Peeping Tom webcam worm created by virus writers

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by the mul, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Virus writers have developed a 'Peeping Tom' worm that can use webcams to spy on computer users in their home or workplace, internet security watchers have warned.

The newly discovered Rbot-GR worm (W32/Rbot-GR) spreads via network shares, exploiting a number of Microsoft security vulnerabilities before installing a backdoor Trojan as it travels, security firm Sophos said.

The company added that, once the worm infects a computer, remote hackers can easily gain access to the information on the PC's hard drive and steal passwords, as well as spy on innocent users via their webcam and microphone.

"More and more hackers are interested in spying on the people they manage to infect with their worms and Trojan horses," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos, in a statement.

"In the workplace, this worm opens up the possibilities of industrial espionage. At home it is equivalent to a Peeping Tom who invades your privacy by peering through your curtains.

"If your computer is infected and you have a webcam plugged in, then everything you do in front of the computer can be seen, and everything you say can be recorded."

According to Sophos, the W32/Rbot-GR worm is evidence of a growing trend of malware spying on innocent home computer owners and poorly protected businesses.

"With many home users keeping poorly defended PCs in their bedroom, there is considerable potential for abuse," added Cluley.

"The message is simple: keep your PC protected against the latest threats with antivirus software and firewalls, and if in any doubt unplug your webcam when you're not using it."

More information on the worm and instructions on how to remove it are available from Sophos here.

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32rbotgr.html

The mul

2. Mystique

Mystique Registered Member

Thank you for sharing this.

I keep my webcam plugged in most of the times (for ease of use more than anything else) even when not using it although I can't say that I haven't thought about that above virus coming into reality.

Gosh, the extremes some people are willing to go to, to spy on you is incomprehensible.

Webcam unplugged from now on.

Thanks.

3. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Yes, I for one would go with unplugging It, but I know what u mean, by It is easier to leave It plugged in.
    The chances of being infected are probably small, but u never no, nothing is 100%.

Your friend

THE MUL

4. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Yeah... this is certainly pretty amazing, and one to be very aware of.

As it happens I always unplug my webcam... well actually I leave the webcam in the USB port, but remove the power supply transformer from the mains voltage because it tends to get quite warm, due to not being the correct transformer that came with the powered hub, but a slightly under-rated one that still provides the correct voltage to the hub... hence my not wishing to keep it permanently connected there.

But I was wondering about this now, and thinking... would it not be possible to use the webcam in this way... unless the program that is normally used with it... either MSN Messenger, or Yahoo Messenger etc. is running, or does this worm also have the ability to not need these running and therefore just having the webcam in and ready for use is all is required for someone to start viewing via it.

Anyway... whatever the actual situation regarding this... it is still very good to be aware of the possibility... thank you The Mul.

Mystique... I too... just like you... will keep it unplugged for now.

It's probably better this way... just for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.