Escan Anti-Virus??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dsr_sp, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsr_sp

dsr_sp Registered Member

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Overall I can't tell you how well it works. But it is a KAV clone.

3. Yes it uses Kaspersky engine but doesnt necessarilly mean its as good as the original, probably not. We dont know if they have modified it in any way or if it works in the same way. Its better than a lot of other online scans because it actually fixes your problem if it can, when it detects malware, if I remember correctly some other online scans like Symantec dont fix they just detect. I can just recount a personal experience with it which doesnt mean its scientific proof but it may be interesting. I dont usually get malware in all the years I have been online its very rare, but one time I did manage to pick up a few trojan droppers somewhere which were detected by my Kaspersky so once I knew they were on my pc I tried a few other antivirus to see if they could also detect them. Escan detected some of them but not all, it deleted the ones it detected. RAV online scan detected a few of them but couldnt remove them. Trend online didnt detect any. Panda online didnt detect any. So Escan is perhaps the best online scanner in my view.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

5. Arin

Arin Registered Member

due to its AVP engine its detection rate is good but its a resource hog and a little unstable in 9x platform. it uses a very old AVP engine but makes use of extended database. the cleaning capability is nothing to write home about. yes the stand-alone scanner is very good in its field.

6. dsr_sp

dsr_sp Registered Member

Thank you guys. I appreciate the help.

Regards

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

8. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

How to update eScan free AV toolkit?

I run dos file which was get with eScan free AV toolkit - kavupd.exe and it downloaded some files from Kaspersky's syte. (lot of files) Then I restarted my computer and there was no changes. Where are downloaded files? Do I have to copy them anywhere?

Regards

9. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Kloshar, i have some questions for you. those files were downloaded from Kaspersky's site or another site? how do you know nothing changed? the number of detected viruses should increase. search for a folder named BASES. when i ran that updater it created that folder in my C drive. i don't have a Net connection so nothing was downloaded though. i'm using Windows Me now.

10. kloshar

Hello!

Updated downloaded some files from ftp or http:// kaspersky ... /updates_x and extracted them into C:\bases.

And now? What to do with that downloaded updates?

11. Arin

Arin Registered Member

try copying and pasting them into the folder where MWAV tool is residing. overwrite all old database files. tun the tool and keep us posted.

12. kloshar

OK, I will!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.