v4.5?) with heuristics and I thought I read somewhere it uses ad-aware as part of its internet security suite against spyware. Even at half off, it still seems pricey though.

6. Chuck57

You're right Kristi. I downloaded it without paying attention to what the trend micro site said. I should read more closely before making a choice. It is a sweet package. Very easy to use. I might buy it at the end of the trial, or I might give F-Secure a shot afterwards. As FlashGordon says, it's a nice package, or so I've heard but pricey, even at half off.

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Amazon.com has this for $19.99, as shown HERE.

You must qualify for a $25 rebate to get that price. To qualify, you must be a present owner of PC-Cillan or any Norton or McAfee product. To prove ownership, you have to send in the product's CD, OR diskette, OR front page of owner's manual, OR copy of email confirmation of downloaded purchase.

8. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

Not if you buy it through the microsoft location posted earlier in this thread, it a 50% instant credit. So you pay $5 more but none of the hassle of rebates :D

9. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Does Trend Micro have good heuristics? I'm sure it doesn't come close to NOD32, but compared to something like Panda Platinum IS.

10. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

Not really, but it has very good signatures. Really quick releases on outbreaks, as well.

11. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Thanks hbkh. Do you use Trend Micro? If you do, how do you like it? The reason I'm asking about TM is that I'm using Panda Platinum on XP Home/SP2, and lately I have been getting these messages about low virtual memory. I have 448 RAM of memory installed on my computer. I'm thinking maybe Panda is causing the low virtual memory problem and I would like to give TM a try.

12. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

Yes, I use TMIS 2005 on one machine and before 2005 it used 2004, 2003 and 2002 (I've never had any issues). I like it very much, it barely uses any cpu time, its resource usage isn't bad (for me its around 30 megs) and its detection is quite good, imo (a few might disagree though). You also now, unlike previous versions, have the option to just install the AV part and not the firewall if you like. Although, the firewall in 2005 seems much improved over 2003 and 2004. You also get spam and anti-spyware protection with 2005. :)

hbkh

13. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Maybe I'll give it a try. The 50% off deal is tempting. :)

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I downloaded a 30 day trial from Trend itself yesterday. I had PC-Cillin 2003 and liked it a lot until I found an extremely nasty bug in TMProxy.exe which Trend engineers acknowledged was nasty and promised would be fixed in 2004 but was not. Trend instructed us to delete TMProxy.exe which fixed the bug by just getting rid of the problem but then we had no protection for web mail. So far, I haven't seen any evidence of the bug in this 2005 version but the bug takes time to develop (about two-three months) plus it may affect only W98 as that is what I was using with the 2003 version and 2005 is on XP.

My understanding is that the spam control works only with Outlook and NOT OE which is a shame as I have OE.

It is a nice package and PCC is easy to use and a good AV but not outstanding on detection (not in the class of KAV, McAfee or F-Secure). The spyware scanner scans so fast (two seconds) that I have no idea what it scanned! It finds CoolSearch which makes no sense because I know I do not have that as AdAware and Spybot would have found it. I have never had any spyware on any of my computers. I use FF and practice safe hex. So, I think this is a false positive and when I click on the link for further information there is none and Google gives me hits in Japanese and Chinese and nothing in English. So, I am not impressed with the spyware scanner. I haven't turned on the Firewall.

Does anyone know what TurboScan entails exactly? It looks like it puts ADS tags on all your files like KAV 5.0 does!!!! UGH! Thank goodness, it is not enabled by default if that is what it does!

Edited to add that I am going to have uninstall Trend Micro PCC 2005. I use Fire Fox and I had heard that PCC and Fire Fox don't get along. I can confirm that. I just got a popup from nVidia desktop manager which I have never had before in one year of this computer. This popup said that desktop manager could no longer control pccguide.exe and recommended that I release it from desktop management so that other applications did not also become unstable and freeze. So I did that but it froze the computer. It was using 50% of memory and FireFox was using the other 50%. I have not had Firefox freeze like that and use that much memory in a long time. I lost quite a bit of work when this happened.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  15. Chuck57

I've gone back to my old reliable, Kaspersky Pro 4.5 and am currently using Windows SP2 firewall until I find something new to try.

An interesting situation here. My wife has McAfee Internet Security Suite 6 2004 running on XP SP1.

I tried to load it, since I've never messed with McAfee. The only thing that would load was McAfee Shredder. Nothing else would install on my machine. Isn't McAfee ISS 2004 good with SP2? Or, I wonder if Prevx might have something to do with it. I did turn it off before trying to install McAfee. Still no luck. BTW, this is a clean install. I reformatted and installed SP1 and 2 from the Microsoft CD, so nothing else was aboard cluttering up my machine.

Regardless, I'd probably have returned to Kaspersky Pro 4.5 eventually. It seems that no matter what I use, I always go back to it. I just feel more comfortable with it, ugly as it is.

16. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I installed IS2005 a few days ago, and I'm very pleased with it.

Virus protection has been fine, and anti-spam and spyware-blocking features are excellent. It fairly accurately identifies e-mail spam messages and simplifies exporting of either accurate or false results back to Trend. Simple menu structure makes it easy to edit allowed/blocked senders entries.

Prior use of both NAV and NOD32 with XPSP2 firewall always let spyware tracking cookies through. Since installation of IS2005, frequent Spybot scans have found no spyware at all. Nicely done.

Menu structure is excellent.

Game-playing with internet enabled and active scanner on seems fine for both Doom3 and Thief - Deadly Shadows. With NOD32, I had to exclude the Thief program folder in AMON for proper program- and scene-loading with Thief.

So far, IS2005 appears to be an excellent program.

17. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

I've been running TMIS 2005 for a few days now. I got the Microsoft offer. There are things that I like about it.....full scans don't take forever, inbound/outbound e-mail scanner is nice, it passes all the eicar tests with flying colors, spyware scanner, doesn't bog my computer down.

Things I'm not too crazy about........when I open TMIS 2005 the GUI is not centered in the screen (it sits low on the screen, at least on my monitor it does), the color of the GUI is a little in your face.

I would rather see the virus updates shown as dates, rather than the number of the pattern file. I have to either go to TM site or click on the manual update button, to see if the pattern file I have is the current one.

When I hover my cursor over the icon in the task bar after an update, it doesn't show the new pattern file number. I have to open the GUI to see the new pattern file number. When I reboot, the new pattern file number is there when I hover the cursor over the icon.

Over all though, so far I like it.

18. Thorny

Thorny Guest

Re: Microsoft offer http://www.trendmicro.com/offers/ms-wsc/english.asp

If you select "buy" option, country UK, suprise, suprise!!!!!

It would appear that if you live in the UK what is on offer for half price is not the lastest version of Trend Micro Security 2005, but the older PC-cillin™ Internet Security 11.

19. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

you're right that sucks!

20. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I luv my trend 2004..suite? been using it for a yr now no viruses at all get through also gr8 catches bad websites 2?? I used Norton and it missed 1/2 the stuff Trend did?? That along with Giant and adaware Bo clean..I havnt had 1 virus to dateo_O pc gets every 1.. I wont ever change !!!! :eek:

21. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

I'm running Trend Micro Internet Security 2005 that I purchased at the Microsoft half price offer. I really like it. There is no slow downs in connection speeds or when booting up. Full scans are fast. I like the inbound/outbound e-mail scanning. I don't have any extensive list of viruses that I keep for testing, so the only thing I go by is the Eicar test virus. TMIS 2005 stopped all four Eicar tests and also the Eicar e-mail test. Good enough for me. [​IMG]

When I first installed TMIS 2005, I didn't install the firewall. I was running ZAP 5.5. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to give it a try. I uninstalled ZAP and installed TMIS's firewall. I passes the Shields Up and Leak Test at GRC.com.

At this point, I have no desires to go hunting for another antivirus/security suite. I'm very happy with TMIS 2005.

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I just got the trend micro internet security offer from the microsoft. I have used trend micro before but I forgot how light it runs on my system. The firewall is not my favorite but you can play with it a bit. Well I think I will keep it a year anyways. i am tired of buying a license for an av and then not useing it so I am going to use this one. I have a stack of licensed av's six inches tall that The time is just running out on. :( but thats life when you like to play around with antivirus apps.

bigc :D

Happy new year :D

23. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Your play is our gain. I want you to know that I appreciate it. You have a good New Year too. ;)

24. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Hello everyone, my first day here! A happy new year to all of you!

Too bad for the Tsunami victims.

Anyhow, coming to the subject at point, PC-cillin Internet Security can be good or bad depending on your setting. I am a regular home user, and I used to have PC-cillin 2002 and 2003 editions. As far as I can tell, I liked the interface a lot and the firewall is nice ENOUGH. And I heard the 2005 firewall has improved a lot.

Now I use MicroWorld's eScan, 'h' build (KAV based, 4.5 engine, uses KAV's extended bases). The reason for my shift was that PCC's detection of Trojans was less than satisfactory. It could not detect Keylog-Briss or Win32.Bridge trojans. Of course it could have changed now. Dunno about the AdWare and SpyWare detection, though.

(Hope that helped)

With Regards,
    Firecat N.

25. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I've been running IS2005 for a couple of months now.

The only real disappointment is that the spam prevention doesn't seem to apply to Outlook Express. I rely on setting rules and using the message-blocking provisions of Outlook Express for spam-blocking.

I've immunized with SpywareBlaster, blocked third-party cookies and made a few changes in IE privacy settings. With these changes in place, I've been spyware-free and spam-free for several weeks. Neither Ad-Aware, Spybot, SpywareDoctor or TrojanHunter scans find infections.

With the exception of the ineffective spam-blocking , I'm quite pleased with Trend Micro IS2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.