TIS7 hangs with ASUS P4C800-E

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by thedakster, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedakster

thedakster Registered Member

Hi, I have the latest DL of TIS7 and have just moved over to an ASUS P4C800-E MB. I have the boot disk as an Intel SATA Raid-0 Array (two WD 36 GB Raptors) on the Intel ICH5-R controller. Additionally, I have a Seagate 7200.7 160GB Sata drive on the promise controller (378 embedded controller). When I make the TIS boot CD and boot any action says "Please wait, processing" and hangs after about 10 seconds.

When I boot on an older PC without these drivers (older Dell) The "Please wait, processing", is followed by "examining drives."

The Boot on the ASUS MB never gets to this point. I have selectively disabled the Promise SATA controller and the problem goes away completely. I have also used the F11 interrupt to the loading process and added the parameters "acpi=off noapic" to the unix command line and this does not correct the problem.

Any recommends?

2. Brandes

Brandes Guest

I had this Probs with a ASUS A7V333 too.

Tray to change Function "APIC" in Bios to "PIC", if you have this Function

have a nice day

Ronny

3. thedakster

Thanks, I looked at the MB Manual, and there is an Enable/Disable for "ACPI APIC" support. Is this what you mean? The problem goes away if I disable the Promise 378 SATA controller (but I need it).

Thanks
    Dave

http://providers.stronghealth.com/asus1.jpg

4. thedakster

Okay, I disabled ACPI/APIC support on the ASUS MB with no luck. Same problems. Hangs on "Please wait, processing..." after about 10 seconds.

I also used the acpi=off noapic parameters

I turned off quite and did see the following messages that seem to relate to the promise sata controller:

/bin/install sata_promise
    unable to reserve I/O regions #1:40@CDF00 for device 03:04:0
    init_module: sata_promise: unknown error 19

hopefully this will help. Acronis support, can you help here?

Thanks o_O

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, thedakster

Anton is very busy right now:- #1

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. thedakster

I have tried booting off an earlier build of TI7, but it specifically didn't recognize the promise SATA 378. Does anyone have a solution for TI7 hanging on the Promise SATA 378 controller on the ASUS MBs?

Please HELP!

7. LXC

LXC Registered Member

I have an MSI 865PE Neo2 MB with the on-board Promise 20378 SATA controller chip. My system also hangs forever on 'processing' when bootiing from the TI7 build 627 and TI8 rescue disk. Turining ACPI off did not help. TI7 build 613 did run fine with no hang and I was able to restore the SATA. I am working with the Acronis Development Team.

- LXC

8. engelfred

engelfred Registered Member

I have the same problems with ASUS P4C800 E-Deluxe with SATA- RAID, IDE-RAID and FireWire HDD. Build 613 run also fine, but without FireWire- HDD!

EF

9. thedakster

Can you please keep us up to date regarding the resolution of the promise sata 378 controller on this board at TI7/8?

Thanks

10. LXC

LXC Registered Member

I sure will.

- LXC

11. Olivier1001

Olivier1001 Registered Member

Hello all,

I have a P4C800 Deluxe and just bought TI 8.0. Like you when I tried to boot with the CD and boot any action says "Please wait, processing" and hangs after about 10 seconds. I really hope Acronis will come with a solution because for now the soft is useless :-(

12. thedakster

Acronis has blessed this forum as their "Official support forum" but recently has seemed too busy elsewhere to monitor and reply. Hopefully they will soon and won't get too far behind. I think we have all indentified an obvious deficiency in the way the software handles the Promise SATA378 controller on the board.

13. rford

rford Registered Member

Have the same problem with an ASUS A8V Deluxe with the Promise 20378. Have Dual RAIDs. Boot disk hangs on "processing".... I have a dual RAID as well with 2x 74GB RAPTORS on the VIA controller RAID0 and 2x WD 250GB Caviars on the Promise controllers as RAID 1 (reliable backup)

using TI8. Given what I've read in this thread, I guess I'm really asking for it.

When is Acronis going to fix thiso_O!! o_O

14. LXC

LXC Registered Member

Just an update. I just ran some additional tests for the Acronis Development team. Keep the faith the problem will be solved.

- LXC

15. Achim

Achim Registered Member

I hope so ... same problem here with P4P800 E Deluxe and Raid 0 Array :( ...

Rgds
    Achim

16. Olivier1001

Thanks LXC for the update. We cross our fingers ;)

17. Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta Registered Member

TI8 Build 763 also hangs in systems with SATA using Promise 378. I have this exact problem. My MOBO is a MSI K8T Neo-FISR2. It hangs in the exact same place described in this original Thread. I hope Acronis fixes this problem soon.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  18. LXC

LXC Registered Member

Update-

I tried the TI8 build 768 (latest driver) and the SATA / Promise 378 problem (hang) is not solved.

- LXC

19. Red Barchetta

LXC,

It seems that the only reason this does not work is because TI does not load the Promse 378n drivers. Is it possible to create a Boot CD that includes both the 378 drivers and the Acronis image? Alternately, could a Boot CD be created that prompts (F6) for the drivers before the Acronis Image is loaded?

I'm not probably deep enough technically to figure this out but it seems possible based on this thread in the forum.

Create bootable DVD?

Just an Idea.

20. LXC

LXC Registered Member

The TI CD recovery program is Linux based and I suspect Acronis is developing their own Linus device drivers. Prior versions of TI 7 starting with build 597 had no apparent problems recognizing, imaging and restoring the Promise 378 / SATA HD. With TI7 build 627 'changes' were made that caused the Rescue Disk to hang on recovery with the Promise 378/SATA HD. Isolating the cause of this problem and/or the solution is what Acronis is struggling with. Device drivers can be very complex After spending 30+ years as a Senior Engineer in Computer Hardware/Software Development I can sympathize with what the Acronis Development team is going through. Patience.

- LXC

21. Red Barchetta

Thanks for that Info LXC,

I can wait. I love the Program otherwise (use it on non SATA machines.) When they get this fixed, is it your experience that it should be able to work with my exisiting verified images?

22. LXC

LXC Registered Member

The images should work fine. With build 597 I imaged an IDE and restored to a SATA/Promise 378 HD.

- LXC

23. Olivier1001

I really hope they will solve this problem of drivers pretty soon, I cannot use the product I bought :(

24. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello All --

We are working on that matter now, so all the additional information is welcome. Please send it to support@acronis.com - it will help to speed the process up (basically I'm interested in the hradrware configuration of your computers).

Thank you.

25. thedakster

Hi Anton,
    I e-mailed all details to acronis support as you suggested. Did on 8/23 but haven't heard yet.
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.