More frequent NAV LiveUpdate virus defs?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Sep 27, 2004.

?

Do you miss more frequent LiveUpdate virus definitions?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. I don't care

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I have sent the suggestion to Symantec for more frequent LiveUpdate virus definitions. NAV2005 looks really promising,but definitions that are released once a week aren't doing any good to this product.

Do you miss more frequent LiveUpdate defs for NAV? I know that i do...

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Don't hold your breath for this greedy company. NAV is good, but it isn't better than its nearest competitor McAfee in catching bugs.

NAV is all about advertising. Get a sweetheart deal with the PC vendors to load a copy of NAV in that brand new PC, and make it as hard as possible on the user to completely remove the software.

On the positive side, I've seen some new Dells come preloaded with McAfee. Go MFE!

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah,but NAV2005 is finally like it should be from the beginning. Apart from the processes number and rare auto updates. It even uninstalls properly.
    Their update sistem works in full incrimentral style,so i really don't see the problem of more frequent updates.

4. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

McAfee updates it's virus defs only once a week also. Just like NAV. I don't use either. Just trying to be fair.

5. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

There are batch files that automatically update the defs and can be set up with Scheduled Tasks. These are for Intelligent Updater or Rapid Defs. IU updates once a day and Rapid Defs more often. The batch files I tried wouldn't work for me. Maybe something has to be changed with NAV 2005. If anyone has any batch files that has worked for them with NAV 2005, it would be much appreciated if those could be shared.

On a side note, any class 3 threat and above are released immediately through LU. By default, LU runs every 4 hours on NAV 2005 and those times can be changed. They won't update the defs though. Only through IU and Rapid Defs that can be done, either manually or a batch file.

6. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Hi jon_fl. Not sure what OS you are using, but if it's XP, give this a try. It worked for me.

Make a new folder in your C:\ directory and name it IUBeta2.

Copy and paste this in notepad............

open ftp.symantec.com
    anonymous
    nobody@spammer.com
    cd public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/rapidrelease/
    lcd C:\IUBeta2
    bin
    hash
    prompt
    get symrapidreleasedefsi32.exe
    quit

Save it to your new IUBeta2 folder as cescriptbeta.txt

Copy and paste this in notepad (not the same notepad used above)

ftp -s:cescriptbeta.txt
    "c:\IUBeta2\symrapidreleasedefsi32.exe" /q
    del /q "c:\IUBeta2\symrapidreleasedefsi32.exe"

Save it to your IUBeta2 folder as Intelligent.bat

You should have two entries in the IUBeta2 folder. Double click the Intelligent.bat and it should work. Hope that helps.

7. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Unless Symantec has changed its manual update protocol, the user would still have to download a very large chunk of data to update the virus database.

I believe NAV has always had incremental update with LiveUpdate. Current size is around 150 to 250KB. Are we saying that version 2005 can do it in 50KB or less, like Avast?

The frequency of update for NAV and McAfee is about the same. However, McAfee is a lot cheaper, and it also catches more bugs.

8. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

It is true that IU download is a larger chunk of data as opposed to LU which just downloads the latest defs released from the week before. I'm not sure about the amount of data from the Beta Defs, now known as Rapid Release. Shaker, do you know how large the data is from the RR and do you see an increase in false positives from these?

9. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Sorry jon_fl, not sure about the size of the data from RRbeta. I didn't think to check and I'm not using NAV at this time. I did not see any increase in false positives when I had it running. Is NAV 2005 still running nice for you?

I guess we are getting off topic from the original poster. :)

10. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I was trying very hard to get another AV. I wasn't happy with NAV 2004 at all. I liked the speed of NOD, but the test results were a little inconsistent and it appeared that Trojan detection was a weakness. I'm not knocking NOD at all; it was one of my finalists. I really liked MKS_vir a lot but decided to try NAV 2005 before I decided. I was pleasantly surprised. My computer ran and booted much faster than 2004 and I liked the way it looked. NAV test results were pretty consistent. If I had one concern, it would be the weekly def updates. McAfee, which rates very high, updates weekly too. I also had some concerns with other AVs working with SP2. So after all of that, I'm happy with it...unless something else really wows me before the 60 day return policy is finished. :)

11. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Good to hear you're happy with it. :)

12. Vector Cell

Vector Cell Guest

I suppose the same could go with McAfee (They said they would switch to daily regular updates, but it doesn't seem like they are moving very quickly). I would assume, if McAfee starts daily updates, Symantec will follow suit, and vice versa.

13. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Just wondering, how frequently do you really get an updated def on the AVs that check for them hourly? I would imagine that any good AV would update rather quickly if a serious threat broke out. :ninja:

14. MNKid

MNKid Guest

One word : ebay

In a few months, NAV will be on there for under 10 bucks. Supply and demand. I bought NIS '04 for a buddy for 1 dollar last week. Of course, Mcafee can also be had for pennies on the dollar as well.

Gotta love the free market.

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

At least 4 times per week (or more on outbreaks) should do the trick.
    Once per week is not enogh for such product. I would expect more frequent updates for such payable products. This also applies to McAfee.
    Even free AVG,AntiVir and avast! update more often.
    And LiveUpdate is full incrimental update ready. I don't see any problem why they couldn't release updates more often. Are they lazy or what?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thanks Shaker,the thing is working,but the update is still huge and downloads itself even if you already have the same update installed. But ok,i put this batch into Task Manager and force it to run once per day at night when i'm not doing anything. Until Symantec starts using their incrimental update system more frequently...

17. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

How large is the update? I guess it just keeps overwriting the defs you already have. I thought the Rapid Release would have been a smaller update than the Intelligent Updater.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well it takes quiet a while to download on my 1Mbit connection. It must be over 1MB. (1MB takes 10seconds to download on my connection)

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ok i found the easier way to deal with these updates.
    I'm just testing my app that will automatically download this update,apply it and erase all tracks of update process. It can be also used with Task Manager :)
    Much easier to use and doesn't requre any file/folder or batch editing.

Oh,i almost forgot,every update is over 5MB in size!
    This is very important for those who pay per MB,so they won't use this with Task Manager in too frequent intervals. Once per day is recommended maximum for updates,because they are released daily.

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

21. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Hi RejZoR. After reading your post, I decided to install my NAV 2005 and your Rapid Updater. It does the job much faster than the rapid release batch file. I haven't put it in Schedule Tasks yet. I will do that later today.

Great job RejZoR. :D A big thank you for taking the time and energy making this app. I appreciate the work you did, and I'm sure other NAV 2005 users will also. :)

22. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Hey RejZoR! Add me to the list of appreciation for that neat program. I put it in task manager and it works perfectly. Thank you very much. :D

Wish you had some descriptions for some of your other software. Can you tell me how your Power Defragmenter works and how it may differ from XP's? Is that one of your apps too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.