unwanted processes when TI is not running

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 666, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 666

666 Guest

schedul2.exe
    schedhlp.exe
    TrueImageMonitor.exe

If you only make images on demand and not on a schedule, these processes do NOT need to run untill you start up TI.

So why can't TI just start these processes when needed and turn them off when done?

('these processes use little resources' is NOT an acceptable answer)

2. xXx

xXx Guest

while Acronis is fixing this, maybe someone can post a script/batchfile that starts TI with the necessary processes?

3. 666

666 Guest

I'm sure there's an easier way, but this method works.

1) Make a folder called 'Acronis Startup Tweak' (or any other name) in the Acronis Program folder or any other convenient out-of-the-way location

2) right-click TrueImage.exe (in the Acronis Program Folder), click 'create shortcut', and put the shortcut in your Acronis Startup Tweak folder

3) right-click schedhlp.exe (in \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2), click 'create shortcut', and put the shortcut in your Acronis Startup Tweak folder

4) copy/paste the text below into notepad:

NET START "Acronis Scheduler2 Service"
    START schedhlp.exe.lnk
    START TrueImage.exe.lnk

5) save the notepad file as startacronis.bat (or any other name, as long as the extension is '.bat'. Put it into your Acronis Startup Tweak folder

6) Right-click the .bat file, click 'create shortcut', and put the shortcut in your start menu, desktop, quicklaunch bar or wherever you want it.

7) optional: right-click this shortcut and change the icon, e.g. use the icon in TrueImage.exe

When you doubleclick the .bat file (or shortcut to the .bat file), you'll see a dos-style box. The batch file will start the acronis scheduler service (takes a few seconds), the schedule helper program (very fast), and then Acronis True Image itself.

Now you can make an image or restore one.

When you quit Acronis TI, Schedule2 and schedhlp.exe keep on running. You can close them from the task manager.

4. 666

666 Guest

p.s.:

When you've done all the stuff above, quit all the acronis TI processes, run the batch file, and make an image.

If i works, type 'services.msc' into the startmenu run box, set Acronis Scheduler2 Service to 'manual', and use a program like jv16 powertools 1.3 (free version, get it at http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=jv16 ) or regedit to remove the acronis TI startup entries.

5. f123

f123 Guest

Keep it simple by imaging the partition OUTSIDE of windows. Note that the imaging software must be able to LOCK the active primary partition before it can start the imaging process. I don't mind the extra 30 seconds boot. Funny how software vendors continue to gobble-up RAMs and CPU clock time as PCs become more powerful. It's hard to find well-engineered software these days.

F.

6. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

To Image outside of Windows with TI do I boot with the boot disc and access the Acronis from there? I also wonder why I have the services running in the background all the time when I am only using Acronis to backup manually and that is not even everyday o_O I will be re-installing it soon and would like to create an image when XP is installed but would prefer to do this outside of Windows now that I know the about locking if this is possible on XP. Thanks

7. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Quote: 4) copy/paste the text below into notepad:

START schedhlp.exe.lnk
    START TrueImage.exe.lnk
    End Quote

Here is a little more to try:

START schedhlp.exe.lnk
    START /WAIT "C:\Progam Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImage.exe"
    NET STOP "Acronis Scheduler2 Service"
    PSKILL schedhlp

get pskill (free) from here:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pskill.shtml

Last edited: Jul 31, 2004
  8. f123

f123 Guest

Reboot the PC with the TI boot disc will allow the user to create/restore the image file outside of windows. I believe you can uncheck those items from WXP's startup tab (MSCONFIG) and not affect the performance of TI (since you are working outside of windows).

That's the main reason why I recommend Bootit ng. It works mostly off of the BIOS, and not the OS!

F.

9. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks for the further info about just using msconfig for disabling the running tasks. I did like the fact I could back up from within Windows but would prefer to create my image correctly so I will try the TI boot disc on the set up I have now as this will let me see exactly how to do it when I re-install.

I know when I use Ghost it sets up within Windows but then boots out of Windows to create the .GHO

Something to try tomorrow and hopefully the process will work to my external drive. I wonder why TI allow for creating without doing this when the lock has to be made o_O I presume an image acn be made from TI within the OS partition of another partition (eg Data) as this would not be active at the time o_O

10. f123

f123 Guest

I'm sure the TI engineers have tested this product to make sure that it can safely create the image file from within windows. That's why you have those items running in the background. TI will automatically boot out of windows if it cannot "safely" achieve a lock. All of this is just too complicated for my taste.

Imaging outside of windows is idiot proof. All the partitions are dormant, so there is a smaller chance that something can go wrong. You may never encounter a problem running TI in windows. But you must admit that there are more things that can go wrong if you attempt to image an active primary partition that is in use.

F.

11. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I was able to use msconfig to stop the service running all the time. I have also read through other posts and feel a lot better that the images I have created within Windows should be fine as I have verified them. I was really worried why TI stated it could be used within Windows and seemed to do so flawlessly that I had been doing it all wrong and subsequently have not imaged for a while :( I know when I asked about restoring an image The Quest guided me through booting with the disc outside of Windows which I didn't realise.

I will try an image from outside but I am sure the TI would not advertise the ability to create within Windows if it didn't work - I was worried I had locked something in Windows by doing this o_O hopefully either way is correct and I will still be able to use TI within Windows and only need to go out when I use Ghost o_O or if I needed to restore the OS with TI.

12. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Ok I actually tried this and am starting a new topic on how to really do it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.