v8 not skipping pagefile, hiberfile?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bjcleaver, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjcleaver

bjcleaver Guest

I thought the new version was supposed to omit pagefile and hiberfile from the backups? I just ran an incremental and was wondering why it was so large, and viola, there were the pagefile and hiberfile.

Anyone know how to exclude these??

2. raistlin2k

raistlin2k Guest

same problem here, files are not skipped, no increase in speed compared to v7,

What's wrong??
    Thanks Raist

3. foghorn

foghorn Registered Member

Just curious to learn how to concluded this. If I were to explore an incremental backup I would expect to see these files because they would be present in the underlying base image.

Are you saying that the file date on the pagefile/hiberfile files is after the date that you base image was done?

Mart

4. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I just d/l it so I haven't tried it yet, but I would think it would skip the Pagefile and Hiber-file by default (so the base image would not have them either). If it doesn't ... well, where's the improvement?

5. bjcleaver

bjcleaver Registered Member

I'll need to check the timestamps on the incremental, but the pagefile/hiberfile aren't supposed to be included in the base image in the first place with this new version.

6. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Yeah, I just did an image and I explored it; I see the Pagefile and Hiberfile in the base image.

7. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

See the thread "PAGEFILE.SYS and 8.0". The solution is posted there by "beenthereb4". *puppy*

8. bjcleaver

bjcleaver Registered Member

Hmmm, the "solution" makes total sense. But the size of my incremental backup still makes me wonder, since I did not have many files that changed between the original and incremental (my original was ~7GB, the incremental ~1.5GB). I'll keep monitoring the weeklys.

9. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

I just finished a clean install of XP pro SP2. I did alot of imaging along the way with TI 7. Towards the end, I switched to imaging with TI 8, and the latest build. The image creation process was super fast with TI 8, compared to TI 7. The last image I made was with all my software installed, and the file was smaller than the previous image file with less software, done by TI 7. I imaged over 4 gig in under 60 seconds with TI 8.

Tipton

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

The hibernate and paging file names are present in the image, but the data is absent.
    If you explore/restore the image, then in some cases you will get zeros when reading these files, in other cases - "random" data.

11. stevens21

stevens21 Guest

Using ATI V8.0, I made an image copy of a 20GB hard drive and stored the .tib file on a network drive. Then I restored the image to another 6 GB hard drive, letting ATI automatically resize it from 20GB -> 6GB. The size of the actual data on the 20GB drive is only 1.09 GB, the rest is empty. Then I installed the 6GB hard drive on the PC as the Primary C drive and booted the PC. The PC booted up into Windows 2000 to the Admistrator logon and password. I entered the password and logged on and Windows gave me a message stating that the Pagefile.sys files was either too small or non-existent and explained how to increase the size, and it had an "OK" message box. So I click "OK" and Windows takes me back to the Administrator logon screen. I log on again and the then I get back to the Pagefile.sys message again with the "OK" message box.

Windows 2000 kept cycling through this sequence, never letting me actually log on and get to "My Computer" so I could increase the Pagefile.sys size. There is a pagefile.sys file on the disk with a size of 384,216 KB, but it says it's too small or non-existent. And Windows 2000 won't let me log on to get to it.

Is the problem happening because happening because I restored a 20GB image to a 6GB hard drive? Or is there some other problem. Also, Does anyone know how I can get by the Administrator logon/pagefile.sys continuous loop dilemma so I can bypass everything and get to My Computer to increase the pagefile size?

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

13. hushp1pt

hushp1pt Registered Member

I just ran into the same problem, from a slightly different cause- used Acronis Disk Mgr to copy old hard drive to new hard drive. Did you ever find a way to break the cycle?

14. ccclark

ccclark Registered Member

Hi, I'm a registered user (serial # ending "UG36G") of version 8.0 (upgraded to build 786) on W2K

I'm having the same problem as Stevens21 and have tried the suggested MS workaround by adding system and administrators permissions to my boot volume, but still cannot get past the pagefile/login loop. Note that I used the disk cloning functionality in TI successfully. Are you sure you don't have other ideas for a workaround?

I have another idea, but want Acronis feedback before trying:
    1) Create separate partition(s) for pagefile.sys removing ALL paging to that partition. Best performance if partition(s) put on another disk(s) on secondary ATA bus, but I think simpler backup strategy if on same boot disk.
    2) Clone (not image) pagefile.sys partition to backup disk.
    3) Use TI image creation to the backup disk for the boot partition only. The cloned paging partition remains static.
    Thereafter, if the boot disk is lost or totally trashed (including the paging partition) I first re-clone the paging partition and then use TI's image restore for the boot image. The pagefile.sys is not synchonized with respect to the restored boot image, but at least it is not zeroed out. The tricky part is whether I've restored the drive mapping as originally specified under step 1)

What do you think? My purpose here (and the reason I bought TI) is to backup partitions without having to reboot. Disk cloning works for me using both Acronis TI and Norton Ghost, but both also require that damn reboot for cloning. I considered the newest Ghost version which is also supposed to image (not clone) without reboot, but it requires more RAM and .NET which I want to avoid, if possible. Please advise.

Thank You,
    --C. Clark

15. WYFR

WYFR Registered Member

Good to know. Because I read in the Acronis TI help files that this feature is only available in the server edition of TI.

Quote from help:

"Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Windows does not include swap file information (win386.swp under Windows 98/Me and pagefile.sys under Windows NT/2000/XP), or hiberfil.sys (a file that keeps RAM contents when the computer goes into hibernation). This considerably reduces the image size and increases the speed of creating the image."

WYFR

16. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi

The download of TI 8.0 Build 786 (non server version) has the server version User's Guide/Help File included by mistake (check title on page 1 of the pdf file). Download the correct pdf file from acronis.com and you'll see that the paragraph you quote from is identical other than it doesn't include the word "Server".

Regards

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  17. WYFR

WYFR Registered Member

Thanks for this information.

WYFR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.