AVG 7 Free Edition Beta Available

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TAP, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Attached Files:

• 2.gif
      2.gif
      File size:
      39.4 KB
      Views:
  2. minacross

minacross Registered Member

I d'l it yesterday but till now I still use AVG6 Free. Could I install it with the free ver.6 or I have to uninstall it first? :rolleyes:

3. zorrozorrito

zorrozorrito Guest

Hi all! what is new in this antivirus? It would be good to know it! could it be better now than eTrust 7.0.139 promotional version? database updates are goning to be every day or only the software is going to update?
    if somebody knows that It would be good to know it.
    thanks

4. minacross

I this normal? o_O the task bar icon is dimmed but the resident protection is fully functional. this is strange indeed :rolleyes:
    Edit: fixed by ativating email scanner.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  5. minacross

on the page mentioned in TAP's post u'll find a link to this page:
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/17/lng/us/tpl/v5

6. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

That nastie bit of software ripped out a system file i needed and i had to get a repairman out just to boot it up from something as hp had pre-enstalled software? that cost me 40bucks!! i wouldnt go near avg !! get what ya pay for just being honest maddawgz :-* shouldn't have played with it?..and left my pc-cillian 2004 alone!! JMO

7. Stephan123

Stephan123 Registered Member

its a very good antivirus for me

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It is a beta so be careful.

Very impressive additions they have made to the program. Email scanning for one.

A lot of program for free.

9. minacross

Win98SE users: did the installation create a program group at the start menu? It didn't in my case..
    also anyone know how to make the e-mail scanner work with mozilla/TB?

10. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

As much as I'd like to give this a try, I think it is too dangerous to experiment with a Beta anti-virus program on my main and fully secure computer.

I think this is a perfect example of when having a second "throw-away" computer could be put to good use testing this kind of new program.

Then any file loss mishaps or possibly worst still... actual security holes... would not be so costly, as a simple reformat of the testing station computer would be relatively simple and of little consequence.

But it will be interesting to see how this Beta goes in test and then maybe in a few weeks when all the inevitable bugs have been sorted, it may be well worth having a run out on the full working computer.

Thanks in advance to all Beta testers willing to give this a go at this time.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Screenshot.

Attached Files:

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

This new version of AVG 7 free looks exactally like expert antivirus that i ran two years ago it seems to have the same options. Back then expert antivirus was the same as AVG professional It is a little funny to me that they now bring the expert antivirus back with the AVG name. I will admit that EA won't run on xp.

Attached Files:

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

does the email scanner auto detect thunderbird?
    it says it should, but has it worked for anyone?

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I tested it today with Calypso and it appended their famous message to the bottom of the email. (if you want it)

I used AVG free in the past and wanted to see how they improved the options in this version.

It is light on the system.

For a free antivirus, it is impressive.

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

well if it detects thunderbird i'll try it, maybe when its released, if not before. i dont like it when you have an email scanner but cant use it because you need to go on a course to learn how to set it up.

16. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I decided I couldn't wait.

So I made a ghosted image of my drive... just in case... and made a restore point... and then I gave this new version a go... my curiousity got the better of me.

I like it a lot... really much better control center... very easy to get around once you get use to it... like any new program.

I like the scheduler very much and so easy to configure.

It also "seems" to allow my older ME system to be a bit "crisper" if that makes sense than Avast was... for some reason I was getting the odd system crash or two with that program... maybe my 400 Mhz processor was too slow for it.

Only one thing I've noticed... maybe it is normal or maybe it will be fixed in the release... when booting up... the tray icons take a few seconds longer to appear, then they seem to jump in all at once. Now I'm thinking this may be some sort of scan going on before the system is allowed to boot fully... not sure... but it doesn't crash and after this it works perfectly.

I like it... I really do.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't know what are they doing,but GriSofts service sucks.
    First i wanted to download a AVG6 for a small test. I got the mail with download link,but i never got the second mail with serial. So i couldn't even install the AVG6. I did the same for this *new* beta,got the mail with link and now i cannot even download it because i get stupid error that something is missing in the line bla bla in the row bla bla !?

18. bigc73542

I don't usually mess around with free antivirus programs but AVG 7 free installed flawlessly and setup is a cinch. The e-mail scanner works on my thunderbird after a little configuration. All in all it seems to be a pretty nice little program, free or not. I will use it as my on demand av. I ran the eicar tests on the e-mail because I wanted to make sure that it actually worked. It did.

bigc

19. bigc73542

I tested AVG 7 mail scanner on two of my pop3 accounts and it caught the eicar test string I just tried it on the pop3 that I use through my internet provider and the e-mail that I got from them was more impressive to me that AV detecting eicar. see screen shot

Attached Files:

20. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Hi,

After trying AVG 7 Free Edition Beta about a week all I can say is that " AVG 7 Free Edition Beta is pretty damn good " as a freebie and I have no problem with the beta version at all.

It runs smoothly, unobtrusively, no slow down at all. I seem to never notice any delay when large files/programs are opened/being scanned by AVG resident shield in real time, AVG resident shield is very very light on resources. AVG basic interface is clean and intuitive no cumbersome interface.

For me, the only drawback of AVG 7 Free Edition Beta is that it cannot be automatically updated when I get online like avast! home does.

So far so good, AVG 7 Free Edition Beta. :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  21. minacross

TAP, what Os are you using? did AVG installer create a program group at the startmenu? :rolleyes:

22. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Hi,

My OS is Windows XP Pro SP1 (SP2 conflicts my Bluetooth :doubt:), Celeron 1.7 GHz, 256 MB of RAM

Yes, it did as a pic enclosed.

Attached Files:

• 1.gif
      1.gif
      File size:
      5.6 KB
      Views:
  23. TAP

TAP Registered Member

I did some program stability test by did an on-demand scanning against some Zoo malware (old DOS viruses/win32:viruses/win32:worms/windows trojans) that each every single malware file was zipped as archive files, some of them were double/triple-zipped archive. It comes up with surprise !!!, AVG 7 Free Edition Beta doesn't crash at all and its scanning rates are fairly fast.

I notice that AVG 7 Free Edition Beta always tags so many many files as the following

- Could be infected ...
    - Suspicion: unknown virus ...
    - May be infected by unknown virus

It may be results of AVG's generic detection and heuristics analysis, I don't know how good of AVG's generic detection and heuristics analysis since most malware sample are old DOS viruses/win32:viruses and may be it is relative corrupted sample so this is not represent the real-world ability of AVG 7 Free Edition Beta when it comes to generic detection and heuristics analysis.

It would be good if these results happen to the real-world threats.

Attached Files:

• 2.gif
      2.gif
      File size:
      25.4 KB
      Views:
  24. bigc73542

It looks it would update on start up

Attached Files:

25. bigc73542

and here

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.