HELP!McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wangk0998, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wangk0998

wangk0998 Registered Member

I'm a chinese and my English is very poor,but I really meet some difficulty when I use this program.
    I've using McAFee VirusScan Enterprise 8 for a week and am quite happy with it,however I don't know whether I need to use its patches。I know the lastest one is patch 9,and I've downloaded patch 1,4,5,7,8,9.

I wish that everybody understands English that I speak. :oops:

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

We have been trying out this version, on about 80 workstations at work, for about 2 months now. But at the present time we have only applied;

1. Patch 1 then 7, which was thought to stop a possible memory leakage.

2. Patch 9, which protects against a possible JPEG exploit.

Our IT staff tell us which patches to use. We are still testing so we may need to install previous/future patches.

If the program appears to be stable on your machine I would not install all the patches you have downloaded.

Because some of them are simply better replacements for previous patches e.g. Patch 7 replaces Patch 1 and Patch 9 replaces Patch 5.

My advice is to ask your IT support staff.

Despite the release of 9 patches in 2 months suggesting a buggy program, we have found it to be very stable so far.

Hope this helps.

3. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

can anyone give links to the patches?

4. Jxkruzzn

Jxkruzzn Guest

Are you all talking about SP2 patches or McAfee patcheso_O

McAfee should download and install any patches needed automatically. The paid versions always are scanned at start-up and downloaded/installed first thing.

If you have auto update for Windows, those should also be downloaded/installed.

If there is a patch after a patch, there is usually a very good reason, what is your IT thinking to decide IF you need a patch or not, seems very haphazard?

My 2 cents

5. Blackcat

As far as I know you cannot simply pick up the patches using the Enterprise updater in the program. This picks up malware definitions and engine upgrades only. The retail product is obviously different.

At the present time, our IT people download from a specific McAfee Corporate site( you need special permission for access), then upload to a site at work which we can then download manually from.

McAfee together with other AV companies can push out a lot of patches/fixes in a relatively short period of time. Our IT people simply decide what is necessary in their view to give maximum protection but without disturbing stability of the software/hardware. ALL the patches are tested before installing in house.

Some of these patches have given both software instabilities and BSOD on some of our machines so these were obviously not pushed out to all of our computers.

Further, one of these patches completely slowed down my laptop to a crawl, so I am a little wary simply applying every patch they put out, particularly as stated above some of the later ones are simply better fixes than the earlier ones. As with Microsoft's updates, unless it is a critical fix, people should be able to judge for themselves after reading about the fix, whether a patch is appropriate for their machines or not.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  6. jxkruzzn

jxkruzzn Guest

I heard they were going to do that, still, I would think any patch McAfee has for your machines, would be needed.

I, personally, would check for myself.

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I really don't want to disagree with anyone but you need to install the patches as they become availabe because each patch fixes a different problem. If you don't install one of them you are liable to leave an exploit hole open on your machine.

bigc

8. Blackcat

Feel free to disagree, bigc ( I am a rapper, :D :cool: )

I agree with you that for Windows and critical fixes people need to be fully patched and up to date, otherwise, as you say, you are vulnerable to a particular malware/exploit. But installation of non-critical fixes will depend on individual circumstances, in respect of your individual software and/or hardware.

But for this Enterprise AV, according to our IT bods, initial patching takes time and apparently can be a little more tricky; see for example;

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=33319&highlight=patches
    http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=33646&highlight=patches

Some of these patches are really 'hot fixes' and so are installed pretty quickly. But they are slower to install other seemingly non-critical patches depending upon what they fix and their effect on the network.

But they are still 'testing' this new version on our Departmental computers, so eventually they may well be fully patched.

Don't forget that in a large Business/Company we are talking about the eventual roll out of a program on hundreds, if not thousands of computers. So any (detrimental)effects of the installation of new software and relevant patches/fixes on the network will probably take much longer to see than on a standalone computer.

9. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

bigc your advice is good for home users and the average small business, however when you are talking about very large corporations, OS patches and AV patches may interfere with critical systems/software needed for production or whatever operational needs the company may have, the amount of software some companies use on a daily basis can be mind boogling so the chances of slowdowns or worse a work stoppage is greatly increased. This is one of the reasons most large corporations are still using Win2000, the amount of time needed to evaluate new software, then determine compatibility issues and solve them, then train personnel, then install a new OS for exmaple can take a few years in some cases.

editted for spelling

10. Blackcat

EVALUATE, now that was the word I should have used in my previous post :p

The time for evaluation of software, as flyrfan111 stated, is much longer in the corporate field.

Although we are currently testing this new Enterprise AV, apparently our IT people suggest a 'tentative' roll-out to all workstations on campus by next summer/autumn at the earliest!

Any downtime is critical and costly, so any possible major conflicts with this new AV and our hardware/software needs to be solved before the major roll out.

Thanks for posting flyrfan111 ;)

11. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

No problem Blackcat, glad to assist.

12. wangk0998

wangk0998 Registered Member

Thanks a lot blackcat and bigc!I think I know how to do :D :cool:

Since mcafee is a corporate antivirus and not meant for home use the links to mcafee VirusScan enterprise 8.0i have been removed, since an enterprise antivirus is patched through a corporate environment with a liscense# the links to the patches could only be meant for home users which is not authorizrd by mcafee so the links to the patches will also be removed==bigc [/I]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.