Go away Norton AV 2004!!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mercurie, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures of the Wild(ers),

I am attempting to REMOVE Norton AV 2004 from my PC. I have turned off all the options in Norton. Then gone to ADD/Remove everytime (3 times in a row) I hit Remove system reboots. My understanding is this is the proper way to remove NAV 2004.
    My other machine had Norton AV 2004 90 day trial and I removed exact same way back in August and put Command on it. No problem. The only thing different is on this my machine that was done before SP2 was installed and on the machine above (1st paragragh) it is after SP2. I think it is there that the problem may be, but have no clue as to what to do.
    Also in an effort to possibly solve this problem I went to Security Panel and click change the way Security Center alerts me and unchecked Virus monitor. Did not work still rebooted. Norton still up and running. I do not want to pay NAV high fees for bloatware. Suggestionso_O?? o_O o_O

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Hm,go to my page (www.security-ops.tk) and download avast! External Control.
    Program is dedicated to avast! antivirus,but it has included feature to eradicate Norton Antivirus 2004 (Pro) from the system. You cannot miss it in the main tools selection menu :) Its fully automated. Then please report here :)

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures Blue and Rejzor,
    Both posts helped me. Thanks, heres how things went down:
    While backing up the registry it came to me. Symantec link said only use as last resort and it would take 30 minutes. It came to me maybe there is an uninstall on the CD. This was retail purchase not online. After registry backup. I poped in CD and browsed it. Not sure exactly what I did, but Uninstall popup window came up.

I did it using that. Success! :) Rejzor your link said I must get it uninstalled first use this tool to clean up junk. Tried it twice before I used CD. Only knocked out icon in system tray and then nothing. :( However, after uninstall with CD then using your External control eradicator. Whole lots of hard drive grinding and then I think reboot request too.

Then a little problem. Wanted to check Norton Ghost due to warning at Symantec link about some keys or stuff being wiped out that would cause other Norton stuff to fail. :( Sure enough Norton Ghost 2003 unable to start. Put in Ghost CD to repair, not successful even though it said it did. Looks like only tutorials and empty shell of a program.
    O. K. uninstall and reinstall. Live update it. Successful! Good to go!! :) Ghost a new image, due anyway. Worked fine.

Finally, install ETrust AV 2005 works just lovely sets itself up perfectly, no tweeking for newbies really needed. :D Thanks again I post all this detail to add to knowledge pool. Thanks again!! :-*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.