Shut NOD32 Control Center?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by optigrab, Nov 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Hi
    I've been using NOD32 for a couple of months and I love it. It almost works too well (makes the neurotic in me wonder if it's working at all).
    Here's my question:
    I've been attepting to create a backup image of my PC using an imaging program that runs from within Windows (I won't mention the name right now). Since I've been having difficulty with the sw, I've been trying to get it to work by shutting down as many other applications as possible (AMON, firewall, Boclean, etc.) But I still have NODCC in the system tray. Other than Windows Task Manager (W2K), is there a way to do this?

2. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

> I've been using NOD32 for a couple of months and I love it. It almost works too well (makes the neurotic in me wonder if it's working at all).

I'd say there's a fairly good chance that it's working. :eek:

> I've been attepting to create a backup image of my PC using an imaging program that runs from within Windows (I won't mention the name right now). Since I've been having difficulty with the sw, I've been trying to get it to work by shutting down as many other applications as possible (AMON, firewall, Boclean, etc.) But I still have NODCC in the system tray. Other than Windows Task Manager (W2K), is there a way to do this?

NOD32CC runs as a service on NT systems ... the "Quit" button is inoperative.

Killing the process in Task Manager _should_ be OK, but I wouldn't do this myself. Task Manager's "undesired results" warning is very understated imo.

I also wouldn't run an imaging program from Windows. I know the latest versions of a couple of them claim to do this successfully, but I still image our XP machines (FAT32) in DOS from a W98 startup floppy.

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hello and welcome to Wilder's optigrab! Hi rodzilla!

i can't comment on the imaging programs, but i wanted to mention about the effect i've had when shutting down NOD Control Centre through the Task Manager on XP-Home.

optigrab - whenever i've done that it shuts down ok, but i am unable to bring it back up through the Start Menu....i get the error message: NOD Control Center communication failed.....and the only way i can get NOD CC back in my systray is to do a reboot, then everything goes back to normal. So i don't do that anymore. LOL!

rodzilla - i wondered why NOD32 CC's "quit" button was available in my Win98se but not my XP-Home. Thank you for clearing that mystery up for me. :D

snap
    -------
    (fixed my typos)

4. JVasek

JVasek Registered Member

Hi Snapdragin / Optigrab

On XP Pro shutting down and restarting the NOD control center service is possible using 'services.msc' or administrative tools if you have sufficient rights. You do not need to reboot in between.

Not sure if XP Home works the same way but NT must allow this also.

Jan V

5. paladin1

paladin1 Guest

If the "Quit" button is greyed-out, and you want it functional, you will have to do an uninstall and then re-install of NOD32. At the screen where it asks for you to "check box" to run CC at startup, do not put a check in the box. After the install, etc.,
    any time you wish to run CC, just manually select it. Works great. (The support staff at ESET e-mailed this fix to me, when I had a similar problem.)

Good Luck,
    paladin1

6. Tired

Tired Registered Member

I just downloaded NOD32 trial and had these same questions.
    I really don't mind it running but [shouldn't I deactivate Amon and CC when installing new sw or upgrade/dating?u][/u]Other AV's I have used in the past have an easy way to temporarily disable and then enable which allows for easier installs etc....o_O??
    Thanks

7. Tired

Tired Registered Member

Can someone direct me to a place where I can learn more about posting and using these tools. I must look like an idiot..LOL!
    My attemp above to underline and then edit is obvious! Ha.
    Cheers.
    Tracy

8. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

You´re there already!! In case you need help just drop one of us an IM and we´ll be glad to help you out.

Regards,

Pieter

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The "Help" button at the top of each page will call up a new window with general information on how to use the YaBB board features. Specific help on posting in particular is located here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/YaBBHelp/posting.html

Just an FYI - the key to all the special codes that surround text that you want to modify in some manner is that every tag has an opening version, that immediately proceeds the text and a closing version that comes at the end of that text, which usually is the same command, but is proceeded with a slash. Check out that page. :)

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

10. Phil

Phil Registered Member

There is a way to be able to close NODCC at will on XP (and I would guess W2k) but would probably require an un/re install. It is actually my prefered method of handling the Control Center. On install you are given the option to *not* have it start at boot. That way you can run it as an "application" and open and close it with the CC GUI. I start the CC once a day, ckeck for an update, and close it down. It also eliminates having three icons running all the time. :cool:

Phil

11. Tired

Tired Registered Member

Thanks Low water mark!! That is exactly what I was looking for!

Cheers!
    (Tired) :DTracy

12. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi optigrab,

I use Startup Control panel and just unclick the entry for NOD control and reboot. NOD control will not start until I start it from the start menu. This is on a Win XP Pro and having NOD control running as a service. :D This way I only stop the NOD control when I want.

Loki :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.