Easy way to Block your Ip address

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by the mul, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Can anyone tell me what is the easiest way to block your Ip address.
    When u go onto sites like www. grc.com, they can tell u your Ip address, I was wondering is there a programme or some waY of stopping sites or anyone from telling u what your address is.

THE MUL

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Jackfox

Jackfox Guest

Remote proxies.

Simple isn't it. :)

4. justicemaker

justicemaker Guest

The problem with services like Anonymizer or Jap is they slow your internet connection wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down. So if your using Dsl or cable, expect it to slow down to slower than a dialup connection. And don't even think about downloading through it, unless you've got a few years to spare. I just don't trust using remote proxies.

5. the mul

This is what is putting me of trying these services, as I dont want my 1mb connection speed reduced to a snails pace. :(
    I dare say there are exceptions out there, where people will say that the speed reduction is not that bad, maybe only at peak times.
    I have thought about this whole issue and for the few hours a day that I manage to get to surf online, Is It worth using Anonymizer or Jap.

Your friend

THE MUL

6. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

There are two ways to hide your IP address:

1. Refuse to answer replies (pretty pointless)
    2. Use a proxy even though it slows your connection

No other choice. Sorry.

7. steverio

steverio Registered Member

I concur with the view that anonymizer type services do slow connection speeds down. I've tried some of these services on dialup and need not say how slow connection speed creeps along. I would like to see other methods that can produce similar results without dramatic speed loss.

8. the mul

Can u tell me do u use a proxy and what one do u use if any.
    Do u find the speed reduction good or bad.

THE MUL

9. justicemaker

justicemaker Guest

The only way to truly tell if they're worth using is to try them for yourself. Then you'll know how well they work for you and with Jap being free you can download it and give it a try. Anonymizer is mainly a pay service, but have a free limited service too. You could just use them when you feel an increased need for privacy.

10. the mul

Can u tell me have u found when using Jap any compatability issues with any other programmes installed and does It work ok with service pack 2 installed.

Your friend

THE MUL

11. steverio

steverio Registered Member

I don't use any proxy service at all. My connection speed slows down too much.

12. justicemaker

justicemaker Guest

Hi The Mul

I use Jap with many other programs (NAV, NPF, SSM, WinPatrol, Firefox, Pest Patrol, Tea Timer, and many others) with absolutely no confilcts of any kind and have never had any conflicts. But i'm am still using Windows me, so i can't comment on sp2 yet. But there are people around here who do you Jap with xp (sp2?) so hopefully they'll check in soon.

13. the mul

Many thanks for all your help and good advise.
    I dare say in time we will here from somebody If service pack 2 Is an issue or not, but most likely It will be ok, but u never no I suppose.
    I will be looking into trying Jap and see what happens, but I am not willing to sacrifice my connection speed and revert back to a snails pace, as I lived with dial up for a long time and I am enjoying the speed which I have only had for 3 weeks.

Your friend

THE MUL ;)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  14. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi the Mul,

Anonymizer, while not free, does work with SP2. It is pretty simple to use as well. And yes it does slow you down, but that is the trade off.

15. the mul

Thanks devinco for your advise, would u say the drop in speed is more than 20 or 30 percent and does It depend what time of day It is as to the speed reduction.

THE MUL

16. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

Has anyone tried Ghostsurf by tenebril? It claims to anonymize and has an encrypted connection between you and your isp. Only one off payment and no subs charge

I used this at a friends who has cable. It slowed things down a bit, but nothing like a dialup

jag

17. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I didn't do a thorough test. I just tested once at PC Pitstop. There was a 7% drop in download speed. But it probably will appear to be more of a drop in speed due to the lag time response of the proxy computer. It is a similar problem that satellite users have. You click a link and wait for the proxy to respond, find the website, return the reply, etc. I tried the satellite speed test, but it didn't work with the proxy.
    Don't know how to accurately measure speed to take the lag time into acount.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  18. justicemaker

justicemaker Guest

Hi Jag1967

Is there any type of trial or way to test the software before purchase, or are we just supposed to believe everything they say on the website? Looks like it might be worth a trial run. http://www.tenebril.com/products

19. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi The Mul

There is also Megaproxy it doesn't seem slowdown as much as Anonymizer (used to be a costumer), anyway just a suggestion. :)

Regards

20. Jack D. Browser

Jack D. Browser Registered Member

Philly, PA, U.S.A. & Tangier, Morocco, Africa
    Yes, I've been using Ghost Surf for close to a year, and it does slow down my broadband speed, from barely noticable to real slow, depending on many variables, like how many anonymous hubs you choose to route through, time of day, how much blocking you want, etc., etc. The program is very configurable, with so many different things you can set, if for one web site or many, patial blocking or total blocking, however, this is also it's great fault, because after almost a year, I have yet to figure out everything you can set it up to do! If you like tweaking things, this will certainly fill your need for quite some time. Also, it does work to completely block everything sent from your PC, and one quickly learns if everything is completely blocked, then, you won't be able to access most web sites, ergo the custom settings, and the ability to customize it for each and every site you visit if need be. In conclusion, it works well if you can devote enough time to learn how to use all of it's setting's, then, if you so choose, tweak the settings of how you want to handle each web site you visit. That's the real slowdown! Does anyone know of other stand alone programs similar to Ghost Surf, but less complicated to use? Also, one final thing is that if you are only worried about showing your IP, then, take a trip to www.privacy.net and you might find out that you've got much more to worry about. Have fun!
    Regards to all, Jack D. Browser

21. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Ghostsurf does not encrypt the connection between your PC and the proxy according to their Does GhostSurf use SSL encryption for all transmission? article so cannot offer protection against ISP monitoring. Tenebril suggest using other products (like Anonymizer) for this.

GhostSurf - like almost all the other proxy software out there - relies on public proxies which do not offer encrypted connections. Tenebril's product description does a good job of promising anonymity while not actually delivering it - which I suppose is to be expected from a company trying to sell a memory optimizer (the Windows' equivalent of snake oil - note especially their carefully worded explanations on Does Memory Boost Help on Powerful Computers? and What are System Resources, underplaying the removal of this limitation on Windows 2000/XP).

22. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

Hi Paranoid, agree about some of the snakeoil products that tenebril sell

Though the article you link to about ghostsurf may be out of date, as the newish pro version claims to encrypt too
    http://www.tenebril.com/products/ghostsurf/pcc.html

Also, ghostsurf uses tenebrils own anon hubs accorrding to
    http://www.tenebril.com/kb/showitem.php?faq_id=7
    How/why would you trust them??

Jack D Browser, the new version is a lot more simpler to use from what i recall of the old version, and actually less configurable regarding choosing no. of hubs etc. Having said that, using anon connections can be a real hassle as you point out. And depending on someone's surfing habits, the trade off to anonymise is often not worth the hassle, IMHO.

Justicemaker, AFAIK, you can trial their products.

It would be interesting to hear of any other user experiences and opinions of Ghostsurf

jag

23. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Anyone uses/heard of/know this one:

Tor is a connection-based low-latency anonymous communication system that protects TCP streams: web browsing, instant messaging, irc, ssh, etc:

http://www.freehaven.net/tor/

Gerard

24. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

As I said, they do a good job of promising without delivering - the only time connections are encrypted end-to-end is when you connect to a secure (https) website. Such connections would be encrypted anyway without GhostSurf - normal website connections are however not encrypted according to their own FAQ.
    The phrase "anonymous proxy" tends to be used for proxy servers that do not forward your real IP address to websites. Again, Tenebril are suggesting you are completely anonymous when, according to their own documentation, you are not.

If anyone is running GhostSurf, they can easily check this by first seeing what sort of connection it is making to the first hub. If it is HTTP (rather than HTTPS or another protocol) then it is almost certainly not encrypted - it won't be if going to a public proxy. For further confirmation, use software like Port Explorer's Socket Spy facility to check what is being sent out to the proxy - if you can find a URL in there, then it is not being encrypted (and could be logged by your ISP).

25. A Visitor

A Visitor Guest

Has anyone tried www.unipeak.com ?
    Seems useful,and they actually answered an e-mail query! No use to hide from your ISP,but from there on(they say) all is encrypted,making you invisible out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.