Amon conflicting with the odd application

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by TonyKlein, Nov 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Let me first assure you that I'm a huge Nod32 fan, and I'm avidly looking forward to the next version.

I have a question though.

In Win 98 SE (as well as in XP) Amon causes JV16 Power Tools to take ages to start up, accompanied by mouse freezes.

I believe I saw the same thing reported for The Cleaner.

Now I noticed while installing XP that Amon and my Hp 125xi Officejet don't go together either.

Everything screeches to a halt, menus take ages to unfold, and applications take an eternity to start up.

Now I can easily prevent hpoojd07.exe, which isn't absolutely required, from starting up, and I can also briefly disable Amon before printing or scanning something, but is this issue (and I have no idea how common it really is) something which is being addressed at all for the coming version?

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Tony,

IMHO it's a matter of design, rather than a conflict.

Anyway: did you try to exclude? Have a look at the "exclude" tab over on our NOD32 screen shots.

regards,

paul

3. TonyKlein

Thanks Paul.

No I totally forgot to try that... :rolleyes:

I exluded the entire Program Files/HP folder for a start, and, true enough, the problems disappeard!

Thanks for waking me up! :D

Cheers,

4. Paul Wilders

Tony,

Problem solved - and that's all that counts! ;)

regards.

paul

5. TonyKlein

Thanks again, Paul.

Incidentally, I just discovered that excluding the SpyBot folder as well significantly increases SB's scan speed.

6. Paul Wilders

Indeed it will. That's the "design" issue I have been referring to: AMON grabs everything while executing first. By doing so, slow downs are bound to occur. In essence, IMO this design is a good thing. On the other hand, this "exclude option" has been build in for good reasons: there can be files/directories not having the need to be grabbed by the AMON. In general, I for one would be careful in determining what to exclude.

regards.

paul

7. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Guest

Paul,
    What, then would you consider safe to exclude?
    Thanks,
    Jack

8. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

> Indeed it will. That's the "design" issue I have been referring to: AMON grabs everything while executing first. By doing so, slow downs are bound to occur. In essence, IMO this design is a good thing. On the other hand, this "exclude option" has been build in for good reasons: there can be files/directories not having the need to be grabbed by the AMON. In general, I for one would be careful in determining what to exclude.

Hmmmm ... I didn't find much of a gain with SpyBot S&D ... not even with Amon disabled. (This isn't something I recommend, btw ... it was only a speed test for my own info.)

SpyBot is s-l-o-w, but it's thorough ... Patrick does a great job of keeping up with the latest pestware.

I can put up with the speed. :)

9. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Guest

Sorry, Paul. I got distracted. For instance, is it safe to exclude things like your scanner, which Trojan Hunter, etc.? And if it hasn't already been mentioned above (I'll have to look again), how exactly do I exclude things - I looked at the screenshot for the exclusions, saw the tab, so I know that much . . .
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Jack

10. Paul Wilders

Hi Jack,

Golden rule: don't add anything to the exlude list, unless you encounter severe problems/conflicts. If these do happen, feel free to post over on this forum.

Keeping the statement above in mind: try pushing the "add" button on the left bottom corner, and go on from there ;).

regards.

paul

11. Scotcov

Scotcov Guest

Just a suggestion. Could NOD possibly make it obvious in the FAQ or elsewhere that there is this design issue with JV16Powertools, and the solutions posted above? Some of are asleep like TKlein or just plain dense, like me. With my win98, powertools just plain didn't work, and I purchased a different AV because of that.
    BTW, I continue to be amazed at the quality of help on this NOD Forum. I look foward to becoming a NOD user!
    Scotcov

12. Paul Wilders

Hi Scotcov,

With due respect: it's fairly impossible to know most let alone all other software around that possibly could cause problems. The AMON is merely acting the way it should (depending on how exactly you did configure it).

I'm not under the impression you are plain dense ;). The FAQ mostly covers all aspects from NOD32 and all configurations - and there's this Forum at your disposal!

Thanks for the compliment! We merely deliver what we have promised: good, fast and reliable help ;)

A calculated guess: you will be even more as soon as V2.0 arrives!

regards.

paul

13. Ghost

Ghost Guest

rodzilla - I did get a ten-second shorter scan time from SBS&D after temporarily disabling AMON.

Cool!

I don't fault either program for the slowdown - it's just nice to know that that was part of the reason for SBS&D's lengthening scan time!

14. marti

marti Registered Member

I have a short of list of programs that run better with Amon disabled: Trojan Hunter (live update & scanning) and JV16Powertools. My solution is to "turn" Amon off when using one of the programs and then turn it back on after I'm finished. Works for me. :D :D :D

I also use SpyBotS&D and have not noticed a "lag" when using it with Amon enabled. I'll test it with Amon disabled -- soon.

15. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Amon also needs to be disabled with Vopt Millenium edition (defragger), as this is intense disk access.

16. TonyKlein

Funnily, in Windows 98 neither SpyBot nor my printer have a problem with Amon.

In XP they do.

17. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Did you say XP ?........ ;)

18. TonyKlein

I think I did :D

I like it a lot though.

Although Win 98SE is very fast on my machine, XP is even better, and I particularly like the way it handles system resources.

It just doesn't run out.

19. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Hey one more thought

Porblem with Power tools and some other apps ist their packed exe. I found amon taking a lot longer top check upx - pacekd exe than ASpack - so maybe the guy from powertools could look into that as well :)--))

Not so many problems on win2k

Ruben

20. controler

controler Guest

I just posted an artical last night about how MS is going to make it's OS a safe and secure place even if it means breaking other software. MS says it will be up to the individual to get their other software fixed.
    SO to sum it up...

MS is saying you MUST use Windows compatiable software or stop using Windows.
    Does that about SUM it up there Mickey ? LOL

21. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I use Xp home also(home version).I do notice that disabling Amon when I run TDS-3 improves the scanning speed of TDS-3.I haven't noticed much of a difference regarding Spybot.I haven't checked how disabling Amon effects jv16 Power Tools yet.I'll have to try try that today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.