True Image 8.0 - File Size bug

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wdormann, Jul 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Running True Image 8.0 demo...

If I say to split the image files at "2 GB", the image isn't created properly. 1KB files are created with the name <filename>n.tib as fast as my machine can, where 'n' is an incrementing number.

If I say to split the image files at "2000 MB", everything's copacetic.

7.0 did not have this issue.

2. jofallon

jofallon Registered Member

If I put in 4000 MB, the program tells me it will create files of around 3.906 GB, the n creates thousands of 1K files.

No such problem with version 7.

3. jofallon

Reducing the file size to 2000 MB seems to be working.

I'm putting the image on an NTFS partition with 100 gigs of free space. It had been able to handle 4 gig files before the version 8 upgrade.

I wonder if the image is any good. This is a pretty basic thing to mess up in a new version.

4. jimhend

jimhend Registered Member

Thanks. I am a new user V8 is the first for me. I was sure thinking I was screwing it up by getting the 1K segments. I want DVD size chunks of course.

5. wdormann

jimhend: Keep in mind that if you are using an ISO9660 filesystem (standard for CD or DVD), the maximum file size is 2GB. Or in TI8's case, 2000MB ;)

6. jofallon

True, but I was creating an image on an NTFS formated hard drive, on which True Image 7 had happily created 4 GB files for months. Upgrading to TI 8 ended that.

7. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

I had to try this for myself - wow what a weird one. I really don't like this bug at all!

8. mrkkbb007

mrkkbb007 Guest

The max file size split that I could get is 2,047 MB or 1.999GB, which corresponds to the maximum allowable FAT 16 size (I am using NTFS). NOTE: If you enter 2 GB or greater, you will get 1 KB chunks. I sure hope Acronis will fix this soon. Furthermore, it is quite odd that they would not include a DVD as part of the default split choices.

9. wdormann

Ah, yes. I forgot to mention that. With how common DVD burners are, that option should definately be there, and it would be quite trivial to implement.

10. kenlohwh

kenlohwh Guest

I am encountering error-code 15 "Invalid file size" each time I tried to create an image of my drive. I've tried un-installing/re-installing TI 8.0 Trial, however to no avail.

Any suggestion to get rid of the problem would be very much appreciated.

11. noonie

noonie Registered Member

I understand that this is a bug, but in reality, since Ti won't burn to dvd directly anyway, why don't you just set the file size to 650 mb and drag and drop these files onto you dvd. You will end up with about 6 tib files on a dvd and to restore just point to the last tib file and your restore will go uninterrupted from there. It also preps you for using cd's for storage.
    Acronis should fix this bug, but who knows when, and this works now.
    It works well for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.