Testing Heuristics Detection in a Real-World Scenario

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Q Section, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Here is a recent article for your perusal.

2. Tweakie

Tweakie Registered Member

Sounds like people from Eset tries to justify themselves for not participating to the latest av-test.org retrospective detection test. Maybe they fear that they would not have had the 1rst place, since they put a lot of marketing effort in promoting NOD32 heuristics ( a bad result would have been almost as bad as missing a VB100 for them).

Of course, the figures given by this kind of test (<40%) are probably far from what a good heuristic engine can achieve in "real world". Mainly because the time elapsed between the latest engine update and the first appearance of the malware is much longuer than what it would be in a standard "real world" use.

But still, in "real world", very few products allow to update signatures and heuristics separately. And in some products (F-Prot) there are very close links between both. And scanning a collection of already-known worms with signature scan disabled proves absolutely nothing.

Also, it is quite hard to establish accurately the time when a malware have been discovered for the first time. Of course that it would be good to scan every new malware with a scanner that is just 12 hours older than the malware itself (did I miss something or is this the author's proposal), but I think this kind of test would require a lot of work, much more than the so-called "retrospective tests". And somebody has to pay for that work...

To sum up, I somehow agree with his conception of what would an ideal proactive test. But I'm afraid this "real world" testing does not complies with real world constraints...

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It would have been a courtesy if you had mentioned that your link would precipitate a .pdf download. Yes, I recognize that I should have looked before I leaped but I sometimes forget that there are people around who, sad to say, do this sort of thing.

The referenced article is a self-serving apologetic, under the guise of technical discussion.

I found your post enlightening, tweakie. AV tests which provide reasonably full & clear disclosure of their test bed and testing methodology can provide useful indicators of the quality of the programs being measured.

As for heuristics, DrWeb remains the king...
    Heur today, guam to maui. :cool:

4. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

And NOD32 is one of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.