Norton Ghost 9.0 ????

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Red Barchetta, Aug 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta Registered Member

I can't find enough details on Norton Ghost 9.0 to determine if it will Support SATA and or RAID 0. Does anyone know? Previous versions of both PowerQuest's Drive Image and Norton Ghost have had sporadic support (some people get it to work and others don't) In fact Norton's own WEB site states that Ghost 8.0 and below does not support RAID.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...sf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

I've got a feeling we are going to be waiting for quite some time for Disk Imaging technology to catch up with hardware advances. :'(

2. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

Why is this thread in the Acronis support forum?? I don't want to read about Norton ghost when I come here.

Tipton

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

True. This thread will probably be moved by the mods. You can download the manual for the yet to be released 9.0, maybe that will have the answer.

Acadia

EDIT: http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/ghost/ghost_9_info_man.html

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Thread moved to where it may get more attention than it would in the acronis forum==bigc

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Red,

Well I guess I have just been lucky. Even before ghost 2003 I was able to sucessfully image and restore partitions to and from PATA RAID 0. With Ghost 2003 after doing the live updates, I have had no problems either.
    Multiple hardware RAID systems. Another system was imaging a regular HD to RAID 1 PATA and restoring from the same. No problems.
    Yet another, the most complicated, no problems:
    SATA RAID 0 image to SATA RAID 1 connected to SATA-PATA adapters connected to PATA HDs. Restore from also no problems.
    It all works just fine for me. They probably say they don't support RAID because some controllers might cause issues they don't want to deal with.

If you have trouble with Ghost2003 and already tried the live updates, then Ghost might have a problem with your controller. One thing that concerns me is that 9.0 says it comes with Drive Image technology. In the past, I had very bad experiences with Drive Image (ver 1.x & 2.x) when it was owned by Power Quest. Others here swear by Drive Image 5. From the website, it seems like Ghost 9 is a hybrid of Drive Image and Ghost. I just hope they didn't screw it up in the process.
    They don't seem to offer a trial either :(

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

It's not out yet, perhaps they will have a trial once it's been released.

Acadia

7. Devinco

Thanks Acadia,

Missed that!

8. Devinco

Red,

One other thing. You aren't Over-Clocking are you? Even a very mild over clock can cause trouble with SATA. SATA is very timing sensitive and requires stability. Just a thought.

9. Red Barchetta

Devinco,

I'm actually using True Image 8.0.... What a mess! I guess they had a version of TI7 that supported SATA and RAID. Build 613 or something. However, they have lost the recipe from Build 627 and beyond for TI7 and all versions of TI8. I’m considering switching to Ghost (9.0) when it’s available. But don’t want to make the switch if it can’t restore to SATA RAID 0 (I have the Promise Fastrack 378 drivers.)

By the way, I’m not overclocking. I do appreciate your reply and thoughts. I’m willing to try anything to get this system imaged while it is still relatively pristine.

10. Red Barchetta

Acadia,

Thanks for the Link. I took a look and while it did not specifically mention SATA/RAID support it does give directions for loading SCSI/RAID drivers using F6 when booting from a rescue CD. This gives me some hope. :)

11. Devinco

Red,

I had the Fasttrack 100, Highpoint, Silicon Image, and Intel RAID controllers, not the 378, so I can't say with certainty that it would work.

Since you are dealing with RAID 0, you can't just swap out one of the drives(to test) or you will break the array. I assume you have 2 drives RAID 0 (OS partition and programs partition) and a third drive with data and backup images?

In this precarious situation (with no way to safely test the restore on another drive array/unless you have 2 additional HDs), I would trial several imaging programs and make an image with all of them first before testing a restore. This would increase the chances that one will work.
    Besides Ghost 9.0 (even Ghost 8.0(2003) may work), I would definately consider Drive Snapshot as an ATI replacement. I haven't tried it, but it looks impressive.
    Bootit NG also looks promising. In the knowledge base, there was some mention of RAID, but nothing on SATA. So just try before you buy if possible.

One other to keep an eye on in the future is Raxco First Defense/ISR.
    Right now it only creates an uncompressed image to the same drive it is installed on (a good alternative to GoBack).
    If they add compression, Bootable CD/DVD image spanning, and backup/restore to other HD, I would consider it too.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  12. Red Barchetta

Devinco,

Thnaks again. I'll check into your suggestions. If I get one to work, I'll post details in the forum.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  13. rmy

rmy Registered Member

I have Norton Ghost 9. It Cannot see my Raid 0 on a Fastrak 378 controller on my Asus P4P800-E motherboard. Worse, Ghost 9 will not support creating a boot cd - you must boot from the product CD to recover. Therefore, Symantec would not be able to fix this bug without replacing the product CD.
    This should work - at bootup the message appears to press F6 to load drivers, just like the WinXP install disk. I load the drivers, but Ghost cannot see my raid drive at all.

14. aaa

aaa Guest

It works with SATA not sure about RAID 0

15. sap

sap Guest

I am trying to test 9.0 restore on XP Pro SP2. It backs up my system and I am trying to restore to a smaller test drive (that has more than enough room) but after restore xp tries to start but my computer keeps re-booting just after the xp splash screen. Any ideas?

16. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Make sure your image file is from an ACTIVE PRIMARY BOOT partition. Sounds like your problem is related to a boot loader configuration. Can you boot to safe mode?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.