TI8 - Boot CD doesn't recognize media change?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wdormann, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

I've been trying to see if I can reproduce the problems described in Corrupted image woes with SP2, and I seem to be having an issue but I'm not sure if it is the same sort of thing that other people are seeing.

I'm working with a WinXP SP2 machine that exists as a virtual machine in VMWare.

I have created the image onto two CD-R discs. That process went fine. But when I go to restore the system from CD, that's where I'm running into some sort of problem. I boot from the Acronis rescue CD. When it comes up, I switch the disc with the last (second) image disc. I select the CD-RW drive and it shows the file "TestBackup2.tib" is there. It reads it and prompts me to insert the first CD. At this point I cannot continue. I click the button and the dialog remains there. (Indicating that ATI doesn't realize that I have inserted the first disc of the backup set)

Through further testing, I have come to the conclusion that the rescue CD environment isn't recognizing the fact that the media in the CD-RW drive has changed. For example, if I insert the first disc of the backup set, I see that "TestBackup1.tib" is there. If I select that and try to proceed I get an error saying that the image is corrupt. (Which is somewhat understandable, since it's not the last disc of the backup set, as requested)

But if I then change the CD in the drive to the last disc, it still shows "TestBackup1.tib" in the file manager. If I try to manually change the file name to "TestBackup2.tib", the "Next" button is greyed out and I cannot proceed.

So at this point I cannot restore a multi-CD backup by using the recovery disc. I have tried a CD-RW drive and two different DVD-RW drives, and in all three cases so far it is not recognizing the fact that the media has changed.

Is anybody else seeing this issue, or am I perhaps seeing some sort of VMWare quirk?

2. wdormann

Just some more info, with screenshots.

I tried enabling "Legacy emulation" for my CD device in VMWare, and I now see the "Corrupt Image" error:

http://dormcam.mine.nu:8080/ati8_corrupt.png

I disabled the Legacy Emulation, and the image and its contents is recognized fine. But the dialog where it prompts for disc 1 doesn't disappear, even when I have switched the discs:

http://dormcam.mine.nu:8080/ati8_disc1.png

Again, these could very well be VMWare quirks though.

3. wdormann

I have just tested this issue outside of VMWare, and it is indeed a VMWare problem. My regular PC does recognize the CD change just fine. (and the CD backup that I created of Windows XP SP2 verifies too)

4. jazmaan

jazmaan Registered Member

TI8 - Any Happy Campers?

It's easy to get the impression from this (or any other) software support forum, that a program is fraught with bugs and should be avoided until the bugs are all squashed. As we know, people with problems are much more likely to post while happy campers remain silent.

Just wondering, is ANYBODY out there having a problem-free experience with True Image 8 build 771? And more specifically to my own situation, is anybody using TI 8 build 771 to backup their C:drive to an external HD? Have you been able to restore?

Thanks

5. wdormann

jazmaan: Did you even read my post? I thought that I have pretty clearly indicated that the problem I was seeing was a VMWare bug.

But to answer your question, yes. ATI8 build771 works fine for me. I can backup to HD / NAS / USB2 HD, and restore from all of those without problems.

6. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

Yes I back up 4 partitions on a primary drive to a secondary HD (although not external like you asked) in my system and so far the thing has worked as advertised - this is using SZ and F11 rather than the boot disk.

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Re: TI8 - Any Happy Campers?

Can't speak for an external drive but I have no problem creating or restoring images of my active partition to/from my internal devices.

A feature that's been common throughout my experience with Versions 6.0, 7.0 & 8.0 is that TI has difficulty booting into rescue mode if my Conceptronic external USB 6-in-1 memory card reader/writer is connected. However, this is no big deal for me as I leave it unplugged until it's needed.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.