Where is WG4? Is WG running in background? Newbie PE and TDS-3 Questions.

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Cyborg, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyborg

Cyborg Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I have just purchased WG as part of the package with TDS-3 and PE. All 3 programmes seem to have installed ok.

In the advert, prior to purchase it says something like includes auto update to WG4 and TDS-4 from version 3. When are these versions due to go live and will I have to uninstall and reinstall again? I know that I am using TDS-3, thats what the radius file says radius.td3. when I updated today.

I have enabled WG and made it active but have no idea what version it is; I assume WG3. Is WG only active when I have clicked on the start-up Icon or is it running all the time in the background?

To be honest I am not that good with software. I use TDS-3 to scan my PC. If it comes up with anything like for example a file I renamed ages ago to "cthelper.old" I just delete it. The only other bit I use is to check which Ports are open which normally is 25 and 110 which TD-3 closes and 135 and 445 which "Remain Silent," what ever that means.

With Port Explorer I use it to have a look at what other software or IP's come to life when I play a game or run a programme. Nothing more as I don't really know what to use it for. Why does "msmsgs.exe" keep starting up even though I kill the process? When I go to view Processes, Process 4 which just says "System" I cannot find more info on this. I assume its important :D the same as Process 0.

The way I am using the software, is this ok? A daily update and scan with TDS-3, a quick overview with PE and WG3 well I do not know what to do with it to be honest to get the best out of the software.

I also have TrojanHunter, Norton AntiVirus2003, SpyWareGuard, SpyWareBlaster, SpyBot Search n Destroy, Ad-Aware 6.0, all of which I run daily. I did have Pest Patrol but seeing as though it nearly commits suicide when it detects GameSpy after the recent updates so I have uninstalled it.

My FireWall is ZoneAlarm Pro.

With all this protection can I assume I am safe or is this pure fantasy to assume that you can ever be entirely safe?

I have been hacked once before by a "Friend" who I invited into my PC but who kindly left a Trojan behind as a farewell gift. Maybe I am now over protective and maybe I do not need all this software but reformatting hard drives and installing windows is something I do not want to do again if I can help it.

What are the views on System Restore On/Off?

Many questions, I know and maybe I should have posted in a different area of the Forums as it is not specific to one product but many.

Well its good to be back in the forums and I have I know received good advice in the past, here is hoping for some more aquired knowledge from those that know how.

Thanx in advance.

2. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Yes, you are running WormGuard 3 and TDS-3 and read this for TDS-4
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=26249 it is expected this year. but there is not exact release date set yet.
    When you installed WormGuard and tested it with "testprot.exe"which is in the same install directory it is active, and you don't have to see an icon or so.
    You'll see an popup when you start something that might be dangerous.

With all this protection can I assume I am safe or is this pure fantasy to assume that you can ever be entirely safe?

There are a lot of other things you can do, but i can advise you to install Process guard, this is the best Security tool you can add to your system.
    Read the faq, and try it. (btw i am only a customer like you here).

I also have TrojanHunter, Norton AntiVirus2003, SpyWareGuard, SpyWareBlaster, SpyBot Search n Destroy, Ad-Aware 6.0, all of which I run daily. I did have Pest Patrol but seeing as though it nearly commits suicide when it detects GameSpy after the recent updates so I have uninstalled it.

Near my personal opinion, Norton AntiVirus uses the much system resources,
    or with other words it has a to large impact on your system performance.
    Better try Kaspersky or Nod32
    Nothing wrong with the other tools !

The way I am using the software, is this ok? A daily update and scan with TDS-3, a quick overview with PE and WG3 well I do not know what to do with it to be honest to get the best out of the software.

Have you enabled "execution Protection" in TDS-3 ? and take care to set the right options, and do an full-scan on a regular basis.

What are the views on System Restore On/Off?

It is not a bad idea to use system restore regular,
    before installing new software etc.

An other thing is, that it might be a good idea to have a good backup tool,
    see the Acronis True Image forum here at Wilders.

Again, the best addition you can make to better protect your pc is installing ProcessGuard, read about it here, and ask others that known that product.

success,

3. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Cyborg,

I basically agree with tuarara.

You should perhaps upgrade to the new AdAware SE Plus (recommended for home user) or Pro to obtain Ad-Watch which is the memory resident monitor/blocker for spyware/malware/malicious cookies, etc. You increase your protection by blocking spyware/malware as it hits your system instead of finding it "after the fact" through an AdAware scan.

I recommend you upgrade to NAV 2005 to increase your protection over NAV 2003. There were significant improvements in NAV 2004 and more now with NAV 2005 in what NAV can detect and guard on your system. (I won't enter the debate on which anti-virus software is best or better.)

I totally concur that Process Guard is by far the best element that you can add to your system for protection. It, however, is not available for W95/98/ME.

I too have Pest Patrol and have uninstalled it because of unreliability/FPs. I am hopefully that as their new owners take root that this tool will stabilize and improve. It's always been a bit agressive; however, recently it has been intolerable.

You do not mention which OS you have. If you have XP-SP1, I recommend moving on up to SP2 in upcoming weeks. Although SP2's basic "fanfare" is the new firewall and you have your own, SP2 contains other improvements.

JMO. :D

4. Cyborg

Cyborg Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Thanx for helping out in this thread, I appreciate your time.

I have a problem and would like some help and perhaps this needs to be added to another forum; I will take any advice.

This morning when I turned my PC Norton Antivirus 2003 failed to run its Auto Update as per normal. I have clicked on LiveUpdate and the attachment is the error that has come up.

Out of the 3 lots of software I have installed which is likely to be the root cause of this problem; WG3. TDS-3, or PE?

I have "enabled" Execute Protection in TDS-3 as advised; there is alos the option to "remove." I do not think that I "enable protection" when using the trial version of TDS-3 and I have not had issues with Norton failing in LiveUpdate before.

As for WG3 , I have not had this programme before, I just took it as part of the 3 programme package. How does it work and could WG3 be responsible for my proble now?

I doubt that is could be Port Explorer.

Although I am being advised to reinstall Norton I did click on the link to their Tech Support page, this is what they advised:-

"Situation:
    When you click the LiveUpdate button in your Symantec product, you see one or more of the following messages:

"LiveUpdate failed to launch"
    "Unable to run LiveUpdate, LiveUpdate may have been uninstalled"
    "LiveUpdate tried to launch but was unsuccessfull, uninstall and reinstall ... (3003,103)"

Solution:
    This can happen if LiveUpdate is damaged. To fix this, delete the file Luinsdll.dll, and install the current version of LiveUpdate."

I did what they asked and deleted "Luinsdll.dll" and downloaded the executable version of that file and reinstalled it. I still cannot run LiveUpdate and get the same message coming up. I feel decidedly naked without Norton LiveUpdate and am concerned that uninstalling the programme and reinstalling is jusy going to add to a problem that is being caused one of the 3 installed software programmes from Wilders.

Can I have some feedback please or can I be pointed or directed to either Wilders Customer Service or another area within these forums.

I will sit here and fret and wait for a reply. :doubt:

Link to screen shot of Norton Error Report:-

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=46545

NB:- I have XP SP1 Home Edition. I have the option to go to SP2 buy after reading about various issues with games and software I have been reluctant to install it yet. I have the Microsoft Fear Factor and there is no cure or this.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  5. tuatara

Hi Cyborg,

First , i can't imagine that any one of the three items is causing this problem,
    (never saw that in simular situations)
    but is typical an error you might expect after you have installed more software .(then those 3) that are resident in memory/run in the background.
    The best way to test what is causing this, is to go "start" "run" and start
    "msconfig" there, in the last tab you can switch off what starts at startup of your system.

Set the item you expect to cause this off, and reboot,
    repeat this until live-update works again.

please let me know if you found anything.

BTW i would recommend to reboot before every new installation of a program,
    check if all works fine, run System Restore and MAKE a backup!
    And then after that install one (read 1) program.
    Reboot and check if all works fine, if so repeat (ALL) the steps above
    for the next programs to install.

This way, it is easier to detect a problem, make it clear what is causing this, and restore to the last working situation.

A reboot after an installation is the minimum you must do,
    again near my personal opinion.

Success,

6. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

you think wg 4 would be out because of how small it is

only thing i can think of is they made my whish list on wg 4 a reality then it would take some time lol

7. tuatara

Mr Blaze, happy to know what is causing DCS extra work, (You!)
    but now... i suspect you to always add to the MS wishlists too..

Because all announced releases of MS have a delay of YEARS!

How does it work your 'wishlist generator' tool?

:)

Cyborg now you know why we are waiting for WG4. :>)

Serious, if the new releases are out, you can read that here, in these forums,
    or you can subscribe to the DiamondCS newsletter.

In addition to the info in this thread about a new release of TDS...
    we (customers) expect to see a new version/release?
    of Process Guard within 2 weeks.

8. Moore

Moore Registered Member

Cyborg in regards to live update not working , I had the exact problem and reinstalling made no difference at all , but live update does work fine from the start - all programs link for Norton anti-virus.

And another work around posted here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12940

9. Ean

Ean Registered Member

Thank you all for the patience in these forums! I have just come along and put the WG I just downloaded on a Win98 machine with Norton AV 2004 already on it. It was a very clean machine (passed all spyware scans, etc.). After WG I could NOT get Updates to Norton to work, just as described by earlier posters here in 2003-2004. However, none of the workarounds are working for me either!

It is for SURE the install of WormGaurd that triggered this. I had no other changes. I know, I know, I can hear many out there thinking "upgrade from Win98", but it's a system my mother-in-law has and is happy with, etc. I just wanted to get WG on there if at all possible for extra protection.

Anyone worked this out for Win98??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.