True Image 8.0 - faulty rescue boot process

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ritchied, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ritchied

ritchied Registered Member

Hello,

I recently purchased True Image and subsequently installed the latest build: 768. I created a rescue boot cd which brings up the "desktop" when I boot to the cd. When I try and run, however, a test restore on an image that I created, my screen goes blank and my system reboots before I get to select any image let alone direct it for restoring.

Norton Ghost might be making a comeback if I do not get a fix on this matter, aside from a refund request.

I am running XP Home; 2 internal ide HDDs (4 partitions a piece) plus an external USB 2 Belkin caddy drive on which my Acronis image file resides. In the initial view all 3 physical drives are seen by the rescue desktop.

Please assist and advise if you can.

Thanks

Ritchie

2. jedunn

jedunn Registered Member

I too have just purchased TI8 and upgraded to 768. I can make an image on CD's but when I tried to restore the System C: partition from the created CD's by booting the bootable CD the program re-boots my system after I put the last or first CD of the 7 CD set in the drive. I cannot get the program to read the CD image. No error messages, the system, a SONY PCG-FRV25 laptop, just reboots. Any help would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

3. ritchied

ritchied Registered Member

Hello,

I have yet to receive a reply from Acronis Support on this matter. I have since tried disconnecting my external USB caddy, but to no avail. Any action that involves drive checking in the recovery environment causes the process to crash and my computer to restart.

I perhaps should have stuck to the trial version, but I needed a backup solution and I beleived that the trial version did not have all of the features.

Please keep up the pressure on Support.

All the Best

Ritchie

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ritchie --

Please, can you tell me where exactly does the product take you before it reboots? What is the last screen you see?

Thank you.

5. Ogie

Ogie Guest

Dear Anton,

I have the same problem and could not get any answers from the thread. I just recently sent this to acronis support.

When I clicked on the Create or Recover Icons, the system rebooted. Below is the TI version and build, OS platform and hardware where I tested our licensed version.

TI v8.0 build 768
    Windows XP Professional SP1
    Toshiba Tecra M2

Ogie

6. Gordon

Gordon Guest

I have the exact same problem!

When I run TI v8.0 build 764 from CD, the CD boots up fine. But immediately after I try any of the commands (such as restore), the computer reboots.

Also, the mouse doesn't work when I boot from CD.

But the big problem is the automatic rebooting after selecting Restore.

I also use a Toshiba Tecra M2 laptop. I use Windows XP Professional SP2.

Gordon

7. jmacmillan

jmacmillan Registered Member

I have the exact same problem.

Toshiba Tecra M2
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    Latest build of TI server 768

8. jmacmillan

I could not help but notice that all of us seem to be using a Toshiba Tecra.

I wonder if Acronis has looked into compatibility with this brand?

I was able to create an image, but choosing restore reboots the box.

9. jedunn

jedunn Registered Member

It is not unique to Toshiba. If you see my earlier note you will notice that I am using a SONY notebook. :eek:

10. Gibbo

Gibbo Registered Member

I am having the same problem, using a Toshiba tablet, but have read the complaints and requests from a number of members of this forum who are using a few different brands of laptop (IBM, Compaq, Toshiba) and experiencing identical problems. I suspect the problem may be laptop related, but have no clue why?

Come on Acronis; if this is not your number 1 priority (to fix a problem that makes your TI8 product USELESS to laptop/tablet users) then you must be experiencing some serious difficulties!

11. Same Problem here with DELL SX280

12. Acronis Support

Hello --

Please try the "acpi=off noapic" solution :

Please boot from the Acronis True Image 8.0 rescue disc and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears. After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please add "acpi=off noapic" parameter to the kernel command line being the last one (do not remove the word "quiet") and click on the OK button. That should sort out the problems.

Thank you.

13. jmacmillan

I am about to test this out, but I am curious if anyone found this successful?

Acronis, are you planning on fixing this with a patch or other mechanism? It seems like this problem is pervasive enough to justify it getting some attention (at least more than it has been getting to date)

14. jmacmillan

OK, this did nothing...assuming I intrepreted the solution correctly.

I did hit f11 at the appropriate time, and found the "Linux Kernel Sttings" dialog, whewre the word "quiet" was entered. I entered the requested command after the word 'quiet', as suggested. It would have looked like this:

QUIET acpi=off noapic

This seemed to make absolutely no difference, as just when I clicked on the checkered flag to start a restore, it rebooted the box.

Anyone else get this to work?

I need to get a solution from Acronis, or a refund.

15. Gordon

Gordon Guest

I found a solution to get the TI 8.0 boot CD to work properly on the Toshiba Tecra M2 laptop. Everything works now except the mouse. Previously the system would reboot after any operation was initiated.

Here's the solution I found:

Go into BIOS (press DEL key on startup).
    Go to screen 2 of the BIOS (Page Down key).
    Disable USB Legacy FDD emulation.

Now the CD will work properly.

I tried disabling other emulations and changing other settings to see if I could get the mouse to work. No luck yet.

Jmacmillan, try this. I bet it will work now for you.

Gordon

16. Gordon

Gordon Guest

Correction to my earlier post. To get into BIOS you press the ESC key.

Gordon

17. Gibbo

Gibbo Registered Member

Gordon, you are a dead set legend! I have just restored my TI8 image, built under XP SP2, without any problems!

"Disable USB Legacy FDD emulation" under the BIOS is the Key.

I'll start a new thread with this info, as I am guessing there are a few people waiting for this fix.

Thanks and well done.

Gibbo

18. jmacmillan

Hooray!!

This is clearly the key. One interesting thing though is Acronis' assertion on the F11 thing. The reply posted was a canned reply posted in several other threads, most having nothing to do with this problem. As far as I see it, Gordon has just done the Acronis tech support's job, and he should get paid for it, not them.

Maybe Acronis can take Gordon's lead and write the software so that legacy USB support is in fact supported as claimed? I can easily assume that there are people out there booting from USB floppys, since they have stopped putting them in machines.

19. cityman

cityman Registered Member

To Anyone who read this-

i have a toshiba satellite laptop and Gordon's solution works very well. I have tried all the other so-called solutions.. i was able to restore my program; i was using ATI v 8 build 768 but could not restore until i was able to disable the USB Legacy FDD emulation.

my thanks also to mazaprin who did the research on this and informed of this wonderful solution.

20. CBreeze

CBreeze Guest

Gordon should definately get a check from Acronis. Think of all the satisfied customers he just created for them. On my IBM Thinkpad A30 its:

F1 for Bios>Config>Floppy Drives>Legacy Floppy Drives>Enabled

This lets me restore from F11 via the Startup Recovery Manager and the image in the Secure Zone on my C drive. I have not tried the Recovery CD yet with an image from my second hard drive but I'm sure it would work.

21. Gordon

Gordon Guest

I downloaded the very latest Acronis True Image 8.0 Build 771 and improvements have been made. I was able to undo the BIOS settings I had made earlier to allow the earlier builds to work (i.e, I re-enabled USB Legacy FDD emulation) and now my mouse works (it hadn't before) and the CD still works!

Yay!

Gordon

Tecra M2 Laptop

22. jazmaan

jazmaan Registered Member

Thanks for the update! After reading these threads for several days, I finally went ahead and purchased True Image 8 instead of Ghost 9, based mainly on the fact that Acronis had just made a new update available. I'm glad I waited a few days to make my decision. I'd read some disparaging remarks here about Acronis Support, but hey, at least they do have a forum and at least they are here fixing problems. That tipped the scale for me over Ghost 9.

23. JNR

JNR Guest

I have a sony vaio laptop (vgn-a150) and i dont have these options in the bios. Any alternative means to turn off this thing that is causing the restart?

24. Acronis Support

Hello JNR,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

If this doesn't help please describe the problem in details. We will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.