Process Guard v3 FINAL BETA released!

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Wayne - DiamondCS, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Process Guard Public FINAL BETA is now available to registered users!
    This will be the final public beta before a full public beta is made available to the general public in a week or so.

Virtually all wishlist requests and suggestions have been incorporated, all known bugs have been eliminated, the interface has been aesthetically enhanced, and we've made it even easier to use.

To DOWNLOAD this new version, simply log into the Members Area and go into the Process Guard subsection where you'll find the download link.

INSTALLING is as easy as installing any other program, but you'll need to fully uninstall any previous versions of Process Guard first and reboot before you can install. If you are running the previous ProcessGuard v3.000 BETA, when you uninstall it will launch the ProcessGuard window, make sure you disable protection if it isn't already, then close the window.

We hope you enjoy this final public beta release, and we'd like to take this opportunity to graciously THANK everyone for their feedback and time spent testing this program - your efforts have helped us make Process Guard what it is today and we couldn't have done it without you.

We look forward to more feedback!

Best regards,
    Wayne, Jason and Gavin
    - DiamondCS

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:D you get lobster meal woho dowenloaded it wow way cool

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

For those that have it I have a CryptoSuite Chat server running for those that want to chat about the new build:

IP Address: 82.6.95.65 Pott: 5094 PassWord: pbpg3

A screenshot showing the security list and a right click on the PG Tray icon :)

Attached Files:

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The new UI fits my desktop/WindowBlinds theme perfectly :)

5. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Yeuck, that image software you use really degrades the image quality. Save as JPG or get Paint Shop Pro which optimizes colours for GIF and other 8bit file formats. :)

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Deleted that was a rubbish .gif

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

You post one then Jason,you usually have them stacked up ready ;)

:)

8. Jason_DiamondCS

Example 1 :)

Attached Files:

9. Jason_DiamondCS

Example 2 :eek:

Attached Files:

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Even yours do not show the quality of the real thing unfortunately :D

Cheers. Pilli

11. Jason_DiamondCS

Yep, long live true colour, down with 8bit GIFs. :)

12. Jazzie1

Jazzie1 Registered Member

Hi all!
    I still notice that the newly named, "Securely handle Window closure" still does not function properly. Ok, you get the pop-up, but then it goes away along with the app that you forcefully close. SO, what good is the codeo_O

CU
    Jazzie

13. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Jazzie, What particular program were you trying to close?

Here is PE being closed by APT and I get the correct HID pressing cancel and PE lives. Moving focus and the HID closes and PE lives.

It may depend on what the program does, hopefully Jason will be able to fix such issues before the release.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  14. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi Jazzie,

can you give us more details ? on which apps do you try this ?

gkweb.

EDIT : Pilli, the fastest man on earth.

15. Jazzie1

It doesn't matter Phil (any), if you click on cancel twice the pop-up is gone along with the app. So, with that kind of bug, all a trojan/malware author would have to do is use SendKeys to close the app and the box for the matter... Let me just uninstall this!!!

l8ter
    Jazzie

16. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Jazzie that is not the behaviour that I am getting here. :)
    Please describe the programs that you tried and the programs you tried against it.

Cheers. Pilli

17. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

I did try to reproduce what you describe with LnS and with plenty of other programs - i can't. I can't even click twice on cancel, for the pop-up disappears after the first click and all apps I've tried this on have stayed alive. (And unlike with PGv2, none had the pop-up immediately reappear, so even this way I could not click cancel twice.)
    And with Pilli it's the same way, AFAIU. The malware of that author will certainly work only on machines with a certain setup. I don't know how extensive your reports and exchange with DCS over that matter have been, but I suppose that unless there is some of it, they will not be able to do something about it.

Take care (esp. without PG installed ;)

Andreas

18. Night

Night Guest

May not be the behaviour your getting there, nevertheless it does exist because Jazzie isn’t the only one who experienced that anomaly. Naming the programs is irrelevant, but the method used was SendKeys to exit the apps GUI. ;)

19. Night

Night Guest

When you cancel once, it minimizes the dialog to systray and when clicking to bring it back up you click Cancel once again and on Windows XP with SP2 it closes along with the running process that was protected.

20. Jazzie1

ANdreas1, Phill and others! I have reported this on more than one occasion. This isn't the first time. If it is Just my set-up and not yours, then I guess PG reacts differently on certaint systems. The CLOSE MESSAGE HANDLING (Among other names) does not work for me, it never did!!! It has been that way since the version 1. So, it doesn't matter what app I use or use to kill another process.. The box dissapears on clicking cancel twice and so does the app. That is enough for me... SO yeah, I am taking care without PG being installed...

Taking Care,
    Jazzie

21. gkweb

Hi,

why to not tell us one apps on which it does not work (even if this is the case for all on your setup) for that DCS can work on it ?
    A constructive post would too (unless you did and I didn't see it, so sorry to ask again) what is your OS/patches/hardware ?
    Instead of blaming a software to not be perfect from start (I do not know any for which it is the case) help DCS by giving details instead of being angry.

On my setup, I click Cancel once, and the popup disapear, the protected app does not close.

Thanks in advance.

gkweb.

22. Night

Night Guest

Regular clicking of a mouse to exit the GUI obviously isn’t going to have the same end results; you want to experience this problem yourselves you going to have to use an app using the method SendKeys to exit out of the app to encounter what Jazzie and the others are experiencing…

23. rodsoto

rodsoto Registered Member

Bit confused.... you'd rather be unprotected for the other ways PG protects processes........ just because ONE of them doesn't work for you..... A way of terminating processes that a trojan needs to target PG specifically to terminate it.... a way that I don't think even exists in current trojans out there...

Its like saying driving a brand new ferrari is NOT worth driving because the sound system is crap!

Each to their own i guess.

24. Jason_DiamondCS

Good post. :)

25. gkweb

Just use DiamondCS Advanced Process Termination (APT), which, still, does not close my protected apps.
    But anyway I'm nealry sure that it does not make any difference, that you use SendKeys API or manual click, because SendKeys are clicks, the final result is the same.

EDIT :
    msdn quote about SendKeys API :

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.