Uninstall

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by davidsherman, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidsherman

davidsherman Registered Member

How do I manually uninstall Acronis true image?

Every time I try to un-install true Image my machine crashes and creates a dump file? (Blue Screen of Death)

thanks

2. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

This probably will not work, as it sounds like a corrupt installation, but have you tried to uninstall it in safe mode? What OS?

3. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

What module is the crash in? The event viewer should tell you the specific details of the crash. You may also be able to use dumpchk.exe on your dump file to determine the cause of the crash.

Alternatively, if you don't necessarily care why it's crashing and just want to get it off of your system, you could try the Windows Installer Cleanup Tool. In a former life, I developed Windows Installer packages and I have found this tool useful to "undo" an installation. For example, when something about the uninstall process fails.

Note, however, that it will not remove the program files. Depending on how the ATI installer has been designed, it should remove most or all of the associated registry values. After which you should be able to safely remove the ATI program directory. You may have to manually remove the related ATI services, but I'm not sure.

4. rths

rths Registered Member

Why don't you reinstall the software and then uninstall. This usually works. :ninja:

5. davidsherman

OS - Windows XP service pack 2

I tried Windows Cleanup Utiluty and it hosed outlook 2003.

Why not- re-install and then un-install--

right now, I can't beleive that it will work. I tried to run a program AcronReport.exe and it crashed my machine.

6. wdormann

Well it sounds like you have hardware and/or driver problems. Post your event viewer log for the crash and/or dumpchk analysis.

7. davidsherman

Wehn i AcronisReport.exe. I run this file and my machine crashed.
    Error- Windows Shutdown
    System is attempting to access memory after it is freed.
    Thereis a system driver synchronization error

Stop 0x000000CC
    0x99B46F78
    0x00000001
    0x804D91B9
    0x00000000

There is no event activity in the system event log even though I requested it.

I cana't get the -k option to run to add that to this message.

8. wdormann

9. davidsherman

I tried Driver Verifier and it crashed my machine on reboot. Microsoft is aware of that crash.

So let me ask my question again, this way:

If I boot to Windows XP using a 3rd party program like Windows UBCD
    http://www.windowsubcd.com/, can I manual rename the following system files:
    snapman.sys
    tifsfilt.sys
    timntr.sys
    and reboot the machine?

what effect with this have on the reboot? Then can I manual delete all the directories for Acronis products? I have buned a CD of all the products that I own so I don't need the files any longer.

thanks

10. wdormann

Sure. But you could probably do the same in Safe Mode.
    You'll also probably want to remove the references to those files in your registry.

11. davidsherman

Failure again.

1 remove the 3 filename from the registry. Then I booted to XP running on CD and rename the 3 files. Then I rebooted and got a Stop 7B error.
    Which means to that True Image writes to the MBR and unless you can un-install they is no way to delete these files from Windows.

12. wdormann

You'll probably have to do a repair install of XP.

13. davidsherman

Right now, I am thinking of reformatting the hard drive and going a fresh install of XP.
    I never had any luck going a repair.

14. wdormann

While you're at it, you may want to consider testing some of your hardware. For example, check the RAM with memtest86 overnight. Also check your CPU temps with MBM5 or in the BIOS.

A BSOD should be pretty rare with a modern OS like WinXP. It's usually the indication of faulty hardware and/or drivers.

15. cleversod

cleversod Registered Member

why dont you do restore a backup?
    LOL
    John

16. davidsherman

A full image bachup would have the same problem that I have now.

17. spg

spg Registered Member

Acronis, PLEASE give us a manual uninstall process. EVERY time that I run 8.0.764, TI just hangs with "analyzing partitions" and kills my PC dead (XPsp2). Why the hell does the uninstall process have to analyse partitions? I just want the awful peice of "software" off my PC so that I can use a real imaging product, Ghost.

Removing the Ti fsfliter and mntr devices/services BSOD my PC on startup. Safe mode doesnt work because TI still tries to analyse partitions. Why for the love of god have you made it so hard to get this software off PCso_O

18. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello spg

Not sure whether it'll help but have a look at my earlier post here about purging TI out of the Windows XP Registry.

Regards

19. mareke

mareke Registered Member

I recently uninstalled Tue Image 8.0 using Add/Remove Programs and then to make sure all install files were gotten rid of I used Ashampoo Uninstaller which I had earlier used to monitor the Acronis True Image install. On rebooting I could not boot into Windows. Safe Mode didn't work and the only thing that saved me having to do a reinstall of Windows was Last Known Good Configuration. You should be able to uninstall a program without the operating system becoming unusable.

20. spg

spg Registered Member

Exactly, its like TI hijacks your PC so that you cant get it off - the ultimate spyware application really.

I have many many years of a Windows disaster recovery expert and this is one application that I cant get off without either killing windows dead or making it unbootable. Normally, you can just delete the registry keys for the services but that makes windows unbootable. The TIFSfilter, TIMNTR and the snapman services are the three that are installed but the moment you remove them and reboot - BANG, reboot.

I honestly have to say that TI is an AWFUL bit of software to uninstall. I see NO reason as to why I should have to reinstall an operating system just to remove TI . Why doesnt TI have a "safemode" uninstall where it just removes the drivers WITHOUT having to analyse all the partitions.

And as for "support" from Acronis - ZERO.

Pull your finger out Acronis.

21. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

I do not have this problem, but I took the time to create a possible solution. Disclamer: I take no responsibility for any problems this may cause or anything else for that matter. Use at your own risk!!!

First download "Total Uninstall", a very small freeware program from here: Total Uninstall

Next download this configuration file for uninstalling TrueImage 8 build 774 on Windows XP:
    Config File

Place the config file in the Total Uninstall directory which is under "Program Files".

Start Total Uninstall from it's icon on the desktop.

Select "Uninstall or View Changes ...".

You should see "ti" available to uninstall.

Highlight it and select "Next"

You'll get some error messages about removing files, but after you reboot, those files should be gone.

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  22. spg

spg Registered Member

I would be very careful when using that Total Uninstall file as it contains a lot of very machine specific values, such as your license code and hardware mappings.

23. spg

spg Registered Member

Ive removed all of the more dangerous modifications to your TU file. Using some of the changes, Ive managed to get TI uninstalled with all hopes of it never seeing any of my PCs or servers ever again - Welcome Ghost! (V2i from Powerquest that I beta tested from v1)

http://www.paullush.com/ti.tun

Make a system restore point and again, YOU USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK ! ! !

Pity, TI looked good but Ive wasted my money.

PS : Thanks :D

24. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Oh, no problem ... you're :) welcome. Good point on the key, please edit it out too and I'll do the same.

25. spg

spg Registered Member

Well, not all is as well as I thought.

After forcefully remove this pos, performance under HD Tach (on my 250gb IDE drive) has gone from 60mb/s-40mb/s to 3mb/sec! The Sata IDE RAID (Adaptec Integrated) hasnt been affected.

I absolutely dread having to reinstall this rubbish so as to "correctly" uninstall it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.