Prevx is available ---- FREE

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luv2bsecure, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Prevx Home is now available as a free download. This follows a long beta period that has shown this to be a very useful tool. If it's anywhere close to their enterprise solutions - it's worth the download. I don't think anyone expected Privx Home to be free after the beta. Any long-term beta users of Prevx here at Wilders? I would like to hear what you think!

John

What is Prevx?

From the Prevx Home website:
    Protect your computer against the next Zero Day Internet Worm, Spyware Installation or Hacker attack.

An essential complement to existing signature based Anti Virus and Personal Firewall products, the Host Intrusion Prevention capabilities of Prevx Home are the only realistic defense against the latest breed of fast moving attacks.

Within the simple yet powerful user interface of Prevx Home reside multiple layers of dynamic security settings. These enable Prevx Home to catch and stop new, never before seen attacks at many points where they may attempt to compromise your machine.

'Two Click' Installation - Easy to download and install, get protected within minutes
    Simple Security Settings - Easily tune how you would like your copy of Prevx Home to behave when it finds something suspicious
    Internet Worm Protection - Protects your machine against the next fast moving Worm, without any need for you to update your system!
    Generic Protection - Maintain a high protection level at all times with this non-signature approach that requires no constant updating
    Spyware Installation Protection - An end to the invisible installation of all manner of malware whilst you browse the Web
    Hacker Protection - Defeats targeted hacking on your computer by blocking the most frequently used hack attack vectors
    Dynamic Security Setting Updates - Check for new or revised security settings for your operating system or the applications you use
    Intrusion Alerts - Instantly see details of any defeated intrusion and have the option to pass details on to the PREVX team
    Intuitive Interface - Access the product Preferences, Event Log and Security Settings options of Prevx Home and make changes to protection levels with easy to use controls
    Attack Log - Keeps a history of all defeated Intrusions for analysis at any time
    Low Overhead - Small disk and processor requirement gives powerful protection without significant performance overhead
    https://www.prevx.com/pressroom_homeOfficialLaunch.htm
    https://www.prevx.com/homeoffice/prevxhome/prevxhome.htm

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  2. chew

chew Registered Member

Finally ... I have downloaded the Prevx Home Edition Version 1.0 on Wednesday. So far so good. Love it. (I didn't try Beta btw)

What I have noticed.

1) Prevx alerts me about Javacool's MRU Blaster from time to time (at start up usually) ... saying that MRU Blaster is accessing Registry. I allowed it.

2) I need to "tick" Off when I do a virus scan or any scan at all. Prevx will not allow the scan if I Deny it. I ticked "allow" for the past two days to test the scan.

3) Installation was very simple. Just close all windows related apps ... that's all. The rest of the softwares like AV,AT etc., were on when Prevx was installed. No problem whatsoever.

4) Log ... very clear. It tells you what is doing what.

5) Use low resources? Well, not noticable ... everything is running smoothly.

6) Password protection ... you can set that to what you want.

So that's all I have noticed at the moment. I love it. Very user friendly. No problem whatsoever.

:)

3. luv2bsecure

Thanks for that! I have heard that the logging alone is worth using the program. I am getting ready to install. What a deal, btw. Hard to beat a free security application from a respected company like Prevx. Thanks for your review!

John
    Luv2BSecure

4. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Bit the Bullet and D/Ld Prevx......(Thought I'd live dangerously for a change) :) 7MB D/L... about 20 odd minutes on Dial-up...no problems so far...in fact looks pretty good, considering it appears to be a Freebie, (Not sure if maybe a Pro Version might suddenly require an upgrade) but so far so good......seems to be doing exactly what it says, so can't be bad....Thanks luv2bsecure......mind you, if it goes T+ts-up, I'll be round at your House :D :D :D :D :D

Yours Truly, Cochise, :cool:

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

This program is still in beta!

6. luv2bsecure

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  7. luv2bsecure

Well....well.....well.....not sure what to say! Oh...uh....I won't be around the house this weekend!! :) :) That's it.....won't be around....this....weekend. :ninja:

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

This is what I received after registering.

You are now registered and can download your copy of Prevx Home (Beta)
    software. Simply click on the link below to start the download process:

During the Beta program we will be making constant refinements to Prevx
    Home. Once installed, please update your copy regularly to benefit from
    the very latest developments.

Prevx Home (Beta) is currently available for Windows XP and Windows
    File size: 6.81 Mb

Once the download and installation process is completed, you will then
    need to reboot your PC to activate Prevx Home.

9. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

DO try and keep up Ron.......I mean, would luv2bsecure put us wrong? :D :D.......I've decided to believe everything I'm told from now on....my complete trust in this Forum is going to be my destiny....What's the worst that can happen...... :D :D :D :eek:

Cochise, :cool:

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm not pointing fingers here. :D Just strange they would call it a beta.

11. luv2bsecure

Ron,

You know, mine says the same thing. But, the program is not a beta. Obviously nobody thought to update phrasing of the email notification. You know the old line about the best laid plans? They'll be ticked when they realize they let that one by!

Have a good weekend, btw. :)

John
    Luv2BSecure

12. luv2bsecure

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Okay. Cochise, I will be expecting a full report. :D

14. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Luv2bsecure
    I clicked on download and got this message:prevx has detected you are running a non supported operating system.what does this mean?I didnt download it yet--want to know what the message meant first.sounds like a prog. i'd like to have.
    thanks
    rita

15. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I wonder how long before we start to see prevx users infected with spyware and trojans because they got fed up with it alerting them to the hijacker so they turned it off

I see it frequently when they have allowed a baddy through the firewall because they got annoyed at the pop up warning so they let it through

That's the big problemm with all the security software it still depends on the user actually using it

16. chew

chew Registered Member

luv2besecure

Are you sure it's version 1.1 ?

I downloaded on Wednesday and I got version 1.0.

So how do I upgrade to version 1.1? Any ideas?

Cheers

Chew

P/s: dvk01 ... you just have to keep Allowing them ... a bit of a hassle but I guess it will be fine in future when they put on more improvement.

17. Etsnuffy

Etsnuffy Registered Member

ritann, are you running XP or 2000? This a message from my email-

Prevx Home (Beta) is currently available for Windows XP and Windows

18. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi etsnuffy
    I'm running ME--i guess thats my problem,i didnt think until i read your post--thats it--thank you
    rita

19. chew

chew Registered Member

Ok ... just noticed something.

I clicked the Update 3 times to confirm it I could get to Version 1.1 but to no avail.

So I don't know if I have done it (update to version 1.1) correctly?

Then I reboot my PC and my AV was disable / hang. Anyone experience this?

This did not happen in my last few session.

20. luv2bsecure

Hi Ritaann.....ME is the problem.

Chew.....You are right, it's 1.0....working off build 2.1 ....from what I understand this is basically the same stable release since March. It's been stable as a rock according to a few who have been using it.

This is the first time I have seen this fancy new FLASH GUI....pretty nice.

Prevx has been HUGE in enterprise development of their intrusion protection system. I think this HOME version has the potential to be one of those must-have programs.

John
    Luv2BSecure

21. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

hmm, I've completed the application over an hour ago and still no email. o_O

22. chew

chew Registered Member

luv2bsecure

Thanks for the confirmation on Version 1.0.

Folks ... I noticed one "problem" ... just now while I kept Restarting my PC. (not Turn Off but Restart)

1) Restart - during Restart it temporarily shut down my AV for about 2-3 seconds.

2) During Restart I guess it will compete with other Anti-softwares for resources too.

The first time when I Restart to reboot my AV was disabled and hang. (with my old Webroot SpySweeper 2.6.1)

The 2nd time when I Restart to reboot my AV was disabled and hang for 2-3 seconds. Then it came back. (I disabled my SS 2.6.1)

Everything was alright after that. I disabled SS 2.6.1 because it's a programme I kept there really. Pervx works fine with Javacool's softwares so the rest are fine. The "traditional" greetings by Prevx on MRU Blastter was on just now as usual ... needed to allow it twice everytime when I started up / reboot.

23. luv2bsecure

I got my email immediately, wonder what's up?

I have noticed that the preferences can be changed only after you change the "Protection Level" from "maximum" to "user-defined"....you then have the ability to shut off/turn on whatever protection you want.

No problems with my AV......Did it hang on bootup? Trying to scan?

John

24. luv2bsecure

Just saw your reply!

I'm going to reboot a couple of times and see.

Changing the "user-defined" settings may help with being alerted so often. This is one to look at closely.

By the way, have you ever seen this "flash" interface?

25. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi all

I am pasting here an e-mail I received from Prevx Home Support yesterday

"We note from our records that you may have recently tried to upgrade your
    version of Prevx Home from Beta (v2.0.9.9) to Full Release (v 1.0).

Some of our customers have experienced an issue where the updated version
    downloads but then does not run. What this means is that your version of
    Prevx Home will not have updated, although it will still to continue to
    function and protect your machine.

If you have experienced this issue you simply need to run the installed
    file yourself on your machine. Firstly, quit the Prevx Home application by
    right-clicking the icon in the system tray or right-clicking on the title
    bar of the Management Console and selecting ‘Shutdown Prevx Home’. The
    default location of the file is C:\Program Files\PREVX\Prevx Home. The
    file is called ‘any_to_2.1.0.0.exe’. Double click on this file and it will
    run and update your version of Prevx Home to Full Release (v1.0). You will
    need to reboot your machine for the update to take effect.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you (...)"

I hoppe this helps clearing all doubts concerning Prevx latest available version, as well as solving updating problems.

Current Product Version: 1.0
    Current Build Version: 2.1.0.0

Prevx is running very smoothly here, no conflicts or problems. I also had no problems with the Beta version.

Regards

Rui

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.