How can I get Command AV to *back off*?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bellgamin, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I now use DrWeb as my primary AV, with CAV serving as one of my back-ups. Problem is, every time I download an update to CAV's signatures, it again puts entries in the registry to make itself the primary AV. I use RegProt to block at least 4 such attempts with every update. Even so, CAV insists on putting its icon in my system tray. A right-click on that icon produces NO way to turn it off. I have to reboot to get rid of it.

Unlike the my other AVs {DrWeb, ClamWin, AntiVir, EZ AV}, CAV offers NO configuration option for making it cease its attempts to be my real-time monitor.

Is there a way to get CAV to back off? o_O

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Hi Bill

I only use CSAV as a primary scanner and therefore the following are only SUGGESTIONS;

1. Uninstall your present version and during a new install choose CUSTOM INSTALL and then deselect the Running Monitor- Dynamic Virus Protection – DVP. You should then just have CSAV as a backup scanner only.

2. With your present install of CSAV, you can disable DVP either from the tray icon or from the main GUI. For example from the tray icon, right-click, > Configure DVP>deselect ‘Enable DVP’. A reboot may be necessary after the change. Or from the main GUI, >Preferences>DVP and deselect again.

You can also run msconfig or a startup manager to stop some of the CSAV running processes from starting, including the scheduler.

But the tray icon stays visible even with the DVP disabled or not installed. This is an overall control icon for the program, and it therefore does not always indicate that the RTM is running.

Hope this works. Maybe someone who uses CSAV regularly as a backup scanner can confirm the above or offer their advice.

3. bellgamin

Thanks Blackcat. Excellent guidance, as always.

Solution #2 didn't work.

Solution #1 did work -- after a fashion.

_/Even with DVP not installed, CAV still puts the following files onto my startup: CSAV_CheckViruses {vchek.exe}, untray, avtray, AVSchedScan {schsc9x}
    _/I disabled the above with a startup manager, but they got reinstated when I did an update.

Observations thus far: CAV may be a good antivirus program in terms of protection, but it lacks *polish* in many respects...

_/At installation it gave me no choice as to where it should be installed. I like to keep all my AVs in a certain file on drive D. Without asking, CAV installed itself to drive C.
    _/I like to keep my Start Menu arranged so that all Security programs are in a specific folder. CAV offers no choice as to where {or whether} it will put itself on the Start Menu. It puts itself into a separate line. I relocated it into my Security folder, with the rest of my AVs, ATs, etc. But every time I update, CAV re-enters itself as a stand-alone entry on the Start Menu.
    _/In order to update, I have to open CAV's GUI. When CAV starts installing its update, it stops & tells me to manually shut down the GUI. Very unpro, if you ask me.
    _/Trying to update from any site other than USA results in inactivity. There is no pop-up saying, "You can't do that." The program merely does nothing.
    _/Since DVP wasn't installed, & I did not configure CAV for scheduled scans, I cannot understand why CAV tries to reinstate processes into startup every time I update it.

Bear in mind, some or all of these situations might be the result of the fact that:
    1- My OS is WinME -- which makes a programmer's task somewhat similar to running the 100 meter dash with his knickers pulled down around his ankles.
    2- {And/or} I am FAR from being adept at configuring complex programs. :p

By the way -- if CAV were my main AV, its persistence at reinstating itself at every startup or update might well be viewed as something of an advantage, wot?

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

bellgamin,

Observations thus far: CAV may be a good antivirus program in terms of protection, but it lacks *polish* in many respects...

If you recall I took to this CAV program about the same time as you. If you mean at least in part by lacks polish as in user direction in the installation and set up process. I absolutlely agree with you. At times I felt o. k. I guess it is working and just about the time I thought I did something wrong. I figured it out. It should not really be that way. Glad it serves your purpose now.

Don't get me wrong I still like it!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running cav as an on demand scanner for now and even after update it stays disabled as an on access scanner. As far as the tray icon you are stuck with it. it won't shut off. All minor problems for an excellent antivirus.

6. bellgamin

I agree 150% with both of you. :cool:

grace & peace to all... bellgamin

7. Blackcat

Hopefully with the new version 5 ( just around the corner? ), CSAV will look and behave more like a Home User AV rather than the 'corporate' version in the present offering ;)

8. Blackcat

Just received this reply back from support at Authentium UK ( within the hour as usual!); they confirmed that you can play about with the CSAV running processes as I suggested but not ALL of them.

"Disabling DVP and the DVPRPT, AVTRAY and UNTRAY processes are possible but I recommend you don't kill the DVPAPI process as this can cause instability".

So bellgamin, may be worth playing about with SOME of the CSAV running processes ;)

9. Blackcat

It looks as if CSAV 5 may be a LONG way off;

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=43122

10. bellgamin

Thanks again. Here are CAV's startup files that I have disabled, & all seems to working as planned...
    CSAV_CheckViruses {vchek.exe}
    untray
    avtray
    avinit9x
    dvprpt
    AVSchedScan {schsc9x}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.