TI 8.0 - Incorrect Estimated Time to Create Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Menorcaman, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to TI 8.0 Build 768. However, I've only just noticed that the Compression Level dialog in the Create Image Wizard states the estimated time for creating a full image is less than 1 minute. This estimate remains the same whether I select None, Normal, High or Maximum compression.

Creating an actual image works just fine, with the estimated time remaining starting off at 8 minutes for a 4.313GB image file.

The Create Image Wizard compression level dialog previously gave the correct time estimation when using either True Image v6.0 or v7.0.

I flagged this glitch to Acronis Support on 16 August and will post the outcome. In the meantime I'd be interested to know if anyone else has come across this little "feature" in TI 8.0.

Regards

2. presrc

presrc Registered Member

3. Menorcaman

Hi Precrc,

Many thanks for the link. Nice to know that this glitch isn't just due to the config of my rig. No response from Acronis Tech Support yet (other than their initial acknowledment) but watch this space as they say.

As you can see from my sig below, I've a reasonably complex combination of hard drives and optical drives. In addition, I've also got a Conceptronic 6 in 1 USB 2.0 flash card reader/writer. However, I ALWAYS disconnect this when creating or restoring an image from the Boot Rescue Disk as it invariably causes TI (versions 6.0, 7.0 or 8.0) to stumble.

I too have had my fair share of problems with TI, as well as Disk Director Suite & Drive Cleanser regarding compatibility with my SiI 3112 SATA & ITE 8212 GigaRAID drive controllers. Can't remember how many test ISO's I've downloaded on behalf of Acronis (on a 48kb dial-up connection :'( ) but give the guys their due, they've always come good on subsequent builds (problem with the USB 6 in 1 card reader not withstanding!!).

Regards

4. Menorcaman

Update.

Just forwarded the following to Acronis Support (Ident # 138475) along with the associated screenshots:

Since my original email I've discovered the following which might help the Acronis Development Team isolate my reported problem:

If I accept the default path and file name in "Create Image Wizard - Image Archive Creation" (see Screenshot 1 in the attached MS Word document) the estimated time to create an image seems to function correctly (Screenshot 2).

However, if I select the path and file name myself (Screenshot 3) then I'm back to the original symptom i.e. the estimated time to create the image remains at 1 minute, irrespective of the compression level selected (Screenshot 4).

Unquote

Hope Acronis Development Team understand what's going on because I'm damned if I do o_O

Regards

5. Menorcaman

Re: TI 8.0 - Incorrect Estimated Time to Create Image (#138475)

Another twist in the tale!! The symptoms described in my previous post only manifest themselves when creating images from within Windows. If Acronis TI 8.0 is started in boot rescue mode (i.e. when prompted to reboot from within windows or using the bootable rescue disk) then the time estimation functions correctly.

Acronis Support have been advise (#138475) but, reading this Forum, I accept that they have more pressing issues to deal with first.

Regards

6. presrc

presrc Registered Member

Hello Menorcaman,
    Yes, I'm still lurking around waiting for some Acronis Magic. Something you just posted interests me though. The statement (i.e. when prompted to reboot from within windows...). When are you prompted to reboot? I have not been asked to do that in all my experiments.
    Ken

7. Menorcaman

Hi Ken

Bit uconventional I know but if you attempt a restore to your main system drive/partition you will then be prompted to Reboot (see attached screen dump). After rebooting, Acronis will restart in rescue mode (Linux o/s ?) from where you can choose to create or restore an image etc. Hope this all makes sense!!

Regards
    Tom (a.k.a. Menorcaman)

Attached Files:

8. Menorcaman

Re: TI 8.0 - Incorrect Estimated Time to Create Image (#138475)

The above is extracted from an email received from Acronis Support (Pavel) on 25 August. I asked Pavel whether he wished to reconsider his response before I posted it on this Forum but haven't heard anything further.

I fully understand that an estimate can only be an approximation based on local circumstances. However, what I don't understand is why the estimated time feature functioned correctly in TI 6 and TI 7 when creating images (either under Windows OR the boot rescue mode) but only appears to function properly in TI 8 when in boot rescue mode.

I know this is only a very minor glitch compared to some of the other issues with TI 8 but feel Acronis could have provided a more plausible answer.

ANTON - if you are reading this do you have anything to add?

Regards

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello --

Well, this is definitely not the appropriate behaviour of TI 8.0. I'll consult with our developers whether they have any idea why that might happen. Also, I'll let our most experienced Support Team member know about that problem and he might answer you through the same ticket (#138475).

Thank you.

10. Menorcaman

Hello Anton,

Many thanks for your intervention. I'll wait to see what transpires.

Kind regards
    Tom

11. jbuch

jbuch Registered Member

pamela

Ah yes..... the VERY FAST backup of less than one minute < 1 minute.

That was one of the first things that got me mildly upset.

And, evidently it has been around at least one month........

and nobody has a good reply.

Seems to me that the Acronis employees don't use their own products, or at least the products that the consumers have on their machines.

"There ought to be a low...." that forces software employees to daily use the software they sell.

"There ought to be a law" ..... that forces US Congress to have the same health care plan as 40 million dumb slobs working for small companies.-- none.

Jim

12. Menorcaman

Result! The above e-mail was received from Acronis Support (Vladimir) this afternoon. Looks as if this minor bug in TI 8.0 will be sorted in a forthcoming new build.

Regards to all
    Tom

13. Menorcaman

UPDATE

Problem fixed in Build 774.

Regards
    Tom

14. ?James-B

?James-B Guest

I also notice this time estimation problem, with TI 668 and now with build 774.
    Also, TI, at least on my system insists on timestamping image files in GMT. instead of my local system time.
    I can live live with these small issues as I'm sure the TI staff will get around to correcting them, and in the meantime thet do not affect the usability of Trur Image.

15. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

Menocamen claims the time issue was fixed in the new build 774. You say it is still there. Very starnge.....I may have to try the build myself and see!

Tipton

16. Menorcaman

Hi Tipton

Since installing Build 774 I've created a number of images in Windows mode and in each case the estimated time has worked correctly. This has also been confirmed by others in different threads. I have no idea why it appears not to work for James-B. Perhaps a complete uninstall/reinstall is in order?

Regards

17. James-B

James-B Guest

Menorcaman...
    you seemed to have hit the nail on the head!
    A total uninstall plus a registry cleanup using "Regseeker"
    then a fresh install of TI build 774 has indeed fixed my time issues, both the image timestamps and the estimated backup time.

Thanks to all.
    James

18. Menorcaman

Glad we could help :)

Whilst I and many other haven't experienced problems with installing over the top of a previous build, some people have reported all sorts of strange effects. An uninstall plus registry purge of all TI keys followed by reinstall worked the magic for most of them.

Regards

19. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

The estimated time issue was also fixed here with build 774!

Tipton

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.