Norton Firewall has messed up my system please help

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by AnthonyG, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi, I had Norton Firewall 2004 installed for a couple of hours but i did not like it and wanted to try another Firewall (switched to outpost best piece of software ever IMO) but when i have uninstalled Norton FW 2004, it has messed up my system, now i can not intstall any new programs or run certain programs already installed. Everytime i try i get this message

(see image below)

I have posted this before and someone gave me a link to a norton specific uninstaller but it has not fixed it. It is really getting annoying as i want to update to MS office 2003 for my Uni work but i cant install it (and ive just paid £100 for the student pack, looks like ive waisted my money)

Can someone please help to fix this .DLL virtual device problem as i will be eternally in your debt if you can.

Word of advice to everyone else, is never use any Norton productsas their useless (and the statistics prove it) there bloatware and when you try to unintsall them they ruin your computer.

Thanks I really appreciate your help

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2004
  2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Just a suggestion IF your comfortable within the registry....I would do a....Edit\Find....for S32Evnt1.dll in the area around the below reg key. If an entry is found....I would recommend exporting that entry for safe keeping and then delete that key....reboot and see if the error meessage or problem is solved. Some of what I just suggested is contained in the below Symantec link....which you may want to try first....if you haven't already.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

This Symantec link---> How to remove SymEvent manually from Windows NT/2000/XP

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If all else fails, reinstall norton firewall and then use the norton specific remover and see if that might solve your problem.

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

5. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

If your running XP why not do a system restore to a point before your problem.
    Gordon

6. SvS

SvS Security Expert

Download and install the latest version of the file sevinst.exe from

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/symevnt/symevnt.html

this will fix the error so you should able to use, install and repair applications without problems.

Do you still have any other Symantec applications installed? If not you may now try to remove the symevt files again, to do this

- locate the path to the sevinst.exe file you downloaded
    - choose "Run" from the start menu
    - enter the following command:

<path to sevinst.exe>\sevinst.exe /U /Q

This should uninstall the files and will hopefully solve your problem.

7. AnthonyG

Hi,

Ive downloaded sevinst.exe and tried to intall it but it says "symevent does not exist on this computer, no action taken"

What do i do to overcome this.

Thanks

8. SvS

SvS Security Expert

So this means no other Symantec product exists on your system I guess, since you intend to install Office 2003 I gather that you're either on Windows 2000 or XP.

You may try the following:

• Open Device Manager
    • on the View menu check the "Show hidden devices" entry
    • expand the newly appeared "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" section

If there is an entry named SymEvent in the list (probably shown dimmed) right-click it and select Uninstall from the resulting context menu.

9. AnthonyG

Thanks for your help, but ive done what you said and its not there in device manager.

What do i do

Thanks

10. SvS

SvS Security Expert

So there appears to be no other way and you'll have to try to edit the systems registry. The steps outlined in the document

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...88256ae7006885c4?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

were partly covered by Bubba's response and will hopefully end the problems you experience.

11. AnthonyG

Thanks for you help SvS, it is appreciated. But i am having one further problem and that is when i am trying to backup the registry to make changes i am folowing the adive in the Symentic topic but when i am going to

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools

There is no backup option there, i have attached an image for you to see my system tools group.

What do i do to backup my regestry without the backup option available.

Thanks

Attached Files:

• 111.JPG
      111.JPG
      File size:
      8.6 KB
      Views:
  12. SvS

SvS Security Expert

The information in the Symantec article refers to Win98/ME, on XP there is no such option to backup the registry (due to a different design and a different way changes to the systems registry are stored). Either you skip this step or, if you want to be on the safe side, use a third party utility to backup the registry. One option for XP would be Erunt 1.1f available from http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/index.htm.

13. AnthonyG

Thanks SvS, youve fixed it.

I am eternally in your debt for your amazing advice.

And believe me i will never make the same mistake of installing another norton product again.

Thanks
    Anthony

14. Just for the record: [A quote from Symantec's instructions on Backing up the Windows registry]:

The Backup utility is not included in a default installation of Windows XP Home Edition. If you do not see it when you follow step 1, read the Microsoft Knowledge Base article HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition, 302894.
    URL:[Unwrap long line!]

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302894

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.