Mail-spam filtering/programs:

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by SG1, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Anyone know, one way or another, about spam filter jwSpamSpy program? Came across link to that site tonight; looks interesting, but I wonder if anyone uses it and could tell me about it - pros/cons, etc?
    Thanks, SG1 (Pat)

2. dread

dread Registered Member

Lol US$29.95 if I am gonna spend money I will do it on mcafee spamkiller which I aready do. But if you want to go the free way there is a very good best free one I have seen is http://spampal.org/. Spampal has the DNSBL lists and white Whitelisting, probally more of the same things things that jwSpamSpy does. Only problem with spampal is that it does'nt do hotmail/msn accounts with out an extra app. If you want to to use spampal to do hotmail/msn and yahoo accounts get mrpostman http://mrpostman.sourceforge.net/ for other software to get and check your hotmail/msn yahoo etc.. email look here http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=47212. I know yahoopops will work with spampall and so will mrpostman.

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

SG1, you might deeper consider your options.

Take this quick thread jump to #134. The poster makes a good point...

GF

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

In addition to GF's link, you may also want to try MailWasher which many people use.

Now, it's not free for the current versions, but here is a link to the last FREE version of it, which works brilliantly.

MailWasher_Last FREE Version

I have the PRO, and if you want some screenies, will post.

Delete from server any crap, you can read your email within the program without even dl'ing the email. Warns of attachments, etc. etc. Filters, Blacklists, FriendsList.

When you install MW, it will ask if you want to import all your settings to MW from Outlook/Outlook Express from memory. Very easy to set up though. you do have to have it configured with your ISP's Username, Password and POP3/SMTP settings, but it will help. If stuck, simply open up your Outlook/OE and look at the accounts in there.

Cheers, TAS

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Another nice one:

Frontgate MX
    is the personal email filter that's effective and easy to use, and with its superior "one step" operation, it won't change the way you work. Best of all, Frontgate MX is free. Discover the advantages of Frontgate MX*

> Filter, List, Preview, Accept, Delay, Reject, Report or Tag incoming mail before it reaches your PC;
    > Dirty word filtering, HTML stripping, dangerous attachment pacification;
    > "One click" integration with popular email clients;
    > Advanced self-training hybrid filter technology with RBL support;
    No cost, no adds, no tricks and no limitations;
    > The convenience of "one step" (POP3 proxy) operation with the power to list and preview waiting mail.

http://www.allsecpros.com/#fgmx

6. Tassie_Devils

Gerard.. That does look promising [although I have MW, I still like to look at others for recommendations].

Have/do you use it?
    Any screenies?

Could not see any at site, which btw, lists security apps like SWB/SpybotS&D.

TAS

7. gerardwil

Hi Tassie,

Yes I am using it with Thunderbird 0.7.3. no probs. Before I used it with Outlook, also no probs. Installing is very easy. Attached a screenshot which appears when you click on "get mail" in TB. The message stays on the mailserver till you decide what to do with it. From 100 spampoints it will be deleted from server but you can change to receive it.
    Greetings,

Gerard

Attached Files:

8. gerardwil

Options Window in FrontgateMX:

Attached Files:

9. gerardwil

One more:

Attached Files:

10. gerardwil

11. Tassie_Devils

Thanks Gerard very much ;)

I am sure people reading [including the original poster] will find that helpful.

Looks very similar to MW with it's options, etc., and certainly from the site gives detailed features of it.

Posted pic of MW [PRO version though, some features not in the original free one].

TAS.

Attached Files:

12. GlobalForce

Commends to (dread, Tas, and gerardwil) for expanding this thread. :cool:
    Hope this helps SG1.

GF

13. DunbarKC

DunbarKC Registered Member

14. GlobalForce

Welcome to the Forums DunbarKC,

Nice of you to add your input. ;)

GF

15. DunbarKC

DunbarKC Registered Member

Hi GlobalForce.

You live in New Jersey. It's only 7 or 8 hours from Montreal (Quebec), CANADA. Go Mets Go or Go Yanks Goo_O .... lol

Very happy to appreciate my input.

I'm very interested by the American elections.

Bill Clinton - My Life, oufff!!! it's a human book. OK I'm Canadian, but he was one of the best President of USA, non doubt about that. One of my passion is history. Bill Clinton and John Lennon like peace unlike GW Bush.

I stop here. The discussion board isn't a political board, lol......

Have a good evening GlobalForce.

DunbarKC
    Peace in the world

16. Tassie_Devils

Hi DunbarKC, welcome also from me. :D

@SG1 / Pat....

Here's that screenie re filtering I promised via IM mate. :)

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

• 018.GIF
      018.GIF
      File size:
      19.4 KB
      Views:
  17. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Tassie Devils;

Thanks for your return IM note, and screenshot; but as I possibly didn't explain what I want in the best fashion, I'll try again.
    I once had filter in MWPro that would > automatically delete ALL mail, without my ever even seeing it in MWPro pane/s, UNLESS the sender was in Friends list or mentioned in a filter. < So, the sender exists, or not, as it were.
    So what I'd like from MWPro, or even another mail checker, is this: if sender does not reside in the Friends list (or perhaps separately in a filter)... they don't exist as far as I or MWPro know, period. Rather, a crude/effective blunt instrument, is what I am after. That would mean my seeing a 99% reduction in MWPro panes, to view.
    And again, all I can vaguely recall about this filter I once had that I'd seen on some forum long ago, was that it was roughly a *.* type of filter. So, everything was "disappeared," but for senders on the Friends list (or if mentioned in a filter).

Thanks, SG1 (Pat)

18. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Hi SG1, You dont need Mailwasher to create such a filter. In outlook Express create a mail rule whereby you say 'If the from line does NOT contain people.........................[ then add all your friends list] then delete from server. That way you will only get mail from people in your friends list. But remember to put this rule at the top to prioritise over other rules. Obviously all other mail will be deleted before you see it, whether you want it or not.
    Gordon

19. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Since spam is on the menu here, I'd also suggest some prevention. Sign up with a site offering email aliases - then you can give a separate alias to each person (or business) that you deal with. If you start to receive spam (which you will sooner or later) this offers the advantage that you can shut down the alias concerned (without affecting other legitimate emails) and identify who leaked your address.

The site I would recommend for this is SpamGourmet (no need to create aliases in advance, multiple domains available and allows you to send email via an alias, disguising your real address in any replies). Others offering a similar service include SneakEmail (requires aliases to be created in advance) and SpamMotel. All are free (but accept donations or offer premium services).

For a once-off email drop, consider using Mailinator instead.

20. meneer

meneer Registered Member

K9 also free and probably the smallest of them all. After the learning period, a consistent 98+% reliability.

21. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I prefer Mailwasher PRO.

22. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Some other freebies which are considered to work very well:
    - Popfile: http://popfile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl (be sure to magnify, once your on that webpage :D )

and of course K9, as posted by meneer.;)

:oops: dread already mentionned SpamPal. Removed the reference.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  23. Clowny

Clowny Registered Member

I've been using POPFile for over a year now & it's a great spam filter for my needs. Mailwasher Free was nice to play around with too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.