How to create bootable rescue DVD(s):

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wdormann, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lo2301

lo2301 Guest

I forgot to say : i followed the procedure of menorcaman (i mean without cdshell). Should I try yours ?

I'm currently reading the user manual of cdshell to see what it could offer me ...

Thanks

Laurent

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Are you sure you're using the Full version of the rescue CD, as described here?

3. lo2301

lo2301 Guest

No I used the safe option ... Because the full one didn't work (I explained above). I made it from the build #800 of ATI Server for Windows. With the safe option, it doesn't get stuck but the drive (from which I booted from) doesn't appear in acronis explorer. If I make a 'full boot' rescue CD and test the CD. It even doesn't boot from it ...
    Should I retry to make the 'full boot' DVD (It's erased now because I always write to the same DVD-RW) ? This takes me a lot of time ... I'd prefer to make the tests on the rescue CD.

Thanks

Laurent

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Laurent,

Going by the information provided in your posts #95 and #96 you appear unable to boot from a normal "Full" version of the Acronis boot rescue CD.

You also say that you can boot from a "Safe" version of the Acronis boot rescue CD but then cannot detect the images on your DVD. Depending on your specific hardware, the "Safe" rescue CD may or may not detect USB, PC Card or SCSI devices. Does that mean you're using an external USB CD/DVD? If so then it's a good bet that a Linux device driver problem is preventing TI from booting from the "Full" Acronis boot rescue CD. I suggest you contact support@acronis.com as per instructions in the forum sticky titled <PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST> and see if they can help you solve the problem.

Until Acronis/you find a way of booting TI from the "Full" version Acronis rescue CD you will never be able to successfully boot from your bootable rescue DVD.

Regards

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  5. lo2301

lo2301 Guest

Hi, Menorcaman,

I agree with everything you wrote ... Except that my drive is an internal one (I have a laptop, I don't know if it matters). I burn the dvd on an external drive but boot from the internal one.

Thanks for your help. I'll try to finish the job myself.

Bye and keep up the good work !

Laurent

6. wdormann

Well, the F11 option described in the link I gave you only works with the Full version of the rescue CD. So make sure you're using that.

7. Menorcaman

Hi there wdormann,

Well spotted!! I had missed that point.

Just goes to show that two heads are often better than one ;)

Kind regards
    Tom

8. lo2301

lo2301 Guest

to wdormann and Menorcaman :

I guessed that ;-) ... But as I told you the full boot option doesn't work (it doesn't boot) on my laptop (even with internal drive). So we are turning around the problem ...

Regards,

Laurent

9. Menorcaman

Hi laurent,

I'm still not 100% certain that you managed to enter the Linux command line prompt whilst booting from the Full rescue CD. I appreciate you can't fully boot into TI from this CD but going by one of your previous post you should have been able to access the Linux kernal by pressing F11 when you see the "Starting Acronis loader.." message. I quote from the Acronis Support Sticky:

You need to be pretty quick with the F11 key otherwise you might miss the "catch" point. Once you reach the command line you'll see that the word quite is already there so you only need to add acpi=off noapic. Be careful how you spell noapic - it's easy to make a mistake and spell it as noacpi !!

Regards

10. lo2301

lo2301 Guest

Hi Menorcaman,

Actually, with the boot rescue cd with 'full option', I couldn't see anything telling me that the pc was trying to boot from the cd (not even "Starting Acronis Loader ..."). So like a non bootable disk. I had also problems before upgrading to build #800 with the bootable dvd (with bcdw) : In this case, I could see "Starting Acronis Loader ..." but it didn't go further (with the 'safe option', I could see the acronis interface but not my internal cd/dvd drive. And of course, like you pointed it a few posts before, pressing f11 didn't do anything...

But I just retried (with just 1 tib file for test purpose) with build #800 of TI and now, it seems to work ! I see the acronis interface and my internal cd/dvd drive ... One strange thing is that I tried exactly the same just before ... It didn't work and stucked my laptop ! I couldn't eject the dvd and couldn't even turn off the laptop by pressing the power key either. I had to let the battery consume itself till its end ...

After complete power off of the laptop, replugging of the ac adaptor and reboot, it worked as explained above !

So, I don't know if I'm completly schyzo or if there are supernaturals phenomenas happening here ? I'm reburning a dvd with the complete set of tib files and the same boot information ... We'll see what it gives ... And I'll tell you ! promissed ! ;)

11. lo2301

lo2301 Guest

Hi wdormann and menorcaman,

I dit it ! After reburn of the complete dvd. I could boot from it and restore successfully my hard drive.
    The solution was perhaps to update acronis ti to build #800 ...

Thank you very much for your help anyway and as i already told you before ... Keep up the good work, you are very useful !

Best regards.

Laurent

12. Menorcaman

Hi Laurent,

Pleased to hear it all worked out well in the end. Happy TI imaging :) .

Regards

13. MageJubi

MageJubi Guest

I had good luck using UltraIso...I put in the Acronis rescue cd...a folder and readme.txt file shows up in the bottom pane of UltraIso...go up to "bootable" then click "extract boot file"...it'll be a .bif file something like "mycd.bif"...save it to where you want--then drag it into the top pane in UltraIso...drag the Recovery folder and readme.txt up to the top pane from the bottom one...Drag your image.tib file to the top pane--I found no problem with size...Important! Before you save your compilation, be sure to right click on your .bif file and set it as the boot file!!...I saved the image as Acronis.nrg (.nrg for Nero)...UltraIso has already made the image bootable, so when you click it, Nero pops up ready to burn (check to make sure it's set for DVD)--click burn and your done......I tried it out--no problems at all...it boots into Acronis, where I then direct it to my image file...flawless restoration.

14. SOcRatEs

SOcRatEs Guest

Re: How to create bootable rescue DVD(s): Ultraiso

Hello all!!
    Man you guys are incredible!!!!
    I've traced about 1 1/2 years you put into this boot recovery system..
    I for one thank you because it led to ultra iso "Ver. uiso75me" solution.
    The only thing I do differntly;
    once i pulled the boot image off (acronis.bif)..
    I started a bootable iso project in ultraiso and loaded the boot image.
    ..you need not add this to the iso image.. then added TI image [file size: 2,277,891]. Then allowed ultra iso to create the iso and then burned it to DVD.
    The only draw back that occures to me is you cannot update the TI image. :(
    How ever on my 4x dvd burner using "ultra/TI "I am able to create a series of dvd's for very large TI images.
    I will be recomending these tow products to my customers!!!
    in fact if I sell it right they'd be foolish not to see the beauty of it.
    Thank you once again for all your friendly hard work!!!
    SOx

15. nolonemo

nolonemo Registered Member

DVD boots, but DVD drive not seen as .tib location

I have created the Boot DVD successfully, and Acronis will boot up with it, but when I go to restore the image, only hard drives are shown as possible locations for the image. My DVD drive doesn't show up at all.

This is with the boot files taken from the Safe Boot CD (my computer hangs on the full Boot CD).

Also, the .tib file on the DVD is 1.78GB.

Don't know if either of these have anything to do with it...

Thanks for any help.

16. Menorcaman

Hello nolonemo,

The size of your .tib file has no bearing on this particulare problem. In anycase, at 1.78GB, it's within the ISO 9660 maximum file size limit of 2000MB.

Does TI detect your DVD drive correctly after booting from the Safe version of the Acronis rescue CD?

Regards

17. Menorcaman

Seems that some of you guys out there use UltraISO instead of WinISO. So, if anyone is interested, here are step-by-step instructions on how to proceed (Note – you will need to have some form of CD/DVD recording software installed):

1. Create a folder on your backup drive or partition e.g. D:\TIbootDVD plus three sub-folders e.g. D:\TIbootDVD\Bif, D:\TIbootDVD\ISO and D:\TIbootDVD\SRM

2. Backup your system to the D:\TIbootDVD folder, specifying a split image size of 1480 MB (unless you also want to copy the .tib files to CD, in which case use a split size of 635 MB). Verify the image file using TI’s Check Image Wizard.

3. Insert the latest working version of your TI boot rescue CD into your CD/DVD burner and copy the Recovery Manager folder and the readme.txt file into the D:\TIbootDVD\SRM folder.

4. Install and run <UltraISO>.

5. Click on UltraISO’s “Bootable” menu item and select “Extract Boot File from CD/DVD”. In the “Extract Boot Image” dialogue window set the CD/DVD drive letter to that of the burner containing the boot rescue CD. Use the browse button or enter “Output FileName:” and destination directly e.g. D:\TIbootDVD\Bif\TIbld826.bif and then click on “Make”. Once the boot file is extracted to the D:\TIbootDVD\Bif folder, exit the “Extract Boot Image” dialogue via the “Return” button. Note that if you subsequently create a newer TI boot rescue CD then you’ll need to create a corresponding new TIbld826.bif file.

6. Remove the TI boot rescue CD from your burner and insert a blank DVD R or RW.

7. From UltraISO’s “File” menu item select “Properties” and set the “File System” tab options as per Screenshot 1 below. On the “Label” tab, rename the DVD volume to something meaningful e.g. BootDVD and then click “OK”. In UltraISO’s lower “Local:” window, browse to your D:\TIbootDVD folder and drag-and-drop up to a maximum of three (or seven if using 635 MB file size) Acronis .tib files into the upper “Image:” window. Also drag-and-drop the TIbld826.bif file from the D:\TIbootDVD\Bif folder into the upper window.

8. If you want to include the functionality of the Startup Recovery Manager/Secure Zone then drag-and-drop the Recovery Manager folder and readme.txt from the D:\TIbootDVD\SRM folder to the upper window, otherwise ignore this step.

9. UltraISO’s upper “Image:” window should now contain the files and folder shown in Screenshot 2.

10. In UltraISO’s upper window, right click on TIbld826.bif and select “Set Boot File”.

11. From the “Tools” menu item select “Burn CD/DVD Image” and at the “File Changed, Save it” prompt click the “Yes” button. In the “ISO File Save As” dialogue window browse to the D:\TIbootDVD\ISO folder, enter a suitable file name e.g. BootDVD.iso and save it as a Standard ISO File.

12. After the BootDVD.iso file has been saved, UltraISO should hook into your CD/DVD burning software’s ATAPI driver and open the “Burn Image” dialogue window. Set the options as per Screenshot 3 and then click the “Burn” button. I strongly recommend you set the write speed to somewhere around half the maximum of your recorder/DVD media in order to improve the reliability of the burn. If for some reason UltraISO couldn’t hook into your ATAPI driver then, at Step 10, select “Make CD/DVD Image”, save the ISO image to the D:\TIbootDVD\ISO folder and use your normal CD/DVD burning software to burn the BootDVD.iso file to DVD.

13. If your image spans two or more DVDs then burn the remaining .tib files (up to three or seven, depending on split file size, per DVD) as normal ISO compilations via your usual CD/DVD burning software.

14. Boot from the BootDVD disk and you should end up in the True Image (Linux based) GUI. Use the Check Image Wizard to verify the integrity of the image on the DVD(s) and, fingers crossed, all will be well.

Apologies if the above instructions appear to teach granny how to suck eggs but hopefully someone will find them useful.

Regards

Tom (a.k.a. Menorcaman)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  18. S?ul

S?ul Registered Member

Acronis Support Team,

I vote that this thread be made a Sticky. With all of the work that Menorcamen put into it, especially with the very helpful screenshots, it deserves Sticky status. And, as you can see, many users are getting vital information from this topic. Good job Menorcamen! :cool:

19. Don544

Don544 Registered Member

o_O If you overpaid good money for this product would you not expect to not have to jump through :mad: hoops to use modern metods of computing , like jump drives ,dvds, secure digital etc.
    are they ever going to join the real world

20. wdormann

Don544:

Please leave this forum for those who are asking for, or providing assistance. You obviously fall into neither of these categories.

21. Menorcaman

Hi Søul,

Thank's for your kind words; makes the effort involved worthwhile. However, due credit and respect must also be given to Will Dormann who started this thread. He was the first to crack what others had been trying to do for some time and I merely followed his lead. So - good job too wdormann! :cool:.

As for your point about making it a Sticky, wdormann and I contacted the Wilders Forum Administrator in September last year. See LowWaterMark's response at <Page 1, Post #19> of this thread. Unfortunately, so far, nothing has come of his idea for a "Highly Useful Thread" Sticky. Still, who knows, with some 16,650 views to date maybe there could be a change of heart :doubt:.

Regards

22. S?ul

S?ul Registered Member

^BUMP^
    Acronis Support Team...I'm bringing this thread to the top again because of all the questions being asked about this subject. And I'm going to ask this once again; please make this thread a sticky. It would only take a few minutes to remove any unnecessary posts within it, (like this one), if that's the reason for not doing it.
    Give me access to the Admin panel for 10 minutes and I'll do it for you. ;)

Søul

--17,525 views at the time of this post--

23. dee

dee Registered Member

Couldn't agree more with Soul's last bump. The info in this thread was solely responsible for my purchase of T.I.8.

Previously I had used Drive Image on my Win98 box, but I would have had to upgrade to use it on WinXP - & when I realised that D.I. had become a Symantec/Norton product, that was unacceptable to me. I despise Symantec products - personal opinion of course, but there are many others like me [ & I can justify my opinion too, but this isn't the place!]

Again I say - my purchase of T.I. 8 came about as a result of this thread.

24. vareniky

vareniky Guest

great job Menorcamen!
    I did it before but not as you suggested though I booted successfuly

25. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Søul,

I do understand your wish and I do realize that this thread is useful. However, I cannot make it sticky because the methods proposed here are not approved by Acronis. We cannot guarantee that the bootable DVD described here will work with all systems. Please note that all these instructions are not official, Acronis is not responsible for any consequences after you use methods described here, please use them at your own risk. Sticky threads contain only official information from Acronis or from other site (such as links to Microsoft Knowledge Base).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.