nod32.name?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by msanto, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I found a site (doing a google search for nod32), nod32.name that is selling licenses for NOD32. Is this site affiliated w/ them or a scam? I noticed it was one of the sponsored links on the RHS of the google results.

They have multi-year (2 year) licenses that are discounted from the normal price.

2 year = 58.50. nod32.com price, 1 year, 39

Also, on the nod32.com site they sell 5 licenses for 170. On the .name site you can buy multiple licenses from 2 - 25. And the 5 license amount is 152.

They also sell 2 year licenses for multiple licenses as well. A 2 year license for 5 PCs would be 228.

Finally, the renewal amount listed on that site is 23.40 (single) instead of 27.30 on nod32.com.

o_O

2. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

From their website they appear to be legitimate NOD resellers but only one of the NOD officials will be able to tell us for sure

As I understand it any NOD reseller can set his own price within reason for NOD

obviously NOD sell to him at a reasonable discount so he can make a profit and if he decides to make a less profit but sell more copies taht way and he is happy then I would have thought that it was OK

No doubt one of the other resellers will tell us if I'm wrong

3. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Ah, didn't realize that. Well, their prices are quite good, if they're for real. Although since NOD32.com does not appear to sell 2 year licenses I wonder how that works ...?

4. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Well, got this email from Eset:

Hi Michael,

That is a scam. The real website is: www.nod32.com
    With best regards,

Maros Mozola
    California, 92118
    USA
    e-mail: mozola@eset.com
    http://www.eset.com
    Phone: +1 619-437-7037
    Fax: +1 619-437-7045

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Nod sells two year licenses. I have one.
    Email sales@nod32.com and get a price for two years.

6. pollux

pollux Registered Member

I'm not too surprised to hear it's a scam. Here is what the site says about ordering:

http://nod32.name/NOD32_Antivirus.htm

In other words, you send them money and they contact ESET. Well, nothing on the site indicates that part 2 of that sequence will happen. Also, the link for downloading is already available for anyone to see. What ESET sends is the password that is required to register the program, as I understand it

(I'm still mooching off the beta, as it were. I'm trying to convince my partner, the one who likes to open all the email, that this is something we want to buy. In the end, I'll get it myself as a gift I suppose, but for now I'm trying to make it a communal kind of project...)

pollux
    [/font]

7. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

If they are a con, then their main site http://www.computech4u.net/main.htm seems remarkably well done with phone numbers, which is very unusual in a scam site

But if ESET say they ARE NOT authorised resellers then ESET are the ones who know

8. pollux

pollux Registered Member

This is actually really interesting to me. I looked at the main site and noticed (among other things) a logo stating "Starfield Secure Site." I've run into a question about Starfield and Firefox recently, in a thread in another forum (here). So, I'm predisposed to asking questions about Starfield.

Well, if you look at the information available from Starfield about this logo, you find the following information:

http://www.starfieldtech.com/secured_by.htm

Now, in Firefox, I did not see a padlock when looking at the www.computech4u.net main site. I've tried to import the CRL list; this has not had an effect. There were no "critical security warnings," and I'm in the dark as to how to verify the last criterium.

To clarify, I've accepted that the site is a scam. I'm just being interested in one of the site elements that make it look legitimate.

pollux

9. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I get a padlock in both IE & opera

The site warns that firefox won't work in it BUT I have seen comments on other forums that also say that firefox won't work with many secure sites including many major online banks

I don't dounbt the site is possibly a scam. It has enough probabilities to suggest it is, but there is just the slight possibility that the computech4u site is genuine and that they arfe NOD resellers, but I'm sure that we will soon find out from ESET

10. pollux

pollux Registered Member

Thanks for that info.

Didn't we already find this out, in the form of the email from ESET cited by msanto above?

11. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

No
    if it was just asked is nod32.name one of your official sites and then the US main distributor would automatically say no. But the main ESET office in Europe might have that company a s a reseller

And it's entirely possible that computertech4u is a legitimate authorised reseller and nod (US) don't know that computertech have created a website with the nod32.name url and only know about the computertech site reselling NOD

I think we ought to reserve judgement until ESET reply here (hopefully Tomorrow am) but take safe precautions and not use or recommend either of the 2 sites till then

12. pollux

pollux Registered Member

OK. It just goes to show that I don't know exactly who Marcos is (although I see that his address is in the USA).

If the site itself is also European or otherwise foreign (which would account for its unfamiliarity to the US offices), it is interesting that it does not offer the option of multiple languages. Most European sites do. It also does not propose sales in multiple currencies (i.e., the euro, the pound, etc).

Incidentally, I do get the padlock if I view a shopping cart at the computech4U site, for whatever that is worth.

In any case, I agree with your overall assessment, which is prudent.

pollux44

13. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Indeed they appear to be legit. If you go to the expense of setting up Secure Payment services as well as place in telephone numbers for contact, it all points to a legit site.

This is true, I sell at the RRP and if the customer wants us to install, charge for our labour to do such.

It is OK. It is exactly how it works, though profit margins are greater if you were to sell a product like Norton.

You are not wrong.

This is how it works, Eset are not sold through boxed product on the store shelf, they are mainly sold through resellers at the local level talking to customers that walk in to their shops…

This business may be a reseller through another distributor elsewhere in the world, there is no obligation to purchase from the USA. If they are in another country, they would be purchasing through a local distributor, local purchase for local support…

Hope this help…

Cheers :D

14. pollux

pollux Registered Member

My internet experience to date has led me to be quite skeptical, especially when anything is being sold. And I had the underlying interest in the Starfield certification aspect of the thing.

As it stands, it seems that we're still waiting for further information from ESET about this site, to confirm its appearance of legitimacy.

Did anyone other than me look at the computers that are being sold at that site? They seem to include MS Works but nothing is said about what version of Windows is included (if any?).

(BTW, as I mentioned in the other thread I referenced earlier, it is likely that I will be teaching an English as a Second Language class to marketing students in the coming semester, and I'm thinking we'll do a class project on how things are sold on the internet, including the more questionable techniques employed by some purveyors and also general issues of PC security and spyware/hijacks problems. I bring this up to account for my particular interest in this site. So thanks for the information about the reselling process, Blackspear :) )

pollux

15. Blackspear

My pleasure...

16. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Hmmm ... no response from Eset yet ...

17. Blackspear

Try sending a PM to Marcos or Bandicoot, both work for Eset in Europe.

18. msanto

msanto Registered Member

So far nothing there either. No response. Maybe they don't want us to get a lower price :D

19. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hello folks,

Well, as Blackspear mentioned, myself and Marcos are working for Eset here in Bratislava and we didn't know anything about this web site... but then we don't get out much so best not to read too much into that.

However, if Mr. Mozola says it's a scam.... then I'd say that's good enough for me. He's one of our top guys involved in sales and marketing (plus he's a top guy all round!) so I think he would know who our resellers are.

Bandicoot. :)

20. pollux

pollux Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, Bandicoot.

Hopefully it will be useful for Mr. Mozola to know about the site, just in case there are complaints in the future. (Something I hope will not happen! You all have more important things to deal with, I imagine :) )

pollux

21. Blackspear

Top of the morning to you Mr Coot,

Just a wee question if I may, would it be possible for one of the good people at Eset to simply order a license through this website, upon issue of a license, Eset will be able to tell which distributor they are purchasing through, or if proven to actually be a scam, take appropriate action to have the site closed...

Have you seen the FAQ section, they have gone to an awful lot of trouble to set the site up if it does indeed turn out to be a scam:

http://nod32.name/FAQ.htm

In the mean time I'll see if the website will respond to an inquiry :D

Cheers

Mr Spear ;)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  22. pollux

pollux Registered Member

Mr. Spear,

Have you looked at the bottom of that FAQ page? It states:
    "[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Copyright © 2004 NOD32.name All rights reserved."

However, the content seems to be a direct copy of the FAQ at the Eset site, http://www.nod32.com/scriptless/support/faq.htm . At the bottom of the Eset page there is also a copyright statement:
    [/font] "© Eset s. r. o. "

This just doesn't seem quite right. They both hold the copyright over the same material? I don't know about you, but the terms that come to my mind are "social engineering" and "phishing."

I continue to reserve final judgment in anticipation of further developments.

Regards,
    pollux

(What's up with everyone becoming Mr.'s all of a sudden, and who's Mr.
    Mozola anyway?)

23. Blackspear

I would suggest, copyright will be in regards to the website though not pertaining to anything actually copyright protected by Eset. As a reseller we are provided use of Eset logo etc for advertising purposes which include websites…

It’s a bit of running banter between Mr Coot and myself ;)

24. NOD32.name

NOD32.name Guest

Im flattered.

My name is Robert Lee Dunaway III
    I live at 6905 42nd Ave CT NW
    Gig Harbor WA 98335
    Phone : 253.851.6710

I own CompuTech4u.net and NOD32.name

Do a whois search .... mystery solved

I have been a reseller for ESET for about 8 months.
    I don't know where the confusion comes from but I have been ordering dozens and dozens (uhh....hundreds) of licenses from ESET using my reseller ID that was issued from ESET and then
    sending ESET quite large checks for the licenses being sold on my sites.

I have worked very hard on these sites .... I may have made a mistake on the
    renewal price.... OOPS.... oh well.... easy to fix. Every customer has gotten their licenses within a few hours of ordering (usually about 5 minutes), every customer has received physical products, every customer has received personal attention for any and all requests for help (even those who have not purchased the license from me)

Wow! Such attention lavished on me! I'm flattered!

This is not a scam. NOD32.name is a domain owned and operated by CompuTech4U.net. This has always been clearly stated at: http://nod32.name/Contact.htm As well as my phone number clearly stated.
    All transactions are clearly identified as being processed and handled by CompuTech4U.net. CompuTech4U.net is my tech consultant product and services site, NOD32.name is simply devoted exclusively to NOD32.

Starfield has verified me and has issued a SSL certificate..........months ago.
    Authorize.net and Advanced Merchant Solutions have authenticated my business and I am live and processing...........

Does ESET list all of its resellers? No. Why? Dont ask me.

I would be happy to produce any documentation you need.

Im really an honest and nice guy, just trying to work hard and sell a great product.

Thanks,
    Robert L Dunaway

25. Blackspear

I sent a email to the contact us address provided on the website, with the following question; “I have just checked with Eset, they are not aware that you are a official reseller, from which distributor are you purchasing licenses through?”

Robert Lee Dunaway III robertlee3@comcast.net replied to my question;

"…I have been a reseller for about 8 months… All of the licenses ordered have been ordered with my reseller ID issued by ESET…. CompuTech4U.net is my company NOD32.name is my domain that showcases NOD32. All transactions are processed by Computech4u.net accounts.

Sir ......... I have been in business for myself for 16.5 years. I do not lie, cheat or steal
    from anyone. I work hard and provide for my family.

Dont believe me? Order a license and see what kind of service you get. And how quickly you get your license.

Maros Mazola will be contacting you concerning my affiliation with ESET.

All of the people at ESET have been aware of my NOD32 site from day one, I sent it to them.

Need documents about my legitimate business? Happy to.......just ask."

So it appears as I suspected, that this is a legitimate site…

PS. thank you Robert for replying here, that was my next step to send you a link to this thread... Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.