Auto change of settings by SpywareBlaster?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Have Blue, Jul 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Have Blue

Have Blue Guest

Hi I was wondering when "Spyware Blaster" started changing IE settings to the more secure level i.e. "prompt". I asume it started happening within the last two updates? I find this feature should not have been automatic as I have a large user base that I help and when they all started to get prompts in IE I had no idea what changed their settings.

2. Have Blue

Have Blue Guest

Also while not a big deal and a good feature I just was caught off guard and it was a small problem for some who I had to hold their hands ;) to change the settings back.

Also I like to add your program is Excellent! Thanks for the hard work :)

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Have Blue,

What type prompt are you speaking of ?

SpywareBlaster does not change IE Zone settings but if SpywareBlasters Restricted Sites protection is enabled....it does indeed add many sites to the Restricted Zone and if one of those sites was visited....there would at times be Security pop-ups but they shouldn't be prompts unless the default High setting for that Zone was changed. As for the Internet Explorer protection feature....it adds entries that prevents those associated ActiveX components from being installed and can cause a Security pop-up but not a prompt.

4. Have Blue

Have Blue Guest

Thanks for the response; I was under that impression as well. The item that changed my mind is (even on my system) after the recent SpywareBlaster update I noticed on certain sites that dialog box comes up which only shows up if you have certain activex/scripting settings on prompt. When I investigated further I noticed my settings set on prompt. I then received reports from my user base (friends/family) ;) of similar reports, and they use Spywareblaster as well. So I proceed to revert the changes in IE to “allow”, which of course corrected the problem. I then proceeded to open "SpywareBlaster" to see if some item was added dealing with IE settings and to my surprise in the lower right hand corner was a warning box stating my IE settings were not recommended and click here to set them, which would have set them to the settings that produces the dialog boxes.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I agree SpywareBlaster has that feature and warning but the program itself does NOT Auto change of settings. A user would have to select....Click here and learn more and fix it....and then the user would have to select Set Recommended Values OR the user changes the settings via IE. As I stated earlier....the program itself does NOT automatically change the settings and I would caution these users about changing the ActiveX settings SpywareBlaster zeros in on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.