How to block Referrer with Proxomitron ?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Defenestration, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Hi,

I've installed Proxomitron 4.5 and have configured my browsers to use it as the proxy. However, when I do the browser test on www.pcflank.com it tells me the Referrer is not being blocked, even though the "Referer: Hide where we've been (Out)" filter is enabled. The filter has a '*' in the "Header Value Match" and '\u' in the "Replacement text". Is this correct ?

How do I block the Referrer with Proxmitron ?

I've heard a lot of good things about Proxomitron, but this worries me a bit because I'm wondering if there are other filters that do not work.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Defenestration

It says my Referrer is blocked on this site.

When I tested Firefox against PCFlank browser test it failed until I blocked the Referrer by setting an option in Firefox itself and then it passed. This makes me think the PCFlank test is not biased.

How come IE fails the PCFlank test ?

Also, related to the Anonymizer tests, can Proxomitron be used to pass the Browser Info, Clipboard, and Sites Visited tests ?

I am using JD5000's filters.

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I'm using JD5000's filters too. Do you have Referer: Fake All Referrer Info - URL (Out) {7} enabled under HTTP Header Filters. Passes PCFlank's referrer check for me using either IE or Opera.

Nick

Attached Files:

5. Defenestration

I didn't have it enabled but even with it enabled, it still fails Referrer test on PCFlank:eek:(

Any other ideas on why it might not be blocking it ?

I'm using JD_Advanced Filter set.

6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Try clearing your browser cache and then redo the test.

Regards,

CrazyM

7. Defenestration

Solved the problem (sort of). I was using Avant Browser and since this uses IE "under the bonnet" I thought it was enough to tell it to use a proxy from the Internet Options dialog.
    Now I've set it from within Avant Browser's options, it's working perfectly.

However, IE itself does not seem to be using Proxomitron (I can tell this because nothing appears in the Log window when I navigate the web in IE), even though I've set it up to use the proxy in Internet Options.

The image shows what I've done. Is there anything else I need to do to get IE itself going through Proxomitron ?

Attached Files:

8. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hi Defenestration,

When in IE, open Proxo's panel from the tray - are the connections > zero?

Another check, are you running a firewall that shows running apps and showing outbound/inbound connections?

One more consideration - my ISP - MSN unchecks "use proxy" setting in the connections tab on sign in. I then re-check it and use IE. So perhaps something like that is happening to you.

Regards - Charles

9. Defenestration

Proxomitron shows 0 connections when browsing with IE. It definitely bypassing the proxy for some reason. The settings are as my screenshot, but for some reason they are being ignored.

It's not a big problem because I don't normally use IE, but I want to know why these settings are being ignored, even though they are clearly set.

10. zcv

zcv Registered Member

I have the same settings - I can't see anything wrong.

http://computercops.biz/modules.php?name=Forums&file=index&c=14

Proxo forums. There is a main forum - general - for posting questions/problems.

Regards - Charles

EDIT: Should have said in my previous post that it was MSNExplorer that unchecks the "use proxy" setting. So in back of my mind was the thought that whatever other browser you use did the unchecking - gives the same symptoms.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.