Can't Log In!!!

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by worldcitizen, Oct 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

After setting up PG and then trying to logon to my account again it wouldn't log on. I rebooted and it logged on so I didn't bother about it until I tried to log on to my wife's account. The same thing happened, I couldn't log on and had to reboot. After rebooting, I could log onto my wife's account but after logging off and trying to log on to my account it wouldn't log on. My mouse was still moving but the screen did nothing.

So I disabled PG and went straight from my account to my wife's and back again and I was able to log on back and forth so PG was not allowing me to log onto another account without first rebooting!!

I uninstalled PG - again.

So Pilli, you know about my previous crash. If you can tell me how to get over both problems I'll install again but I'm even more disappointed now because just when I thought I might be able to use it again along comes another problem. Logging off and logging into another account wasn't a problem in the previous beta 3.

Dave

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Dave, Not sure about this one, you may have to await a DCS response pgaccount.exe is what handles these functions.
    I take it you did install from an admin account, so that should be fine.
    I am wondering if there is a registry setting that may be causing the problem possibly a remnant from previous installs?
    If so you need to uninstall PG delete all it's files including the .dat files.
    In your registry cleaner search for any keys based on the following search strings.
    pgaccount, process guard & procguard Note: to remove some keys you will need to change the permissions to Allow - right click on the key select permissions to enable the change.

The fun of beta testing :)

Pilli

3. worldcitizen

Hi Pilli,

That was my 1st install on a fresh Windows install so there wasn't anything left over at all.

I just emailed Gavin to ask what went wrong. I installed it on an administrators account so there's no problem there. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the new Catalyst drivers and Catalyst Control Centre which I installed. (but disabled PG 1st) After I installed it I set different graphics settings for my wife and I and PG would only allow access to a different account after a reboot. That is, if I wanted to access my wife's account I had to reboot. If I did try and access it from the log on menu nothing would happen but I was able to move the mouse freely.

Also, after these problems and the one with Giant, even after uninstalling PG, my PC would not sut down but always rebooted so I had to restore an image - again.

If there's anything good to say then it's about TRUE IMAGE. This has got to be the best backup program on earth. So many times it has saved my entire weekend re-installing Windows & my applications and games etc. So many times like now, after these problems I was up and running again in 15 minutes.

As for PG - well I just can't use it yet until it these problems are solved.

Dave

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi Dave,

Have you changed any settings in PG ? Have you installed new programs ?
    Please make a copy of PGUARD.DAT and send it to support/Jason so we can look at it thanks ! C:\Windows\System32\pguard.dat

Then delete that file and try again.. this would happen IF you disallowed certain memory writing. Can you make sure you dont UNTICK any allow options ever for the default programs. Luckily they are numbered, 1 -12 :)

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hmm catalyst drivers use many processes maybe one is new!. Make sure learning mode is on when you set up and the reboot will give allows for the new(?) ATI processes.

You didnt have block new/changed on did you ? perhaps this could cause it in the same way..

6. worldcitizen

Sorry Gavin but I had too many problems logging in and my wife was screaming so I had to restore an image and don't have anything to send you.

I didn't untick anything or disallow anything. Everything that was on by default I left on and was very careful to use almost every program (except I forgot to run a Giant Scan) I rebooted then left it awhile and rebooted again.

Later I installed the ATI Catalyst NEW 4.10 drivers with the ATI CONTROL PANEL -this is really a VERY COOL piece of software that can make more changes to your PC than a woman can change her mind (LOL).

Around this time I started getting log in problems but I'm almost certain I was able to log in to my wife's account earlier on because I remember loading PG in her account. I created different graphics settings for her and me but PG was not in learning mode. Once I installed the Control Centre I turned the protection back on. I played around a lot with the ATI Control Centre and I suppose PG didn't like that.

Any way, turning PG protection off solved the problem so I ended up un-installing it but afterwards my PC always rebooted instead of shutting down so I got fed up with everything and restored my image so I'm back to square one WITHOUT PG - AGAIN. The error in Administrative Tools under system said something about BSOD and wrong parameters although I didn't see a blue screen.

Would be nice to be able to use PG one day soon.

Dave

7. worldcitizen

No - I didn't have block new/changed turned on. I never turn that on at all.

I don't know why DCS don't make me a beta tester because I seem to be able to find bugs that no-one else finds. I beta test for Tweak XP and that's one of the most popular programs available. If it works on my PC it will work on everyone's.

Dave

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Dave Siliconeman)! produced this procedure, it may help with your problem :)

siliconman01
    Senior Member Join Date: Mar 2003

Re: PG version 3 - BSOD

You may wish to try upgrading to the new ATI Catalyst driver that was issued yesterday, 14-Oct-04. It is referred to as version 4.10 which seems a bit odd because the previous version was 4.9. However, it does take the video adapter driver up from 6.14.10.6467 to 6.14.10.6483.

Here's a recommended procedure for upgrading the driver for ATI. (Windows XP-SP2)

1. Be sure to have installed Driver Cleaner version 3.3 for use during the driver upgrade. Read the README for Driver Cleaner.

2. Download the latest ATI 4.10 driver set and save it for installation later.

3. Create a new Restore point so that you have a current restore point should it be needed.

4. Disable Process Guard protection.

5. Use msconfig and turn off all your startup programs. Reboot your computer with all programs off. Be sure to be disconnected from the Internet to avoid possible attacks.

6. Using Add/Remove Programs, uninstall the current ATI driver.

7. When the ATI uninstaller asks you to reboot, reboot. However, boot up into SAFE Mode. (tapping F8 immediately on rebooting).

8. When the hardware driver wizard attempts to install the ATI driver, CANCEL the wizard. You may get two Wizard windows. Cancel them both.

9. Start Driver Cleaner V3.3. Under Tools, select Cab Cleaner and let it clean and rebuild your Cabs. This takes several minutes normal.

10. After the cabs are cleaned, Select ATI in the window and let it clean all the system32 elements for ATI.

11. After Driver Cleaner is done, close it and reboot to Windows with all your programs still turned off. When the hardware driver wizard attempts to install the ATI driver, CANCEL the wizard. You may get two Wizard windows. Cancel them both.

12. Run the installer for the new ATI driver. Follow the instructions during the installation. Reboot your computer when it says to.

13. After ATI performs its tests, set your desktop settings up if need be using Display in the Control Panel.

14. Start the Process Guard Gui and enable PG Protection.

15. Using msconfig, turn on all your startup programs and reboot with all your startup programs running.

I use the above procedure for each ATI driver upgrade on Windows XP and it has yet to fail me.

HTHs and solves your BSOD.

9. worldcitizen

Thanks for that Pilli.

The problem appears to be PG was blocking access to more than 1 logon. I had to reboot everytime I wanted to change accounts!!

Real weird.

Dave

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

You are a beta tester :D Thanks.
    It is up to DCS to select the private beta testers.
    The Process Guard beta testers have done thousands of tests over the past few weeks and found many issues before the Public Betas were released, it is impossible to account for every possible configuration, so there will always be those that are dissapointed.

Your input is very welcome - Thanks again. Pilli :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.