DSO Exploit Spyware

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by ericb, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ericb

ericb Registered Member

Hi everyone! Despite having Spyblaster up-to-date, I keep finding DSO Exploit when scanning with Spybot. Any idea how to immunize my system? Cheers.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The issue regarding Spybot finding but not fixing DSO Exploit is actually a bug in the current version of Spybot (1.3), that is fixed in the new beta version (1.3.1) which should be finalized soon.

Basically, Spybot is identifying a specific security setting in Internet Explorer and reporting it as "DSO Exploit". Since Spybot does not "fix it" properly, people believe they are getting reinfected because each new Spybot scan turns up the same items again and again.

Microsoft patched the true DSO Exploit over 2 years ago, so any system that is current with Windows Updates (or that has even updated in the last year or more), is not vulnerable to this old exploit. There's more on this here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=41203

SpywareBlaster doesn't do anything about DSO Exploit because it is not a real "piece of spyware". It's just an old IE exploit that has been fixed for a long time.

3. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

I was wondering why that kept appearing with every run of Spybot!
    Thank you!!

John
    Luv2BSecure

4. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

5. DSO

DSO Guest

6. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Hey...
    the mcse.ms link has cross references to X10(63.211.210.0) - a known spyware/adware server. Am i right??
    Note: my firewall logging rules got messy, the ip could also be 64.85.92.0 - both are classified as X10, both have hostnames missing.

7. Rob Smith

Rob Smith Guest

Thankyou to all you guys, That dso exploit thing was driving me nuts for ages.....now its gone......Thanks all.........Rob

8. ace2_red

ace2_red Registered Member

I have found a fix for dso exploit which I have used to eleminate it from appearing each time I run Spybot
    after you run spybot and it shows dso exploit (5) items click on fix to get rid of them THEN
    go MODE at top then settings then Ignore Products and schroll down till you see dso exploits and then place a check mark there and the next time you run spybot you will receive
    congratulations/best to you all/ace :D

9. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I have dumped spybot now . I have noticed a steady decline and latest tests confirm that for me . I am more confident with software that is really into daily attention . The DSO exploit false positive has been happening to spybot now for over 3 or 4 months. There are millions out there who dont come to forums like this or DSL who would be real concerned and maybe screwed their systems some how over this . I am very happy with giant anti spy ware and would rather now put my donation into a yearly licence . Spybot may have served me well in the past but current tests seem to show it is really lagging.

10. muskrat26

muskrat26 Registered Member

I am in total agreement with you. I do find that Spybot takes in excess of 45 minutes to run, freezing at certain stages, and I can't run it in background. I also was going crazy trying to remove/immunise the DSO exploits and found the reason on this forum purely by chance.
    More interesting is how it did not pick up some very serious spyware that another program did, so until Spybot gets its act together, corrects the bugs and fixes some serious spyware it does not locate I won't run it again.

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I have also dumped Spybot, allthough it didn't take long to scan my computer it never found anything which the other spy-programs i have do.
    I think you're right solarpowered candle, the time have simply run out for the "once a month updating" spyware programs, nowadays you need "daily attention" as you put it. :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  12. Catskill

Catskill Guest

I got rid of it for good - I went to start-search- and searched for DSO Exploit and 5 zip files popped up. I just deleted them and I haven't seen them since!! I keep as up to date as possible on Spyware names and run a "search" on my own and delete those things myself. So far so good. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.