Free KAV based on demand scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sard, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sard

sard Registered Member

I remember reading about a free KAV based on demand scanner but can't find the link any more. Any ideas? It was one you could download.

2. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

3. sard

sard Registered Member

4. iwod

iwod Registered Member

That is interesting........I am downloading to test it now.

5. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To everyone from Firefighter!

Be carefull to scan your whole system, because eScan Free 4.4.6 deletes and/or renames all infected files that it has detected. Personally, I'm using this av ONLY to make my own test scans or to scan "My Downloads" folder.

About the detecting rate of eScan - I removed those renamed infections from my 2040 infected archives collection that eScan has left behind and some - "not a virus - riskware" - labeled stuff, after that I scanned my rest collection with KAV 5.0.149 by using it's extended database, KAV found nothing. Totally 1929 detectings, although there were some 35 polyengines among RISKWARE, that even KAV wasn't able to detect. Quite amasing!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

6. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Hi Firefighter
    A bit of topic but does kav detect these 35 if you use x updates?(you will have to download to your pc from kav ftp site then have kav5 update from local folder)
    Steve

7. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To steve1955 from Firefighter!

KAV 5.0.149 does not have x-updates, only those updates that were before called as "-ex" updates. But, I remember, that I have scanned most of those files with KAV 4.5 by using those paranoid "-x" updates and KAV missed still more than detected, as it is the case just now, but KAV detected still more than most of my checked av:s and was beaten only by F-Prot 3.15 (detected one more, 16) against those polymorphic engines.

Best regards
    Firefighter!

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

If you copy the x updates folder from the kav ftp site to your pc can you not set kav5 to update from this now "local" folder and use the x updates?,when I ran kav5 on my pc it seemed to work
    Steve

10. webster

webster Registered Member

Some detections are flagged as "riskware", "tool", and "dialer", and will not be deleted or renamed.

11. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

That tool uses XBASES and yes 4.5 detects the same files when useing XBASES. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.